Andrew Puetz

Beta 300RR Dirt Bike Channel Thread

508 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Kibmj43 said:

Well if you'll listen to alot if his comments in previous videos it makes sense what everybody else is saying, he constantly talks about how he hasn't ridden long, and he does in fact compare everything to a ktm right off the bat, which isnt informative, all bikes are different, all built different, he didn't even adjust the power valve before he started commenting about how sluggish it felt and he had only been on the bike for 20 min, don't get me wrong, love what he is doing because to a newcomer some of his stuff is helpful, but you can tell he isn't very seasoned and he has even stated how he has very few hours on his bikes, sometimes it will take 30 hours on a bike or more to get a completely full feel of the bikes full mechanics, and truly be able to shred it.

And for a fair comparison to the other bikes he should be running the same tires on each. The stock tires on the Beta are absolutely horrible.

2 people like this

And for a fair comparison to the other bikes he should be running the same tires on each. The stock tires on the Beta are absolutely horrible.

Yeah, I completely agree with everyones past comments on all the stuff they pointed out

4 hours ago, silver_fox said:

Part of a comparison is comparing differences. I suspect the tires are just another setup problem. I absolutely love my Michelins that are stock Beta tires at 9 psi, didn't like them much at above 12psi. They wear like a rock. The only time I don't get along OK with them is mud. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

When he is talking about a bike i am interested in i will check out a little bit of a video here and there but it is typically a waste of my time.  As others have pointed out, it takes a while to dial a bike in unless somehow you just get lucky, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.  You can't expect an off road bike that is sold world wide to come perfectly setup for your particular riding, it doesn't make any sense.

Him talking about the bike being too soft is laughable especially when he likes to ride out of the power, which is fine but don't say the bike is soft.  I remember watching him limp around on the yz250x and talking about how wild it was :facepalm:

Some riders are able to jump from bike to bike and just ride without much setup or regard to small differences here and there and not be bias about such things and give a decent review.  Then some people can't look past something as simple as the bars being a 1/4" lower than they are used to and somehow this makes the bike unridable.  Kyle always makes a big deal about any bike with a cable clutch.  I typically ride cable clutch bikes and every time i ride a KTM with a hydro clutch the owner asks "what did you think of the clutch?"  expecting me to be shrouded in glowing light that i just had an amazing awakening  And then i think to myself, well i didn't think anything about it other than it worked when it should have and put no thought into it after that. :devil:

Edited by subxero

You guys are forgetting that this is basically an initial impressions video. How the bike feels on the first ride, he will do more videos as it goes along. At first he wasn't too jazzed on the Sherco and then his full review he really liked it.

I didn't like my 2017 300 until I changed the tires, put a JD kit in, and setup the suspension. Now it's the best bike I've owned. If I had done a video like his, I probably wouldn't of had a glowing review either.

3 people like this

I've watched most of his videos for entertainment mostly, some good info but like anything else you need to parse it out for yourself. He got scared and found out he couldn't handle a 450 when he started riding, duh, but now he holds that against them and has a personal hate for them. Funny thing is, most of his videos show him trying to ride fast on these easy flowing single tracks where he thinks his mighty "fire breathing" KTM is the ticket and actually a 450 would be perfect. I've commented several times that those trails look perfect for a 450fx............no response, ha. Oh well different strokes.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, subxero said:

Kyle always makes a big deal about any bike with a cable clutch.  I typically ride cable clutch bikes and every time i ride a KTM with a hydro clutch the owner asks "what did you think of the clutch?"  expecting me to be shrouded in glowing light that i just had an amazing awakening  And then i think to myself, well i didn't think anything about it other than it worked when it should have and put no thought into it after that. :devil:

my thoughts exactly on the clutch debate!

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Andrew Puetz said:

Haha... I have an idea. How 'bout I make a video 'bout sumthin I know nuttin 'bout just to hear myself talk. That blue hoze thingy just sucks that slippery juice right into that boot... well I think so maybe I better figure it out cuz I heard the new ktm's have this injection stuff too and man I sure do like dem ktm's. By the way, please donate... it sure helps us out!

