1997 XR250R rear wheel spacers

I took my rear wheel off to put a new tire on at the shop and I should have removed the axle first, but I picked it up and the spacers were on the wrong side.  When I put it back together it didn't look right so I checked the diagrams online (my repair manual doesn't have good pictures of the spacers on the wheel) and for the 1997 250R the spacers look the same in the diagrams, but I have one long and one short.  The only way it fit properly was the long spacer on the sprocket side and the short spacer on the caliper side.  After I got it back together I thought it was right but then I compared it to my buddy's 1991 250R and his spacer on the sprocket side doesn't stick out as far.  The spacer went into the seal a little but the flange on the spacer is about 1" from the seal on the wheel.  Anyone have some pics of a 1997 or close to it so I can compare?  Going riding in the mountains this weekend with no cell service and just want to make sure I have it right.

Edited by badcrc

OK so I have the spacers on the right side.  I guess the sprocket side spacer just sticks out from the hub more than I thought.

I just assumed it was to keep the sprockets more lined up with one another. With a shorter spacer it may bring the sprocket in too far at a bad angle.