84 xl350r project. Big bore

Hello all, 

I am new to the forum. 

What I am up to is I have an 84 Xl350r that has recently run lean on a road trip and the piston got fried...

I have torn the top end apart and will attach photos of what I am explaining. 

So far basically I am looking for information on what anybody else has done with this motor. 

I want some info on what the best bore/piston set up would be and what I could expect for  displacement/ HP. Also what sprockets would be the best set up in combination with the motor build.

Also, any chassis modifications that anyone has been pleased with? I have been thinking about beefing up/ updating the front forks. 

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

• Like 1

What you have there is a complete engine strip down - pieces of the piston will be everywhere

• Like 1

I think you would be lucky to find the stock parts in good shape to be able to be able put it back together. I had an 85 XR350R and sold it due to,parts unavailable

Ok, thanks Midge. 

Undercover Poe, i am feeling the part unavailability pain... 

Fortunately the jug is in good condition. What i am planning on doing is boring it out and getting a new piston. So far the only place i have found one for the XL350r is XLint Performance. They have a second over kit. 

Anyone with some other suggestions?

Go on Partzilla.com, they have factory Honda parts for your bike. They have most of the bottom end bearings that you will probably need and any other misc parts

• Like 1

it seems you can bore the cylinder to 500 or 600cc.
I see smaller Hondas on Craigslist like 80s bored to 150.
Surely a 350 could be bored to 450 very easily.
---- I just re-read the post, it's a 1984 model.
Sorry

Edited by arthur6

Haha, arthur6 i can't imagine why would you be sorry that its an 84?... to tell the truth sometimes i want to pull my hair out because of the lack of parts available for this particular model. But nonetheless i am trying to look on the bright side and consider it a challenge to do something vintage and custom. This is my first rodeo with owning and building a bike, and i am getting quite the education. 

Yes, i am hoping to be able to beef it up somewhere in that range. 

I have seen a bunch of different topics on various forums about people doing a xr500 jug/piston set up but still using the cylinder head from the 350 and some sort of 3mm spacer for proper clearance of the 500 piston stroke.  There is a bunch of conflicting info on this from what i have read.  

I am wondering if anyone might have any info on this, or know of some reliable source of info for interchangeability of head, jug parts of these 83-84 RFVC models. 

Thanks,