01cr 250 rebuild or 03 cr250

Hey guys now I've got a problem. I actually have an 01 cr250 on which I would do a complete rebuild but yesterday I saw an 03 cr250 for sale for 2700 US dollars but now I cant decide if I rebuild my 01 or I buy the 03 as the 03 looks like a brand new bike. What should I do?

01 motor is arguably better. 03 handling is superior. $2700 is a lot for a 14 year old bike though...

Here's a pic of the bike but going through a complete rebuild will cost at least 3500 so that's why I cant decide
ad_1496921150064.jpg

Buy the 03 and rebuild the 01 another time

Unfortunately I cant do that my parents dont want the 01 to stay in the garage if I buy the 03

3500 for a rebuild ? is that 1500 in parts and the rest labor ?

No that's all parts it's more likely to be a restoration than a rebuild I'm changing all the bearings on the bike plus many other stuff including brand new oem crank piston also gonna get the cylinder recoated plus many many other parts

Here's my just rebuilt 01 cr250r. If you rebuild you can build & then have exactly what "you" want your bike to be & look like.

Pro's & con's of the "stock" 00-01 vs 03 is very simple. The 01 (a 2nd gen CR) has a much better engine all around but the 02-07 has a better riding/handling frame but they also have the RC valve witch requires regular maintenance & adjusting with no gain. All off witch you can have the best/what fits your riding style, preferences, locations, requirements ex ex ex. I would always build my own if that option is available to start with. Think about it like this. If you buy the 03, whats the 1st thing your going to do? You start customizing it/setting it up to your riding style & type, comfort settings, preferred look, settings & performance outputs right?....

FB_IMG_1496015125686.jpgFB_IMG_1496015485835.jpg1496340722854.jpg20170514_015734.jpgFB_IMG_1496015547985.jpg20170407_213611.jpg20170407_213007.jpg20170312_121711.jpg20170312_121618.jpgtmpPhoto.jpg
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Doug Coleman said:

Here's my just rebuilt 01 cr250r. If you rebuild you can build & then have exactly what "you" want your bike to be & look like.

Pro's & con's of the "stock" 00-01 vs 03 is very simple. The 01 (a 2nd gen CR) has a much better engine all around but the 02-07 has a better riding/handling frame but they also have the RC valve witch requires regular maintenance & adjusting with no gain. All off witch you can have the best/what fits your riding style, preferences, locations, requirements ex ex ex. I would always build my own if that option is available to start with. Think about it like this. If you buy the 03, whats the 1st thing your going to do? You start customizing it/setting it up to your riding style & type, comfort settings, preferred look, settings & performance outputs right?....

FB_IMG_1496015125686.jpgFB_IMG_1496015485835.jpg1496340722854.jpg20170514_015734.jpgFB_IMG_1496015547985.jpg20170407_213611.jpg20170407_213007.jpg20170312_121711.jpg20170312_121618.jpgtmpPhoto.jpg

You definitely got a point there from what I've heard the 02-07 engines have low bottom end power and that's a problem as I'm mostly doing enduro plus if the power band is too smooth it will be absolutely boring to drive I'm wondering what's the real difference between the frames IMO there's not much but I've never driven a 02+

Put the money in the 01 :thumbsup: that's what is do. 01 is a very good platform can be serious race weapon.  But for normal riders either is ok . Do what makes most sense to you :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just now, Doug Coleman said:

It'll be a lot cheaper to just rebuild as well....

How much did it cost for yours? BTW that's a nice ride you have there;) 

Thanks. I went from (see pic) to (see pic) for about $1600 but I literally went all out & pretty much built a Factory Honda Works/Boyeson Racing Bike. Everything that could be upgraded is upgraded with all high performance, billet aluminum, anodized or powder coated parts with a big bore, vortex x10 ignition maping system, oversized radiators, oversized brakes with contorted & grooved rotors, Boyeson Racing super cooler water pump system, Boyeson Racing complete clutch & cover, Boyeson Racing power value cover that increased the power valve chambers compacity & stator cover, PhatHead cool & high compression head & much much more.... You can do just a engine rebuild for about $300 if you do it yourself if no machine work is needed & about $450-$500 with boring out/sleeving/re-surfacing the jug/cylinder which I recommend re-surfacing it anyway even if it looks good. So for about $800 or so you can do a damn nice rebuild with some performance mods & custom graphics with new plastics on a 2-stroke.

Sent from my SM-G360P using ThumperTalk mobile app

20161014_130148.jpg

I've owned both models with the 01 being purchased new in the spring of that year.   IMHO the 01 is overrated & the 02-07 will be a superior bike once it's been dialed in.   I thought I had the 01 dialed till I rode a local Pro's 03 in that yr. that was dialed as well & it gave me a different perspective vs. what the mags were saying about the case reed engine.  I sold the 01 a week later & purchased a low hr. 03 in Dec. & have no regrets.  The 3rd gen AF chassis with out a doubt is much improved over the 2nd gen AF & would never consider going back to a 1st or 2nd. gen AF 97-01 model (also owned 97 model).  My suggestion would be to test ride the 03 model if possible & judge the newer 3rd gen AF models yourself. 

A fellow rider that had an 01 model rode the 03 I have set up.  He's been trying to buy that bike from me for about 11 yrs. now...  

Edited by H4L

58 minutes ago, jackstrap said:

How much did it cost for yours? BTW that's a nice ride you have there;) 

Sorry dont like it - overkill on the bling - do you ride it or just drive around with it in the back of your truck / ute  ? :p

• Like 1

Alright so I'm back from where I buy my aftermarket parts and here's the invoice (prices are in canadian dollar) and I also have another invoice from Honda of a 1678.99$ and there's still a few things missing like the rad valve and the boyesen covers of the engine. : 

18922091_743070799199341_1128258479657272393_n.jpg

You have to shop all over. Basically the hardest & most time communing part is going to be the part shopping. For the $800 give or take price range build, you wont be able to get but a few of the most commonly bought by most riders aftermarket bolt on components/parts. For the best deals on most of my parts, I had to check ebay, amazon, motorcycle superstore.com, dirtrider.com & many more for about a month & then I ordered all of it at one time. EBay would be the site I ordered most of my parts from & I got A Lot of absolutely great deals on there. Therefore in my opinion, it's the best place yo get most of your parts. There's new stuff & prices drop on parts all the time. I assume your in Canada?

4 minutes ago, Doug Coleman said:

You have to shop all over. Basically the hardest & most time communing part is going to be the part shopping. For the $800 give or take price range build, you wont be able to get but a few of the most commonly bought by most riders aftermarket bolt on components/parts. For the best deals on most of my parts, I had to check ebay, amazon, motorcycle superstore.com, dirtrider.com & many more for about a month & then I ordered all of it at one time. EBay would be the site I ordered most of my parts from & I got A Lot of absolutely great deals on there. Therefore in my opinion, it's the best place yo get most of your parts. There's new stuff & prices drop on parts all the time. I assume your in Canada?

Yes I'm in Canada don't know if you're in the states but if yes, that's easier for you to shop on Ebay because on Ebay.ca shipping rates are higher of course and sometimes the sellers won't ship to my destination and we won't talk about amazon.ca there... 

The 01 motor is not superior in any way to the 03.  The 03 handles better.  You already have an 01 so it would be cheaper and easier to fix what you already have than inherit someone elses problems and fix them.

• Like 1