Andrew Puetz

Beta 300RR Dirt Bike Channel Thread

661 posts in this topic

One of my, and probably all of our favorite You Tube Channel, Dirt Bike Channel, is reviewing the Beta 300RR.  Place your comments below!

Here is the first ride vid:

I like his stuff for the scenery and the trails, but his "reviews" I could take or leave. 

9 people like this

He hit the nail on the head. That being said, he needs way more seat time, a Beta does not ride like a KTM. Also he needs to adjust the powervalve if he wants more of a hit. Time will tell but I feel he has a bit of a bias but then so do I, so ....

1 person likes this

Fan of the channel, been following since the beginning. Not as much of a fan of Kyle as a person, not sure we'd get along that great if we had a beer together but his videos and the Utah trails and scenery are amazing. The guy pretty much bleeds Orange but somehow I was expecting a different first impression. I watched the review, and while its honest and he's adamantly trying not to come right out and say he doesn't like it right off the bat, you can tell he's writing it off as a bike not for him, but for other types of riders. "Who is this bike for?" It's for you man, it's for everybody. He says the power is too soft for him but yet he's still on the factory jetting and PV setting most likely. And the stock Michelin tires don't do well in certain types of terrain, I found them horrible myself for my terrain and swapped them out after a couple months. His KTM's don't have stock settings, and they all needed adjustments to work well for him. He needs to spend time setting the bike up, play with the jetting, PV, and suspension settings before he dismisses it as "too soft" or a "bike for other people". I know it's the first review and he needs more seat time and hours but I guess I was expecting a little more enthusiasm from the beginning. Hopefully he takes everyone's advice and spends some time tuning the factory settings and really starts seeing the full potential of the machine for what it is. 

3 people like this

45 minutes ago, BoogieMan84 said:

you can tell he's writing it off as a bike not for him, but for other types of riders. "Who is this bike for?" It's for you man, it's for everybody. He says the power is too soft for him but yet he's still on the factory jetting and PV setting most likely. And the stock Michelin tires don't do well in certain types of terrain, I found them horrible myself for my terrain and swapped them out after a couple months. His KTM's don't have stock settings, and they all needed adjustments to work well for him. He needs to spend time setting the bike up, play with the jetting, PV, and suspension settings before he dismisses it as "too soft" or a "bike for other people". I know it's the first review and he needs more seat time and hours but I guess I was expecting a little more enthusiasm from the beginning. Hopefully he takes everyone's advice and spends some time tuning the factory settings and really starts seeing the full potential of the machine for what it is. 

My thoughts exactly.  You can tell he doesnt love it.  And I specd mine right off the bat with different tires.  Those stock tires looked horrible.

Maybe he will warm up to it....  But he is very KTM oriented.  

But I like him and love his passion for the sport.  Not to mention the scenery is awesome where he lives.

1 person likes this

I think he must be riding a different bike to my 17 300rr. I've ridden a 17 300 ktm xcw and that had much softer torque down low, the beta is sharp in comparison. My partner refuses to ride my bike as he finds it too sharp, and he's got a 450. Goes to show you can't take someones opinion as a matter of fact. He didn't open the bike up at all on that trail, he needs to take it somewhere he can get into the mid range. It will be interesting to see what he thinks of the 'dad' bike in some more videos. 

