2013 kx450f 20w50 oil?

Is it ok to run lucas 20w50 synthetic in my 2013 kx450f? Temps are usually 50-100 throughout the summer while riding

8 hours ago, kawi450fmw said:

Is it ok to run lucas 20w50 synthetic in my 2013 kx450f? Temps are usually 50-100 throughout the summer while riding

Yes you can. 

But it's better to run 10 instead of 20 because that's cold start thickness. 

So 10:50 is the recommendation in manual for hot summer days,  always run as your manual says if you want the best. 

Its that simple

Edited by skorpan777

yes, 20/50 is fine to use. esp in the deep south. 20/50 valvoline racing oil is all we use. If your not in the south, lucas 10/40 is fine. we use that in winter here. (if there is a winter to speak of)  

Yes you can.  But it's better to run 10 instead of 20 because that's cold start thickness. 

So 10:50 is the recommendation in manual for hot summer days,  always run as your manual says if you want the best. 

Its that simple

Its the cold start thickness at 0°F, the second number it the viscosity at 212°F. So if your riding your bike in 20° weather 10W40 would be better than 20W50.

On 2017-06-14 at 10:25 AM, ThrustWasher said:

Its the cold start thickness at 0°F, the second number it the viscosity at 212°F. So if your riding your bike in 20° weather 10W40 would be better than 20W50.

I consider all first starts cold starts. 

Warm whether does not equal warm/wormer  engine. 

Its still consider cold start. 

You can check it easy,  empty your engine oil on your finger and see if it's hot

I also run Rotella in the dirt bikes, great stuff. You can also run Valvoline synthetic 4T or mobil one 4T. Synthetic is best. 

I consider all first starts cold starts. 
Warm whether does not equal warm/wormer  engine. 
Its still consider cold start. 
You can check it easy,  empty your engine oil on your finger and see if it's hot

Call it what you want, thats not how viscosity is measured. Ive changed enough oil and rebuilt enough motors to know how the oil feels. Of course its gonna feel cooler, your body temp is 98.6 degrees.

10 hours ago, ThrustWasher said:

Call it what you want, thats not how viscosity is measured. Ive changed enough oil and rebuilt enough motors to know how the oil feels. Of course its gonna feel cooler, your body temp is 98.6 degrees.

Everyone is free to do what they want. 

I just  explain how it works

Edited by skorpan777

Everyone is free to do what they want. 
I just  explain how it works

I understand that but the way you explained it is not how it really is, its your feelings on the matter.

12 minutes ago, ThrustWasher said:

Thats not what i said at all. Right over your head i see.

Belive what you want I know what I know and don't see it so important as you to talk you over to the. "right" side as you seem to.... 

Belive what you want I know what I know and don't see it so important as you to talk you over to the. "right" side as you seem to.... 

It's "believe".
  • Like 1