Beta 300RR Dirt Bike Channel Thread

Ok, got a few minutes to sit down and write my "observations" on this 18 Beta 350RR RE. 

Suprisingly the Beta exceeded my initial expectations. I guess breaking it down into 4 categories which include 1.) Motor 2.) Chassis 3.) Suspension and lastly 4.) Feel/Controls/Fit and finish. I understand the last category is a bit broad but hey, it's not my bike, my setup etc, so I do think have much more that what I have.. 

1.) Motor. Can't find much to complain about the motor. Yes, it does seem to rev a bit slower then the other Austrian 350s but when you're looking for traction I could see this being a hard bike to beat. Right off idle it feels slightly more torquey than my KTM and pulls smooth the whole way through. Due to it being a new motor, she doesn't seem to rev quite a far but a few more hours of wear and she should wear in good. I think in a flat out drag race the KTM is going to get you but when the condition demand precise throttle/clutch control, the Beta is going to have the edge... I never miss a shift, clutch modulation was light and more so cable 'feeling' than the KTM (less on/off). I never stalled even coming off a Rekluse equipped bike so the adjustment was quite easy. The bike started quick and easy too. A+ on the motor! 

2.) Chassis. Doing my best to eliminate suspension from the equation, the chassis felt more comfortable than the KTM. Though the seat was stiff, it felt better padded and wider. The frame overall felt really really good in the conditions we rode. The front felt a little lower compared to the rear so it handled like it was on rails. What I really noticed the most is how well the bike tracks in ruts. You just weren't banging off the side of the rut which made it really predictable. Direction change was equally as good as my KTM. 'If' the Beta is heavier, it sure didn't feel it, both while riding and lifting it on and off the stand. Even with my opinion on the suspension, the chassis never felt harsh or offered major feedback through the bars or pegs. The cockpit DEFINITELY felt small compared the my KTM. The riders triangle was smaller, BUT I actually think it might promote someone like myself to ride better and more upright (I hunch and ride towards the rear of the bike).  A on the chassis! 

3.) Suspension. Front seemed quite good and prompted you charge harder to feel better. Stiction was minimal. I could definitely see someone who is slower wanting something more plush which would warrant the complaint of stiff/harsh suspension. The rear didn't feel as good as the front. Seemed to blow through the stroke quickly and then kick hard. Spring rates were close to my weight but its the valving thats off. If you hit everything perfectly probably not going to be a issue. But you'll never hit anything perfect all the time. Suspension being subjective makes it near impossible to not offer up an unbiased opinion. No, its not as good as any stock Yamaha I've owned or ridden. Same goes for any current KTM. Coming to mind right now, the Beta suspension felt much like a stock CC 2007-2010 KTM setup. Not terrible by any means, just a little off. Still, with the already excellent chassis and the right set of hands working the stock suspension you could have super killer setup. B on the suspension

4.) Feel/Controls/Fit and Finish. Everything felt right and natural right away. Nothing felt oddly out of place or made you scratch you head.

The body had just the right amount of width from front to back, the shrouds felt narrow and nothing seemed to hook or hang up on my boots.

Brakes felt excellent front and back with good modulation, clutch was smooth and predictable and the bars are narrow but felt normal to me as I cut down my stock bars. 

The throttle pull felt tight and short. I would want a little more range and slack. The odo is a thing of beauty with lots of good information. And still without a doubt it's one of the nicest bikes I've seen. 

The bike does feel tall and IS tall when compared to the KTM/Husky in the group. 

I would give a solid A score for the rest of the bike. 

Where would I personally go knowing what I know now, with this information? If I had a choice between any Japanese manufacturer and a Beta, I would take the Beta all day. Even though the Yamaha and Honda offer limited offroad bikes, I think the Beta is going to be a better way to go.

Between a Beta and a KTM/Husky? And specifically to the 350? It's going to come down to price and dealer relationship. If you have a excellent relationship with your local dealership and/or the price of the Beta was competitive, I wouldn't hesitate on the Beta. I really think you can't miss with the Beta... 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Hans Schmid said:

Ok, got a few minutes to sit down and write my "observations" on this 18 Beta 350RR RE. 

