I was going down the path on my 2004 crf80 and all of a sudden the bike acted like it was out of gas so i put it on reserve and that didnt help so i came home and put gas in it and still did the same thing. So i cleaned carb, cleaned the spark plug, cleaned the air filter, adusted the valves and cam chain and none of it helped. When its sitting there idling it runs fine but when i put it in gear and ride it and give it throttle it has no power. It acts like its out of gas when its not and i know for a fact that its getting gas cause i made sure. Maybe someone up here has had the same problem and can help me figure this out. 

You may be loosing secondary ignition spark.  I've seen ignition coils, spark plug wires, and plugs that will let spark through with no load on the engine, but twist the throttle, and the resistance goes up, and spark may go away.

Not sure, but you may have a spark plug wire end cap that screws onto the spark plug wire.  It would be suspect too if there is a spark problem.

The magneto is a primary electrical signal, and generally isn't affected by heavy engine loads, but is on the list of suspects.

Your ignition module would be suspect too, but near the bottom of the list.

Everything is on the list when your diagnosing.  Some near the top, and some near the bottom.

Cleaning the spark plug is fine, but if it is fouled, it can spark at low engine loads, but loose spark when you twist the throttle.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

Ill get a new spark plug and start there. Thanks for you help

The first thing I would do is pull the pilot out and blow compressed air though it.  Then hold it up to the light and make sure I can see through it.  90% of the time it gets plugged.  Then, maybe if that doesn't work check plug, cap, plug wire, or ground.  But, I can't over emphasize enough about the pilot.

2 hours ago, socalxr said:

The first thing I would do is pull the pilot out and blow compressed air though it.  Then hold it up to the light and make sure I can see through it.  90% of the time it gets plugged.  Then, maybe if that doesn't work check plug, cap, plug wire, or ground.  But, I can't over emphasize enough about the pilot.

Problem is it's idling ok............with a plugged pilot it wouldn't want (have fuel) to idle.:excuseme:

I'd give it some choke and see if there was any effect on how it took throttle........

Old School Al

• Like 1

I dont think its the carb i tried the choke the other night and that didnt help. Im going to put a new spark plug in it tonight and see if that helps

42 minutes ago, Old School Al said:

Problem is it's idling ok............with a plugged pilot it wouldn't want (have fuel) to idle.:excuseme:

I'd give it some choke and see if there was any effect on how it took throttle........

Old School Al

Very true, but I have had it happen many times where idles, then have a big bog as you roll it on.  Once, it was the filter. But pretty much every other time it was the pilot.  I never really gave it much thought because it always worked (90% or the time).  So idk, maybe the side holes are one the sides give enough fuel to idle.  But at the same time a lot of the time it just doesn't start.  But good catch Al.

1 hour ago, socalxr said:

Very true, but I have had it happen many times where idles, then have a big bog as you roll it on.  Once, it was the filter. But pretty much every other time it was the pilot.  I never really gave it much thought because it always worked (90% or the time).  So idk, maybe the side holes are one the sides give enough fuel to idle.  But at the same time a lot of the time it just doesn't start.  But good catch Al.

Which side holes are you referring to.......? Sounds like it may not be a carb problem.

Old School Al

May not be a carb problem, which is why I list a bunch of other things.  But could be a partially plugged pilot.  It only take a few minutes to rule it out.  It's always my go to first item.   

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:24 PM, Wescrf said:

I dont think its the carb i tried the choke the other night and that didnt help. Im going to put a new spark plug in it tonight and see if that helps

What did you come up with.....................???

Old School Al

It ended up being the choke. Some how it feel off the choke handle inside the carb and was staying in choke mode. Thank all of yall for the help

• Like 1