Lowered suspension, how to set the sag? KTM 200 xcw

I just bought a used 2013 ktm 200 xcw for my wife and am dialing it in for her.  It was lowered front and rear by pro action.  There is a sticker on the fork that said air space 125mm, Oil 01m5, comp 24, rebound 14.  I am trying to figure out how to set the sag on a lowered bike. Usually I run 105-110 on KTM / Husky but if it's lowered do I adjust the sag in relation to height lowered.  Stock is a claimed 300 mm of travel and now it's 250 mm so do I make the sag 91 which is 83% less?

Any advice is much appreciated, I have been scouring the internet for sag setup on lowered bike and no luck... yet.  Thanks people.

I've thought about this as well, however I'm no suspension pro but here is what I think.  Lowering the shock is done by installing some sort of spacer that takes up some space at the top of the stroke (fully extended).  So doing this now changes the height up the shock body at which the top of the spring reaches unloaded.  so if you decreased the shock length by say 5mm, then the spring should sit +5mm higher in the range of the adjuster.  IDK if that makes sense to anyone but I'm pretty sure sag is to be set exactly the same.  Only difference is the initial height of the spring/adjuster

I don't know the "correct" answer, but mine is lowered nearly 2"and I went for the same 105 mm. It works great for me. Us shorter riders are generally lighter, too, so the missing travel isn't really noticed. I ride techy woods, hop logs and jump train tracks. I've never bottomed out yet. I'm 135 lbs with stock spring but revalved to my weight and riding style.

I also lowered mine 50mm front and rear and it gave me the sag numbers to follow in the instructions that came with it. I don't think it will be the same for your bike, but I would ask the company that lowered it what the sag should be for what your bike.

Thanks, I just the info from the seller on who did the suspension work, it's pro action lowering and valving and now I know which one so I will reach out to them as well.  I just know from my past KTM with PDS that sag number makes all the difference.  

Right now on the 350 she is using just less than half the suspension travel, so about 5.5 inches.  About what I use on my mtn bike.  The "new" 200  (lowered) has about 250 mm or about 10 inches.  So if she can use most of that she will almost be doubling the effective suspension, that should help out a bit!

2017-06-08 16.43.23.jpg

• Like 1

You might also want to either cut down her existing seat or get a low seat. You can take another 1/2"-1" off so it's a bit lower then it is now.

Seat has no foam at all, that is a new seat to replace the one that came with it.  It was pretty much the plastic pan with the cover stapled on it! The bike is actually too low now, going to have to undo some of this.   

I'm somewhat new to dirtbikes again (took a few, 15 years off). But, I would reduce your sag numbers by the same amount you reduced your suspension by and valve/spring the set up to use all of the available travel. Light or not you should use all or most all of your travel on each ride, otherwise what's the point in having it?

We race DH mountain bikes and my 11 year old and my wife are both lighter and it takes a bit of extra work for me to set their bikes up properly to ensure they have the initial support then need so the bike doesn't feel like a wet sponge, but also so it isn't too firm that they aren't using their travel to it's full extent.

I would feel the same on a dirtbike, if sag is 20% at X travel, it should also be 20% of Y Travel. 

I am with you. I am a mtn biker that also rides moto but mtn bikes are my main thing. It always cracks me up to see folks with huck bikes and full face helmets get 2 or 3 inches out of their 8 inch 10k bicycles. I run a Pike 150 and use it all. My feeling is you should  bottom out every ride or 3 and use it all or your or you on the wrong bike and or the wrong setup. 

Seat has no foam at all, that is a new seat to replace the one that came with it.  It was pretty much the plastic pan with the cover stapled on it! The bike is actually too low now, going to have to undo some of this.   

Haha that's how my seat is now. Just a thin layer of foam under the cover. Not too comfortable, but it will teach you good woods riding technique, i.e. sit as little as possible.

Btw that is a SWEET looking bike!

18 hours ago, ktmtruckee said:

I am with you. I am a mtn biker that also rides moto but mtn bikes are my main thing. It always cracks me up to see folks with huck bikes and full face helmets get 2 or 3 inches out of their 8 inch 10k bicycles. I run a Pike 150 and use it all. My feeling is you should  bottom out every ride or 3 and use it all or your or you on the wrong bike and or the wrong setup. 

I'm with ya. On my V-10 I usually try to set it to use about 99% of my travel during practice runs, I usually feel it bottom only during a race run if at all. Same on my trail bike, (Also running a pike, but set to 130 on my 5010). I usually feel it bottom every few rides depending on where I am at. 

Setting a Fox 40 Float to work for a 70 lb 11 year old is a real exercise in experimentation. After 3 race weekends we're getting it dialed in pretty close now. 

Anyway, I would follow a similar process in trying to get your wife's bike set for her. I can't really see why it would be any different. 

5 hours ago, kickstand_ktm said:

I'm with ya. On my V-10 I usually try to set it to use about 99% of my travel during practice runs, I usually feel it bottom only during a race run if at all. Same on my trail bike, (Also running a pike, but set to 130 on my 5010). I usually feel it bottom every few rides depending on where I am at. 

Setting a Fox 40 Float to work for a 70 lb 11 year old is a real exercise in experimentation. After 3 race weekends we're getting it dialed in pretty close now. 

Anyway, I would follow a similar process in trying to get your wife's bike set for her. I can't really see why it would be any different. 

Fox 40 for an 11 year old.  Lucky kid for sure.  5010 is a great bike, it's one I often recommend to friends.  The 150 is perfect for this area which is a little more rough than most.  I run very little air in it 35 lbs but I am less than 150.  Playing around with the tokens helps.  V10 is a fun one too, you must be a SC Cruz  fan.  They seem to be stepping it up again.  I really like the new High-tower.  I think Rob made out well on the sale of that company.  I have had a handful of SC bikes, then switched to Ibis for a while and now Yeti.  It's cool to see so many great bikes now available.  

So back to finishing up the Rekluse install for my wife. 

Thanks for the thoughts.  

16 hours ago, ktmtruckee said:

Fox 40 for an 11 year old.  Lucky kid for sure.  5010 is a great bike, it's one I often recommend to friends.  The 150 is perfect for this area which is a little more rough than most.  I run very little air in it 35 lbs but I am less than 150.  Playing around with the tokens helps.  V10 is a fun one too, you must be a SC Cruz  fan.  They seem to be stepping it up again.  I really like the new High-tower.  I think Rob made out well on the sale of that company.  I have had a handful of SC bikes, then switched to Ibis for a while and now Yeti.  It's cool to see so many great bikes now available.  

So back to finishing up the Rekluse install for my wife. 

Thanks for the thoughts.  

Yeah the volume tokens sure do help tune these things in. We do like our Santa Cruz's, team we ride with gets a nice deal on them. 

Heres a shot of junior doing his thing. 

IMG_0654.JPG