Help! Wife wants to completely redo bike for Father's Day

I am asking for help with my husband's bike. He will be in Mexico for work and I would love to completely redo his bike as a surprise when he comes home. I am hopeless on dirt bike knowledge though and really don't know where to start. The bike in question is a 1986 RM125 2-stroke that is in great driving condition. No problems except he wants to add a silencer since the neighbors get pissed when he starts it up. Basically, I just want to make it pretty and run like a mother &%$#@!er. We are talking new body, new shiny chrome parts, tires and rims. I'm open to any suggestions and feel free to dumb down the lingo; I have no clue what the hell most parts on this are called. I don't even know where to start and any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1496883220043955723379.jpg

1496883282712956509199.jpg

149688332456265100748.jpg

Wife of the year. Go to Rockymountain.com or even Amazon and look for plastic kits (all the yellow body parta of the bike) that will clean it up. For wheels, simple green and a brush or tooth brush, the, finish ot off with some polish.

31 minutes ago, Wcm250 said:

Wife of the year. Go to Rockymountain.com or even Amazon and look for plastic kits (all the yellow body parta of the bike) that will clean it up. For wheels, simple green and a brush or tooth brush, the, finish ot off with some polish.

I've been looking on a few sites and was thinking about changing the sprockets and the chain and wheels. Is there anything I should know about those or look out for? Oh, and the levers, handlebars and grippy things, the seat, the foot handles (Yeah, I know they aren't called that, lol), and the two big silver things in the front that hook to the tire (maybe just clean those up if it's too extensive). Is there a certain brand that's better than others? I will definitely be checking on that rockymountain.com though. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Edited by Lee Myers

If I were you, I would stay far away from your husband's bike. Some folks are pretty picky about their 'stuff' and actually resent others messing with it.  My wife would be on my *hit list if she ever touched my 'toys'. :-)

• Like 2

I'm totally on board with you and getting this bike back into race condition.  BUT, it's going to need a lot of work..., so unless you know of a skilled mechanic that is going to be able to do the work I suggest that you keep your "gift" to a graphic set and a generous budget (what ever you decide).

You can get graphics for that year RM here:  https://fullfloater.com/

Holy hell. That's one lucky guy. Not a single person in my family gives two shits about riding or motorcycles. Props to you

• Like 1

FYI that bike is a 1985 RM125 not an 86 and those 2 bikes are completely different so make sure you are getting the correct parts.
Parts that old will be very expensive wouldn't want to buy the wrong ones.

On 08/06/2017 at 10:55 AM, Lee Myers said:

I am asking for help with my husband's bike. He will be in Mexico for work and I would love to completely redo his bike as a surprise when he comes home. I am hopeless on dirt bike knowledge though and really don't know where to start. The bike in question is a 1986 RM125 2-stroke that is in great driving condition. No problems except he wants to add a silencer since the neighbors get pissed when he starts it up. Basically, I just want to make it pretty and run like a mother &%$#@!er. We are talking new body, new shiny chrome parts, tires and rims. I'm open to any suggestions and feel free to dumb down the lingo; I have no clue what the hell most parts on this are called. I don't even know where to start and any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1496883220043955723379.jpg

1496883282712956509199.jpg

149688332456265100748.jpg

IMO i would gift a plastics kit , graphics kit , seat cover , chains and sprockets and free time in the garage and lots of beer so he can work on it on Father's Day 

Nice idea but, throw a blanket over that old beast and let it rest.

Then wheel in a new RM250F and really surprise him.

5CE691A7E5764BDAB124D92A2E4A258F.png.f1ef77d4e10bb0bbdac2475c7c1f185c.png

18 minutes ago, kxrob said:

IMO i would gift a plastics kit , graphics kit , seat cover , chains and sprockets and free time in the garage and lots of beer so he can work on it on Father's Day 

Or Mother's Day :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah, he would love that but he just bought a new jacked up truck so the next payment we are getting is the new Bronco next year, lol. 

2 hours ago, MXOldtimer said:

Nice idea but, throw a blanket over that old beast and let it rest.

Then wheel in a new RM250F and really surprise him.

5CE691A7E5764BDAB124D92A2E4A258F.png.f1ef77d4e10bb0bbdac2475c7c1f185c.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kxrob said:

That's the way I was thinking of going. Except the garage time, it will be done when he gets back so he just has to slap on a helmet and go. Thanks!

I have to agree with GrandkidsMX - I would love it if my wife wanted to help me farkle out my bike - but half the fun is doing it yourself. Don't think I would appreciate coming back and finding it in a different state than how I left it...

Another concern is that if you don't know what thingies are called on the bike, are you going to know how to torque everything back down properly, tension and lube his chain how he does, etc? You never said if you were planning on getting your hands greasy in the process, or hiring a mechanic?

I can appreciate your zeal in this though :) You obviously know your husband (not us!), and what he will appreciate. Just don't say we didn't warn you, lol.

4 hours ago, Lee Myers said:

Yeah, he would love that but he just bought a new jacked up truck so the next payment we are getting is the new Bronco next year, lol. 

One important thing to keep in mind is that rebuilding an old bike is just as expensive as rebuilding a new bike.  For example, the simple stuff like tires, chains, cables and graphics (if you can find them) will cost the same no matter what year the bike is.  So it's VERY easy to get upside down in a rebuild project ~ been there done that... 

But this would be a real fun project to do, plan on spending 600 to 800 getting back into it's glory days.  So your "gift" in my opinion would be something that he needs to get started (like tires, a rear fender or graphics and a budget (like a prepaid VISA) ~ something like that.  Even if he's a skilled mechanic it's still going to take 2 or 3 months to complete it.

Just do the plastic, I know you want more than that but it makes enough difference and will look great. 

Iam saying so because it's a lot of money what you want to do and then it's better to buy a little newer bike like a 1995

Gopd luck