Andrew Puetz

Beta 300RR Dirt Bike Channel Thread

412 posts in this topic

My 17" 300rr RE weighed 242lbs.  This was without the lights, horn, kickstand, computer, and around a gallon low on fuel.  I also have a shorai lightweight battery.  The only added weight is wraparound barkbusters.

For comparison, on the same scale my buddy weighed his 17 ktm 250sxf (4stroke) at 234lbs and it has flexx bars which add a little weight.  

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, kbro45 said:

My 17" 300rr RE weighed 242lbs.  This was without the lights, horn, kickstand, computer, and around a gallon low on fuel.  I also have a shorai lightweight battery.  The only added weight is wraparound barkbusters.

For comparison, on the same scale my buddy weighed his 17 ktm 250sxf (4stroke) at 234lbs and it has flexx bars which add a little weight.  

Ok.. but isn't that a weird comparison? Wouldn't a comparison of other 2 stroke 300's make more sense? .. or other 250f's of other brands comparing to the ktm 250f.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Posted (edited)

Read this to get an idea of weight for Beta 300  and other 300's.

I ride a 2016 WR450.  Never rode a two stroke.  Watching those crazy Aussies on CrossTrainingEnduro (youtube) I wonder if I should transition from the Yamaha to a Beta.  Influence cometh via shiny things that I do not have personal experience with (that's the key).  Those videos amaze me.  To my dismay, I have to pull my own head out of my own bunshole and realize that I bought the right bike for me, right now, for what I need out of a bike.  

I have two kids under 10 who are just starting out on dirt bikes themselves.  I ride slowly because of this (radiator fan) in a hot climate (radiator fan!).  I have to start and stop quickly and constantly to put kids back on the saddle (electric start, with kickstart if the battery dies).  I weigh 200 lbs and need a "tractor-like" engine (450cc).  Once a month I get to haul ass with my buddies on rocky desert trails (450cc).  I do not ride on MX tracks (WR).  Reliability WITH readily available parts if I need them (Japan).  I live on a limited budget and cannot afford to constantly upgrade my bike, or spend TIME repairing it, or fixing the "WTF were they thinking" items (Japan usually refines extensively, 2016 WR450 engine has been around many years in the YZ450).

Ahhh... but I will always aspire to be that guy who only rides with other riders of comparable riding ability, matching my pace, and that carry the same fuel and spare parts as I do.  Maybe in 5-10 years that will happen.  Until then, my bike works for me.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Ok.. but isn't that a weird comparison? Wouldn't a comparison of other 2 stroke 300's make more sense? .. or other 250f's of other brands comparing to the ktm 250f.

I didnt have another 2t 300 on hand.  I thought it was interesting though because I normally expect 4t's to a little heavier.  

1 person likes this

HDR you need to accept the fact that Beta doesn't make the lightest bike But who cares, it feels damn light on the trail and the motor is brilliant.

6 people like this

There's also the tool pack in the rear numberplate.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, NW_drZ said:

HDR you need to accept the fact that Beta doesn't make the lightest bike emoji4.png But who cares, it feels damn light on the trail and the motor is brilliant.

I automatically thought that was true just listening to all those talking about the new ktm 17' 300 2t enduros...but after actually looking and actually researching I found out it was bull shit. Im honest with whatever bike I have about what its good and bad points are. Honestly look yourself. I even put one link for a reference but look further . Honestly the difference between a 300 excw and a Beta is about 4 lbs. The difference of a lithium battery.. ktm came with one and Beta didnt...Look it up and add and subtract..The weight difference is a wash. Want to compare to the weight of an xc? Just take off the lights and stiff on a beta and put a front number plate..make the bikes set up the same then weigh. Honestly I dont think the manufactures weight wars even make sense anymore. Look Its stupid at this point. Beta is taking off the kicker on the 300rr  in an effort to play in the save weight wars.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, kbro45 said:

I didnt have another 2t 300 on hand.  I thought it was interesting though because I normally expect 4t's to a little heavier.  

Yea but one is an mx bike and one is an enduro bike...What do enduro 250s weigh? A ktm 250 sx and a ktm 250 excw have a difference too.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, 1wdGoat said:

I ride a 2016 WR450.  Never rode a two stroke.  Watching those crazy Aussies on CrossTrainingEnduro (youtube) I wonder if I should transition from the Yamaha to a Beta.  Influence cometh via shiny things that I do not have personal experience with (that's the key).  Those videos amaze me.  To my dismay, I have to pull my own head out of my own bunshole and realize that I bought the right bike for me, right now, for what I need out of a bike.  

I have two kids under 10 who are just starting out on dirt bikes themselves.  I ride slowly because of this (radiator fan) in a hot climate (radiator fan!).  I have to start and stop quickly and constantly to put kids back on the saddle (electric start, with kickstart if the battery dies).  I weigh 200 lbs and need a "tractor-like" engine (450cc).  Once a month I get to haul ass with my buddies on rocky desert trails (450cc).  I do not ride on MX tracks (WR).  Reliability WITH readily available parts if I need them (Japan).  I live on a limited budget and cannot afford to constantly upgrade my bike, or spend TIME repairing it, or fixing the "WTF were they thinking" items (Japan usually refines extensively, 2016 WR450 engine has been around many years in the YZ450).

Ahhh... but I will always aspire to be that guy who only rides with other riders of comparable riding ability, matching my pace, and that carry the same fuel and spare parts as I do.  Maybe in 5-10 years that will happen.  Until then, my bike works for me.