2 people like this

It's funny I felt the same way Kyle feels on my first ride with the 2017 300rr.  I bought the bike and took it out bone stock with the exception of bark busters the next day.  I was like "oh man I just bought the wrong bike, my wife is gonna kill me."  I did 30 miles of technical single track, lost count of how many times I wrecked.  Broke the headlight, front fender, and light/horn switch.  The thing weighed a ton, I know cause I had to pick it up off the ground so many times.  It felt uncomfortable when standing up. I couldn't climb anything with it, granted the place we ride has some of the hardest climbs you'll find(its called Coal Creek in TN, there is some videos in other forums of it.)  It did impress me that the thing kept running the whole time.  I put it threw the ringer, flipped it updside down and it started right up.  I hit a tree almost head on and it didn't bend anything. I guess the durability impressed me, but that's it.  I got home didn't tell the wife about how I hated it and went to work on making it better. Got different tires IRC M5B Evo rear and AT Dunlop front, dirt tricks 51 tooth rear sprocket, and adjusted the power valve flush.  Ripped off the headlight and taillight, put the number plate on. Put 20mm handlebar risers on. Got the SICASS switches. Put a Polisport front fender on. Swapped the brick of a OEM battery for the featherlight WPS lithium. Now the thing rips, it is a Coal Creek Killer. Kyle does mods to all his KTM's, he has the video's to prove it. He didn't even put bark busters on that Beta.  After all my mods the Beta still cost less then a new KTM.

2 people like this

Ill stick with Dirt Bike Test for Bike reviews.

6 people like this

1 hour ago, Mckay said:

Ill stick with Dirt Bike Test for Bike reviews.

Best review site...  Jimmy does great work.

1 person likes this

Biggest flaw of this review is that he rode it in trails he's not familiar with. Hard to compare bikes when they're not ridden in the same terrain.
I rode a 17 xcw and the 300rr feels sharper down low.

7 people like this

1 hour ago, Andrew Puetz said:

Best review site...  Jimmy does great work.

Jimmy does ... there was a pretty lame 3rd party write up on the Beta 300RE reccently.

2 minutes ago, afm774 said:

Biggest flaw of this review is that he rode it in trails he's not familiar with. Hard to compare bikes when they're not ridden in the same terrain.
I rode a 17 xcw and the 300rr feels sharper down low.

A trail he didn't know, without so much set up as handguards ... so what was he comparing?

Haha you could tell the reviewer wasn't really impressed.  I find the lower softer grunt 300rr deceptive for a 2T.  I maybe just a hair off idle blipping through the trees, but the trees are passing by me at an impressive rate of speed.  I realized this as I was riding with buddies on their 250 2Ts... my sound/excitement level misleading.  I was going quick but sounding slow.  Getting the job done with a lot less fuss.

Now I am a lugger in the woods so this style fits me like a glove, but it still surprised me.  My RM250 was much more excited in the woods though I could lug it down two... the 300rr does that but with pulling power down low to back it up.

I hope he realizes it goes faster when one twists their right wrist. :)

2 people like this

Honestly who cares if he likes it or not. I think we all like our bikes in here or we would have moved on to something else. I think it's great he's riding a bunch of different bikes and comparing them. What he does/thinks at the end of the day has little bearing on my decisions. 

6 people like this

I subscribe to dirt bike channel and I give Kyle a lot of credit for his videos.  They are generally good and the production quality and scenery is good.  To me as a technical guy it seems like he rushes out his reviews, the technical content just isn't there.  Like when he got the Sherco 300SER and talked about getting it built...but didn't show any of the actual setup, then said more was coming...then like two videos later he sold it for a 300 2T, which also got very little attention so far.  I think he rushes reviews and content out.   I always expect a follow-up with more detail or opinions and that doesn't always happen.  He's got a day job though and video editing is time consuming.  I really like Frickin Jim reviews, he is one of the best out there but he's all caught up in Honda CRF230's and products for the XR/CRF line.  

In the video he said he wouldn't want it for a desert bike, how can you even say that in 10 minutes of average utah single track?   There are a lot of references in the video that sound like he has been reading forum opinions for a while then is combining that with his initial impression.  I wouldn't buy too much into his videos, his video on the way to pick it up he spent a lot of time worrying about making negative comments and if Beta wouldn't like that... like he was ready to hate on it.  No worries though, I can't wait for more videos :)

1 person likes this

Well I do really like the channel.  Always look forward to his take, whether i agree or not with it.  I do think this first quick vid that he is undervaluing the 300, but to each his own!  I hope he shifts gears a bit and does some familiar terrain and gets a good solid review of it.  Im sure because he is having it loaned to him, that he won't do many, if any modifications to it.  That is an unfortunate scenario.

