Beta 300RR Dirt Bike Channel Thread

1 hour ago, Pittbull said:

I just might pull the plug on a new '17 Husky 350FX, was thinking about trying the Beta 350 but heard we have no real great support here for them and that they are seriously over weight, something like 30lbs heavier than the Husky. I like the idea of the Beta having a much lower seat height but damn that's a heavy bike.
Maybe I'll wait for Kyle to compare the 2 bikes directly.

I got a good 9 miles of singletrack on the '17 FX450 last Fall. It's a great bike and feels nice and light. Have not had a chance to ride the FX350 but can only imagine it feels even lighter than the 450. 

My '17 390rrs feels extremely light and nimble as well and seems to just plain work in the singletrack, probably due to the long stroke smooth motor. It's odd because I know the Beta weighs more, but it sure feels light and never wears me out. I'd like to try the Beta 350 as well. 

I bet the FX350 would be a nice woods weapon. I think the 350 might be a challenge where you ride that nasty stuff at McNutt, but with a Rekluse it'd be pretty awesome.  

• Like 1

A well balanced bike like the Beta may very well be able to hide the extra weight while you are riding it...but when you have to pick it up on a side hill, out of a mud hole or get it unstuck, that extra weight is all there. I've had times where my current TE300 Berg felt like it was 500lbs, certainly don't want to have to deal with an even heavier machine. 

^ agree with this.  Most of my bikes i don't notice the weight differences too much when riding unless it is like a 125 or something.  But if you have to be picking it up from drops turning it around on a rutted hill, dragging it out of the mud that is when you are like . "Crap!  this thing is a pig!"  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pittbull said:

A well balanced bike like the Beta may very well be able to hide the extra weight while you are riding it...but when you have to pick it up on a side hill, out of a mud hole or get it unstuck, that extra weight is all there. I've had times where my current TE300 Berg felt like it was 500lbs, certainly don't want to have to deal with an even heavier machine. 

They do ride light and ridden back to back with a KTM they don't feel any heavier, but picking up off the ground they feel like a tank.  It's my biggest bitch with Beta.  They use the same engine for all 4 model of 4t so the 350 is nearly the same weight as the 480.  I wish they would develop a smaller lighter 250f/350f engine and make some serious effort to lighten up the smaller bore 4t's. 

• Like 1

The '18's really aren't that heavy...I think Dirtbike mag was claiming 247lb wet w/o fuel on the new 500rr-s. After riding my '18 350, I feel that's about right...really not much heavier than most of the 450 mx'ers and after lifting it on the stand, feels like maybe 10-15lbs heavier than my 300. You can drop a few lb's right off the bat by ditching all the evap BS and the giant rear fender thing. If you want to spend some money, li-ion battery and I believe a FMF slip-on should cut some weight as well.

Riding it, it feel's very light on the trail...just as my 300 does. It's got plenty of power for technical riding and hills...for someone who wants a more mellow ride, the 390 or 500 would probably be a better choice. The 350 feels like a 250f on steroids and it has the most fun powerband of any off-road 4 stroke I've ridden. 

I've yet to ride a new Ktm/Husky 4 stroke, but have ridden mulitple '17-'18 250-300 xc/xc-ws. They aren't the "game changer" that a lot of people think. The finally figured out suspension and chassis geometry...the counter balancer is cool also. The weight savings isn't as noticeable as all the reviewers claim and the power is weak off the bottom.

Edited by Sierra_rider
  • Like 2

The new FX350 is only 221lbs dry, the TX300 is 217lbs. So 247lbs is a huge weight gain at 26lbs...that girl is fat. I'm sure that the same tricks could be done to the FX350 to drop it down a few pounds if one wanted to. In all reality once I throw all the guards and protective equipment onto the bike along with extra heavy tubes, dual heavy rim locks and so on this bike will be up to 250lbs full of fuel and oil. Do that to the Beta and you're getting dangerously close to 300lbs. 

• Like 1

The new FX350 is only 221lbs dry, the TX300 is 217lbs. So 247lbs is a huge weight gain at 26lbs...that girl is fat. I'm sure that the same tricks could be done to the FX350 to drop it down a few pounds if one wanted to. In all reality once I throw all the guards and protective equipment onto the bike along with extra heavy tubes, dual heavy rim locks and so on this bike will be up to 250lbs full of fuel and oil. Do that to the Beta and you're getting dangerously close to 300lbs. 

I have an '18 Beta. All the protective equipment except rad guards and I weighed it. 281lbs ready to ride with a 3 gallon tank full of gas. I also have tubliss...
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, gaortiz said:

I have an '18 Beta. All the protective equipment except rad guards and I weighed it. 281lbs ready to ride with a 3 gallon tank full of gas. I also have tubliss...

That is about the same as my 97 XR4 DS ready, ridiculous. Riding is not the issue, lifting it is.

That is about the same as my 97 XR4 DS ready, ridiculous. Riding is not the issue, lifting it is.

The weight sits low. No issues picking it up...even the KTM and Husky 500s will weigh about that. 246lbs that Beta claims is wet without fuel. I figure this to be off by about 8lbs or so.

10 minutes ago, gaortiz said:

He should have corrected himself then. Nobody puts "ready to ride" weight on a brochure.

I think yamaha lists weight full of fuel.  I was recently considering the yz250fx and they list the weight with fuel for that model anyway.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

ready to ride. It's not wet weight if there's no gas in the bike, Jesus.

I'm positive that I've seen weights listed as:

• weight wet, no fuel

around eleventy gazillion times.  No maybe in the last 5 years or so that trend changed but I'm 100% certain that's how the industry used to list it.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Beta bikes, just wish they weren't so unsupported here.
I'm done with buying bike brands that vanish or have no local support.
I used to have a Buell XB12, now they're gone.
I have a Husaberg TE300, now they're gone.
I have 2 Victory's, now they're gone.
I have a Sherco trials bike, no more Canadian support.
I'll be sticking with KTM or the Japanese products from now on.

• Like 5