Most everyone  is like you. We live in the real world. When you have kids your kids come first. Thats how its been with me and a bunch of friends. I rode the same bike for 13 years..an 01 cr 250 and I only get to ride when I  have my kids obligations handled and it also includes negotiations with wife. Im retired but I still have tons of family ,work obligations and my kids swim meets outrank my riding most times. When my daughter was little I almost didnt ride at all. I was jonesing...Then theres work obligations.extra .training etc..and then theres health issues..stuff like broken arms, knee injuries and heart attacks..yea theres ebbs and flows..youll be able to ride later..your kids will grow..things will change..you might find friends like me with the same kids and work and family obligations and we call each other or connect on facebook and text.etc...contantly probing for possible ride dates..I have text conversations like.."How about next Tuesday from 10 to 2..?? " My friend might say..and I'll be like "Ok I'll check if my wife can pick up my daughter that day for swim practice" .."Shoots, I have to take one daughter to ukulele practice and the other one to junior golf right after so we have to be out a little early ".... For alot of riders its a real effort to create scenarios like how you describe..how can one find friends to ride with..and when? It can be done sometimes and then other times you just do what you have to and not ride.

1 person likes this

Most everyone  is like you. We live in the real world. When you have kids your kids come first. Thats how its been with me and a bunch of friends. I rode the same bike for 13 years..an 01 cr 250 and I only get to ride when I  have my kids obligations handled and it also includes negotiations with wife. Im retired but I still have tons of family ,work obligations and my kids swim meets outrank my riding most times. When my daughter was little I almost didnt ride at all. I was jonesing...Then theres work obligations.extra .training etc..and then theres health issues..stuff like broken arms, knee injuries and heart attacks..yea theres ebbs and flows..youll be able to ride later..your kids will grow..things will change..you might find friends like me with the same kids and work and family obligations and we call each other or connect on facebook and text.etc...contantly probing for possible ride dates..I have text conversations like.."How about next Tuesday from 10 to 2..?? " My friend might say..and I'll be like "Ok I'll check if my wife can pick up my daughter that day for swim practice" .."Shoots, I have to take one daughter to ukulele practice and the other one to junior golf right after so we have to be out a little early ".... For alot of riders its a real effort to create scenarios like how you describe..how can one find friends to ride with..and when? It can be done sometimes and then other times you just do what you have to and not ride.

Never realized how lucky I am. 20 years old and can ride with multiple people available just about any time I want, wherever I want, and we usually all have similar enough bikes or experience to never worry about something ruining our day out there.
2 people like this

11 minutes ago, Kibmj43 said:

Never realized how lucky I am. 20 years old and can ride with multiple people available just about any time I want, wherever I want, and we usually all have similar enough bikes or experience to never worry about something ruining our day out there.

Thats why when you get older you think back in time when life was simple..and time goes by fast...I remember and its good....I love being a Dad .. etc..but life gets more complicated..Enjoy!!! Its not going to the same ..life changes..Im lucky enough to have a window now to ride again..but my body will never be like it was when I was 20.:ride:

3 people like this

Do the Beta's need a linkage guard like the KTM's, or did beta tuck them balls up in there a little tighter?

1 hour ago, subxero said:

Do the Beta's need a linkage guard like the KTM's, or did beta tuck them balls up in there a little tighter?

Higher than the KTM, average with other bikes I'd say, but if your a rock rider like me and/or have to cross a lot of logs get the Fastway.  Mine is really hammered but was worth every penny.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I like his vids; they are well made and fun to watch. His opinion (just like everyone else) I take with a grain of salt. He spreads his content out over several videos so the first review is pretty much just that, his first impressions. He will then make some mods, discover different settings, test it on different terrain, compare head-to-head with other bikes. Good content for me as a novice.

Edited by GVRider

25 minutes ago, GVRider said:

I like his vids; they are well made and fun to watch. His opinion (just like everyone else) I take with a grain of salt. He spreads his content out over several videos so the first review is pretty much just that, his first impressions. He will then make some mods, discover different settings, test it on different terrain, compare head-to-head with other bikes. Good content for me as a novice.

Ya I get it, but when I saw how much time getting really doesn't ride, yet his video give the the illusion he rides a ton, it's near impossible to gather enough information about a bike... 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, GVRider said:

yea nice vids..and yea "take with a grain of salt".. It's good to get a variety of feedback ..  

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 6/14/2017 at 4:48 PM, NW_drZ said:

HDR you need to accept the fact that Beta doesn't make the lightest bike emoji4.png But who cares, it feels damn light on the trail and the motor is brilliant.

Read this and other threads listing ktm actual weight.

Make up your own mind.. the difference is 4lbs or less for a lithium battery...and then it's the same weight for both.

Read this and other threads listing ktm actual weight.
Make up your own mind.. the difference is 4lbs or less for a lithium battery...and then it's the same weight for both.

Honestly I don't care that much. Whether the equivalent KTM is lighter or heavier, my Beta feels light enough to me. And that guy you linked seemed to gut his Beta to get it down to that weight.

8 minutes ago, NW_drZ said:

Honestly I don't care that much. Whether the equivalent KTM is lighter or heavier, my Beta feels light enough to me. And that guy you linked seemed to gut his Beta to get it down to that weight.

Yea I thought it was crazy..Id never take my estart out..but it took alot of work and it was work logging all that info to actually  see where the weight actually is . I give him credit for sharing. Actually he went overboard and his Beta is way lighter than a 17 ktm 300. I did learn from his and others threads. For one thing dont believe everything you read as so many referred to a Beta as a "tank"..They full of shit..same weight. I did gain some knowledge and dropped an extra 5 or 6 lbs or so putting a pc silencer and a lithium battery on my 300. I added weight in quality guards so its no big deal anyway. I just wanted to see what the weights of different bikes are in the real world...full of gas..full guards..ready to ride trails or race an offroad race. Who cares what a bikes weight is dry.

2 people like this