Edited by silver_fox
6 people like this

On 6/8/2017 at 10:59 AM, OscarFox said:

Honestly who cares if he likes it or not. I think we all like our bikes in here or we would have moved on to something else. I think it's great he's riding a bunch of different bikes and comparing them. What he does/thinks at the end of the day has little bearing on my decisions. 

yea but just sayen... If anyone gives a review that's sort of a reference..good or bad or in between. He's volunteering himself for review himself. It's not so much a "first look" type of thing. He calls it a review. we all sort of review each other and we're just bull shitting on a thread. we can agree and disagree and mull stuff over. I think that's different than making a vid and saying more of what's what on a new bike.. and when a viewer is watching to learn about a new bike and the info is off a bit... I think that sort of pisses those who know better off.. 

To me he should scrap this vid. He should weigh bikes with the same components then post up..

2 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

yea but just sayen... If anyone gives a review that's sort of a reference..good or bad or in between. He's volunteering himself for review himself. It's not so much a "first look" type of thing. He calls it a review. we all sort of review each other and we're just bull shitting on a thread. we can agree and disagree and mull stuff over. I think that's different than making a vid and saying more of what's what on a new bike.. and when a viewer is watching to learn about a new bike and the info is off a bit... I think that sort of pisses those who know better off.. 

Well hopefully someone does their research before they buy a bike and not just base it off one person's review. I try not to get emotional over Youtube videos, at the end of the day it's his opinion, which of course, he's entitled to. Ok by me if the hord of people taking his reviews as gospel don't buy betas. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

To me he should scrap this vid. He should weigh bikes with the same components then post up..

Of course KTM is going to be lighter.  They have done a bang up job lightening their bikes up.  If I recall correctly he did a weight review with the KTM and the YZ250X and went into detail how the Yamaha was missing all sorts of things that would add weight and did not have an electric start...yada yada. 

Now comparing Italian Apples to Austrian Apples :D..... I'd have to see what his KTM was set up as for it's weight reference.  I also doubt the Beta would be lighter than a comparable KTM.  But, would the difference be as large if he gave as much effort sorting out the differences between the two?  There is some merit in weighing a bike as delivered, it just isn't the whole story.

I believe KTM has a Lithium Ion battery (vs Beta lead acid), and the MX number plate (vs Beta Headlight), toss the Beta hand guards on it they don't weight much of anything, The rear fender extension on the Beta, my '16 300rr RE came wired up for dual sport (less blinker pods and relay), Skid plate (his KTM may of had one I don't know), the chain fling guard on Beta's swing arm, tire and tube choices... lots of things can very in weight.  Enough to meet or beat the KTM?  I don't believe so.  I just find it interesting with how much effort he put into describing the differences between the Yamaha and KTM. 

Found the weigh in....  13 KTM300 251.5lbs   17 KTM300 243.5lbs  17 Yz250X 236.5 lol

Kyles not super at math.... Beta @ 252lbs is "16 heavier than KTM of the same year".... That works out to 235.5ish and his own video lists it as 243.5  Granted it has radiator guards and rear disk guard, BUT it also is running tubless (not sure on the tires).  So things being equalish... oh wait the battery... duh!. ;)  not as far off as Kyle seems to figure. Of course my numbers cam be off and they could be some really heavy radiator guards.

Edited by RhinofromWA
found video to add
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, RhinofromWA said:

Of course KTM is going to be lighter.  They have done a bang up job lightening their bikes up.  If I recall correctly he did a weight review with the KTM and the YZ250X and went into detail how the Yamaha was missing all sorts of things that would add weight and did not have an electric start...yada yada. 

Now comparing Italian Apples to Austrian Apples :D..... I'd have to see what his KTM was set up as for it's weight reference.  I also doubt the Beta would be lighter than a comparable KTM.  But, would the difference be as large if he gave as much effort sorting out the differences between the two?  There is some merit in weighing a bike as delivered, it just isn't the whole story.

I believe KTM has a Lithium Ion battery (vs Beta lead acid), and the MX number plate (vs Beta Headlight), toss the Beta hand guards on it they don't weight much of anything, The rear fender extension on the Beta, my '16 300rr RE came wired up for dual sport (less blinker pods and relay), Skid plate (his KTM may of had one I don't know), the chain fling guard on Beta's swing arm, tire and tube choices... lots of things can very in weight.  Enough to meet or beat the KTM?  I don't believe so.  I just find it interesting with how much effort he put into describing the differences between the Yamaha and KTM. 

