First Dirt Bike for HS Grad Present

My son has kept us busy with competitive soccer for many years. Now he's graduated high school, and my present to him is a used dirt bike (I get one to! Different thread for me). He grew up occasionally riding his cousin's 50, 80, TTR125, not much experience, but enough. Right now he is riding 125 2 stroke with his buddy on desert trails. We will probably ride trails, woods, some steep rocky stuff, FS roads, some desert trails. SW Idaho has hundreds of miles of single track woods and desert trails.

He has ridden his uncle's CRF250F a couple times down the lane, it is modded and fast, but not right for what we will use it for. I've told him he should get an enduro or woods trail bike, like a WR250F/450F, CRF250X, KTM 200, 250, 300, 2/4 stroke, etc. A headlight and electric start would be nice, but not deal breakers for him. He is 6'+, 160 lbs.

I was hoping to keep under $2500 (maybe 3K). The problem around here is good deals on enduro bikes get snatched up quickly, or they just cost much more than MX. Also there are many more bigger bikes, 250's are hard to find. He's found an 2008 Suzuki RMZ 250 Big Bore that is in the price range, and maybe with a sprocket change and a couple other things that might make a decent trail bike for him. He doesn't seem to mind the idea of a snappy MX bike for trails.

Should I make him hold out for more of an enduro/woods bike, or does it really matter?

If he's going to do trail/woods/rocks more then RM is going to be a challenge.
If he's got more open area then the RM will be fine but 2008 will need some upkeep.
Most important out of all is proper human body equipment, shorts and a t shirt = u know what!

• Like 2

He is a smart kid, went riding 125 2t with his buddies, and wore his friends dad's jacket, pants, gloves, etc. He has decided that a 450 is just too big. He is looking for a 200-300 KTM or some sort of 250 red or blue enduro. He has expensive tastes I think, hence the KTM, but lots of fun and learning to be had on a WR250F or similar in my opinion.

The tough thing around here is that smaller than 450 and the right enduro, new enough in good shape, they sell in like 1/2 a day or so. We just have to be patient. He needs me to be a riding buddy, so I settled on a 2005 400 EXC with freshly rebuilt engine! :-)) :-)) :-))

Well, we are all set. We got my son a 2007 Honda CRF250X. The guy we bought if from was really nice. He called my son after we left and said he forgot to give us an air prefilter he had for it. My son went back, and the guy gave him a pair of boots that fit, a new looking jersey, and a matching pair of really nice pants!

Perfect bike for him, and he loves it! Planning our first ride this weekend with our "new to us" dirt bikes!!

20170626_215835.jpg

• Like 3

Good looking bikes.  You guys should have a blast.  That's a good bike for his experience level.  It has enough power and suspension for him to have fun but not so much he'll constantly be fighting it or getting himself hurt.

When and where is the first ride?  Be sure to post up some pics.

Doc

I'd definitely steer him away from any "big bore" model.  Try to find a nice stock one that no ones been into. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Doc_d said:

Good looking bikes.  You guys should have a blast.  That's a good bike for his experience level.  It has enough power and suspension for him to have fun but not so much he'll constantly be fighting it or getting himself hurt.

When and where is the first ride?  Be sure to post up some pics.

Doc

It is a nice mellow bike with plenty of capability. The best part is he is comfortable with it and that is important. We will probably do a long day ride up by Idaho City. There is a condemned bridge over the NF Boise river that you can ride over, so no trucks. It goes over a mountain via a very narrow rough road and down the other side to MF Boise river. There are also 500 miles of single track in the area, so we will hit some of that. Gonna stay fairly close to the truck for our shake down cruise.

10 hours ago, Motox367 said:

I'd definitely steer him away from any "big bore" model.  Try to find a nice stock one that no ones been into. :thumbsup:

This CRF250X has airbox mod, full FMF header/muffler, JD jet kit, other than that the engine is stock. Has some nice hand guards, flatlander skid plate and metal rad guards. Ready to ride!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgspencer said:

This CRF250X has airbox mod, full FMF header/muffler, JD jet kit, other than that the engine is stock. Has some nice hand guards, flatlander skid plate and metal rad guards. Ready to ride!

Perfect choice :thumbsup: 

• Like 1