The Biggest thing I got from his channel a few years ago was the 2 stroke difference.  I would still be riding a WR450 or went to a 450FXright now and hated riding it compared to my current bikes.  Too heavy and too much power for the riding I do.  That being said, he opened my eyes to smokers and i am very grateful. 

I don't want to be part of the orange sea of bikes, and i like the Beta because it is different.  All of us agree in this forum.  But I can't wait to watch more of these vids.

1 person likes this

Though I'm a subscriber, I have never actually watched a complete video from start to finish... I don't understand how you can have a good feeling for a bike if you don't even take the time to set it up? He never mentions jetting, or sag, or fork height, or handlebar/lever position or even tire selection etc etc. And he makes the assumption he's a good intermediate rider.  

Combine that with him always comparing every bike to a KTM and the idea he doesn't/hasn't raced makes it near impossible for me to take him serious. I would like to see what a bike feels like during a 3hr race vs just casually cruising around with your buddies.

If you take it as informative, you are going to be missing a lot of good information... 

12 people like this

Though I'm a subscriber, I have never actually watched a complete video from start to finish... I don't understand how you can have a good feeling for a bike if you don't even take the time to set it up? He never mentions jetting, or sag, or fork height, or handlebar/lever position or even tire selection etc etc. And he makes the assumption he's a good intermediate rider.  
Combine that with him always comparing every bike to a KTM and the idea he doesn't/hasn't raced makes it near impossible for me to take him serious. I would like to see what a bike feels like during a 3hr race vs just casually cruising around with your buddies.
If you take it as informative, you are going to be missing a lot of good information... 

100% agree with this statement.

It's funny I felt the same way Kyle feels on my first ride with the 2017 300rr.  I bought the bike and took it out bone stock with the exception of bark busters the next day.  I was like "oh man I just bought the wrong bike, my wife is gonna kill me."  I did 30 miles of technical single track, lost count of how many times I wrecked.  Broke the headlight, front fender, and light/horn switch.  The thing weighed a ton, I know cause I had to pick it up off the ground so many times.  It felt uncomfortable when standing up. I couldn't climb anything with it, granted the place we ride has some of the hardest climbs you'll find(its called Coal Creek in TN, there is some videos in other forums of it.)  It did impress me that the thing kept running the whole time.  I put it threw the ringer, flipped it updside down and it started right up.  I hit a tree almost head on and it didn't bend anything. I guess the durability impressed me, but that's it.  I got home didn't tell the wife about how I hated it and went to work on making it better. Got different tires IRC M5B Evo rear and AT Dunlop front, dirt tricks 51 tooth rear sprocket, and adjusted the power valve flush.  Ripped off the headlight and taillight, put the number plate on. Put 20mm handlebar risers on. Got the SICASS switches. Put a Polisport front fender on. Swapped the brick of a OEM battery for the featherlight WPS lithium. Now the thing rips, it is a Coal Creek Killer. Kyle does mods to all his KTM's, he has the video's to prove it. He didn't even put bark busters on that Beta.  After all my mods the Beta still cost less then a new KTM.

Hill climbs in good ole Rocky top ( coal creek ) are the best anywhere I've ever ridden, and I looooooove them!
1 person likes this

Plus, Kyle doesn't ride XCW's he rides KTM XC's. Get a Race Edition if you want to compare apples to apples.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hmm, I had a feeling the RR was around the 115kg mark. I do think it is unfair to compare the weight to an xc, an xcw with lights would be a better comparison. However the KTM would still most probably be much lighter. The sherco is surprisingly heavy, if they release a sherco 125 I hope they use a different frame! 

Edited by Black-swan