The thing is... ktm isn't lighter... Actually Beta and ktm and husky are pretty much the same weight.. literally it's around the weight difference of what you've mentioned.. the difference between a lithium and a standard battery. This guy needs to do his homework if he's going to do a weight comparison.. he's off.. so it's lame to say a ktm is lighter when it isn't. Moto9's thread is one that got me curious and I went over to the ktm threads and looked for a variety of weight sources and compared..and just added and subtracted. The bikes weigh just about the same..and yea you mentioned the other stuff about tire weight and tubes.. blah blah blah. Those are legit choices too.. I wonder how heavy the stock tires are and if they are also chosen because of their weight... it makes sense if they are.

I was interested in finding out as the new 17 ktm's had a bunch of upgrades and one of them was the weight differences...so I was looking into the weight differences.. A bunch at the ktm threads weren't happy with me as some arithmatic was off by a bunch.. guys get excited about their brand so.. ehh. but I did end up getting a pro circuit lighter smaller slip on pipe and put the lithium battery from my 350 on my 300 for the hell of it.. The lighter weight there just offsetts the added weight of guards...but now I know that my 15 Beta 300 is really the same weight as the 17 ktm.. I'm not sure if either feels lighter .. I'd have to ride back to back.. but it doesn't matter at this point. To me the weight issue is a wash after reading up.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

4 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

The thing is... ktm isn't lighter... Actually Beta and ktm and husky are pretty much the same weight.. literally it's around the weight difference of what you've mentioned.. the difference between a lithium and a standard battery. This guy needs to do his homework if he's going to do a weight comparison.. he's off.. so it's lame to say a ktm is lighter when it isn't. Moto9's thread is one that got me curious and I went over to the ktm threads and looked for a variety of weight sources and compared..and just added and subtracted. The bikes weigh just about the same..and yea you mentioned the other stuff about tire weight and tubes.. blah blah blah. Those are legit choices too.. I wonder how heavy the stock tires are and if they are also chosen because of their weight... it makes sense if they are.

I added to my last post

"Found the weigh in....  13 KTM300 251.5lbs   17 KTM300 243.5lbs  17 Yz250X 236.5 lol

Kyles not super at math.... Beta @ 252lbs is "16 heavier than KTM of the same year".... That works out to 235.5ish and his own video lists it as 243.5  Granted it has radiator guards and rear disk guard, BUT it also is running tubless (not sure on the tires).  So things being equalish... oh wait the battery... duh!.   not as far off as Kyle seems to figure. Of course my numbers cam be off and they could be some really heavy radiator guards."

The stock beta tubes are much thicker than the stock KTM tubes, which are basically round condoms. I know that his 250 KTM and 300 both had tubliss which are fairly light weight and no lights, lithium battery. I know the KTM has a thinner gauge of steel on the pipe as well. It all adds up.

I'm not to worried about it because my new beta feels lighter and more nimble than any KTM I've owned.
1 person likes this

I added to my last post
"Found the weigh in....  13 KTM300 251.5lbs   17 KTM300 243.5lbs  17 Yz250X 236.5 lol
Kyles not super at math.... Beta @ 252lbs is "16 heavier than KTM of the same year".... That works out to 235.5ish and his own video lists it as 243.5  Granted it has radiator guards and rear disk guard, BUT it also is running tubless (not sure on the tires).  So things being equalish... oh wait the battery... duh!.   not as far off as Kyle seems to figure. Of course my numbers cam be off and they could be some really heavy radiator guards."

Beta also has oil injection, which adds weigh.

1 minute ago, brysonrs said:

Beta also has oil injection, which adds weigh.

Ahhh good call brysonrs.  My '16 300rr RE does not have OI so I forget about that difference sometimes.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, brysonrs said:

The stock beta tubes are much thicker than the stock KTM tubes, which are basically round condoms. I know that his 250 KTM and 300 both had tubliss which are fairly light weight and no lights, lithium battery. I know the KTM has a thinner gauge of steel on the pipe as well. It all adds up.

I'm not to worried about it because my new beta feels lighter and more nimble than any KTM I've owned.

Yea I subscribe to him too.. and I give anyone credit trying this.. I subscribe and give a little to Barry once in a while too. I like his channel alot.. Maybe that's what is hard is I can't help but compare .. Still I'm just thinking a little more research and thinking should go into stuff like the weight comparison.. even in the comments I could see that some brought up factors that would change the outcome of numbers in weight.. For me.. if I saw it was off I'd re edit and fix it... not leave it as is.. but that's me.

3 minutes ago, RhinofromWA said:

Ahhh good call brysonrs.  My '16 300rr RE does not have OI so I forget about that difference sometimes.

That's something else that should at least be mentioned in the factors that change the numbers.. because the race edition doesn't have OI too.