New 15 tooth gear. What else before I test drive?

So I have my 15 tooth replacement of my 14 tooth. Please look at the pic. You see where the chain comes off the sprocket heading towards the rear tire. The upper and lower part of the chain is on that rubber.

Does that rubber need to be replaced or modified?

Will the centrifugal force of the chain pull away from the rubber and have no contact?

Better to ask now rather than having to order those rubber guards because I shredded the hell out of them. Thanks

Also, how does my chain free play look? Need to be tightened up a bit?

Image1496879724.842413.jpg

Image1496879429.652018.jpg

It will if you thread the chain on the sprocket , or , install the guard with the sprocket and chain.

It will if you thread the chain on the sprocket , or , install the guard with the sprocket and chain.

So what's the answer. Remove all the guards?

Thread the chain over the swingarm onto the countershaft sprocket with the guard on. You just can't go over the sprocket from the side with a 15t.

On the kick stand, I run my chain a bit looser than what your showing, almost touching the mud guard. (shy a 1/4")

You rubber/plastic swing arm guard shouldn't be an issue, especially with a 15 t . The 13t makes chain rub more. The guards do get some scrubbing, thats why they are there.

for case saver, on the 15t http://www.xrsonly.com/xrs-only-case-saver-honda-xr500r-xr600r-15-tooth-silver OR

you can fab something like it. Here are some images of case savers on the motor https://www.google.com/search?q=XRs+Only+Case+Saver++Honda+15+Tooth&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX_Z60j63UAhUDHT4KHWIeBxUQ_AUIBygC&biw=905&bih=558#imgrc=_

Also forgot to mention Fritzco has some template drawing to make your own.

Edited by bork

With a 15-tooth front sprocket, the chain is properly adjusted when you can push the chain down with your finger and just touch the end of the plastic guard (which you are calling rubber) that protects the swingarm.  This when the bike is on the sidestand with no weight on it.  If you can get the chain to touch the swingarm behind the plastic guard, it's too loose.

You need to replace the guard either when it wears through to the swingarm or when it starts to fall off.  I've replaced it once in 20,000 miles on my bike.  I may be due to replace it again in a few thousand more miles.

Chain GUIDE...and chain SLIDER. We're talking two different parts. Hes asking about the chain SLIDER. It wasnt rubbing with a 13? Or 14? Three fingers is what I do. Four fingers for racebikes that get chains checked and serviced after each race. Weekly. Four fingers requested by the man who runs the show. But Scott, great chain tension advice.

And hey...strips of mountain bike tire with a strip of five gallon bucket plastic underneath has worked for me...ghetto fabulous. I can make five more out of the same bucket and the same tire. 

That way I can afford the good steaks...Joe ;)

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C
  • Like 2

Didn't you have a thread on that bucket slider?  

I can't believe Honda is the only maker of replacements for our bikes, like $45. The stocker on my 1990 xr600r lasted 25k. though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firsthere said:

Didn't you have a thread on that bucket slider?  

I can't believe Honda is the only maker of replacements for our bikes, like $45. The stocker on my 1990 xr600r lasted 25k. though.

A thread?...I dont recall, someone else would remember. I have a problem with recall. But I do remember posting a photo of it before and Joe talkin smack! But I am a...thrifty...individual. I get a Honda parts discount and I still fanagle where/when I can. I mean, I know where an OEM part is absolutely needed. But this part wears...and (most likely) its the stock 20+ year old part. And like you said regarding price...that money could be better used elsewhere...for the time being.

I remember reading something about the bucket hack slider when I needed one for the xr600 back in 2010-ish and almost tried it. Got nervous since it is a drive line and didn't want it to let loose at 80 mph. That bike did almost 100mph with the gearing.

On the 600 (which I think this thread to be about)  I ran the 15t counter and 45 rear and did add a small diameter sealed chain roller at the slider just below the countershaft sprocket as the stocker eventually wore through to the metal.

Yeah the one thats its on doesn't even see 60. I doubt 50. And its all dirt for now. But when I see see it wear, Ill change it. Make another. Or maybe I can afford a stock one by now. Im not saying use it forever. Just till spending OEM part money is possible. But it works. Im not even riding that bike yet. A dirt nasty 18 year old that builds turbo ls6 motors rides it. So it puts up with that!

• Like 1

The guard runs against the chain. That's what I should have said.

On the kick stand, I run my chain a bit looser than what your showing, almost touching the mud guard. (shy a 1/4")

You rubber/plastic swing arm guard shouldn't be an issue, especially with a 15 t . The 13t makes chain rub more. The guards do get some scrubbing, thats why they are there.

for case saver, on the 15t http://www.xrsonly.com/xrs-only-case-saver-honda-xr500r-xr600r-15-tooth-silver OR

you can fab something like it. Here are some images of case savers on the motor https://www.google.com/search?q=XRs+Only+Case+Saver++Honda+15+Tooth&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX_Z60j63UAhUDHT4KHWIeBxUQ_AUIBygC&biw=905&bih=558#imgrc=_

Also forgot to mention Fritzco has some template drawing to make your own.

I see what you're saying. I suppose I should have said I need a gear cover. I'm not worried about the left side of the installed chain and gear hitting the engine.

With a 15-tooth front sprocket, the chain is properly adjusted when you can push the chain down with your finger and just touch the end of the plastic guard (which you are calling rubber) that protects the swingarm.  This when the bike is on the sidestand with no weight on it.  If you can get the chain to touch the swingarm behind the plastic guard, it's too loose.
You need to replace the guard either when it wears through to the swingarm or when it starts to fall off.  I've replaced it once in 20,000 miles on my bike.  I may be due to replace it again in a few thousand more miles.

IMG_2485.JPG

So I have to remove this rubber part that the picture has been edited with a green box?

Chain GUIDE...and chain SLIDER. We're talking two different parts. Hes asking about the chain SLIDER. It wasnt rubbing with a 13? Or 14? Three fingers is what I do. Four fingers for racebikes that get chains checked and serviced after each race. Weekly. Four fingers requested by the man who runs the show. But Scott, great chain tension advice.
And hey...strips of mountain bike tire with a strip of five gallon bucket plastic underneath has worked for me...ghetto fabulous. I can make five more out of the same bucket and the same tire. 
That way I can afford the good steaks...Joe

IMG_2485.JPG

Please see the attached pic. The chain
which is edited in a green box is what I'm concerned about. I have to remove that rubber, piece obviously, correct?

how much tension on the chain riding on the block while your sitting on the bike? I'd rather wear that part than run without it

Edited by highmarker
  • Like 2

how much tension on the chain riding on the block while your sitting on the bike? I'd rather wear that part than run without it

Good question. I'm going to hop on it and have someone measure the chain to swing arm distance. I'm always hearing three fingers. It's a bit loose now. I can't wait to get my bike stand from Amazon so it's easier to work on. Bit of a pain adjusting the chain with the rear tire on the ground.

If in doubt, better a tad loose than too tight.

• Like 1