Suprisingly the Beta exceeded my initial expectations. I guess breaking it down into 4 categories which include 1.) Motor 2.) Chassis 3.) Suspension and lastly 4.) Feel/Controls/Fit and finish. I understand the last category is a bit broad but hey, it's not my bike, my setup etc, so I do think have much more that what I have.. 

1.) Motor. Can't find much to complain about the motor. Yes, it does seem to rev a bit slower then the other Austrian 350s but when you're looking for traction I could see this being a hard bike to beat. Right off idle it feels slightly more torquey than my KTM and pulls smooth the whole way through. Due to it being a new motor, she doesn't seem to rev quite a far but a few more hours of wear and she should wear in good. I think in a flat out drag race the KTM is going to get you but when the condition demand precise throttle/clutch control, the Beta is going to have the edge... I never miss a shift, clutch modulation was light and more so cable 'feeling' than the KTM (less on/off). I never stalled even coming off a Rekluse equipped bike so the adjustment was quite easy. The bike started quick and easy too. A+ on the motor! 

2.) Chassis. Doing my best to eliminate suspension from the equation, the chassis felt more comfortable than the KTM. Though the seat was stiff, it felt better padded and wider. The frame overall felt really really good in the conditions we rode. The front felt a little lower compared to the rear so it handled like it was on rails. What I really noticed the most is how well the bike tracks in ruts. You just weren't banging off the side of the rut which made it really predictable. Direction change was equally as good as my KTM. 'If' the Beta is heavier, it sure didn't feel it, both while riding and lifting it on and off the stand. Even with my opinion on the suspension, the chassis never felt harsh or offered major feedback through the bars or pegs. The cockpit DEFINITELY felt small compared the my KTM. The riders triangle was smaller, BUT I actually think it might promote someone like myself to ride better and more upright (I hunch and ride towards the rear of the bike).  A on the chassis! 

3.) Suspension. Front seemed quite good and prompted you charge harder to feel better. Stiction was minimal. I could definitely see someone who is slower wanting something more plush which would warrant the complaint of stiff/harsh suspension. The rear didn't feel as good as the front. Seemed to blow through the stroke quickly and then kick hard. Spring rates were close to my weight but its the valving thats off. If you hit everything perfectly probably not going to be a issue. But you'll never hit anything perfect all the time. Suspension being subjective makes it near impossible to not offer up an unbiased opinion. No, its not as good as any stock Yamaha I've owned or ridden. Same goes for any current KTM. Coming to mind right now, the Beta suspension felt much like a stock CC 2007-2010 KTM setup. Not terrible by any means, just a little off. Still, with the already excellent chassis and the right set of hands working the stock suspension you could have super killer setup. B on the suspension

4.) Feel/Controls/Fit and Finish. Everything felt right and natural right away. Nothing felt oddly out of place or made you scratch you head.

The body had just the right amount of width from front to back, the shrouds felt narrow and nothing seemed to hook or hang up on my boots.

Brakes felt excellent front and back with good modulation, clutch was smooth and predictable and the bars are narrow but felt normal to me as I cut down my stock bars. 

The throttle pull felt tight and short. I would want a little more range and slack. The odo is a thing of beauty with lots of good information. And still without a doubt it's one of the nicest bikes I've seen. 

The bike does feel tall and IS tall when compared to the KTM/Husky in the group. 

I would give a solid A score for the rest of the bike. 

Where would I personally go knowing what I know now, with this information? If I had a choice between any Japanese manufacturer and a Beta, I would take the Beta all day. Even though the Yamaha and Honda offer limited offroad bikes, I think the Beta is going to be a better way to go.

Between a Beta and a KTM/Husky? And specifically to the 350? It's going to come down to price and dealer relationship. If you have a excellent relationship with your local dealership and/or the price of the Beta was competitive, I wouldn't hesitate on the Beta. I really think you can't miss with the Beta... 

Damn good review Monk!  I know you're racing hard and this is good input from someone who really pushes their bike to the limits.

• Like 1