Brand New 2017 ktm250sxf

This is my first brand new bike so if any of you have any tips like what I should do first. The bike has 10 minutes run time and needs to be broken in. Also could I swap my pipe from my 2015 to my 2017? I know I have to do some cutting but wanted to know if it works.

Do I need to re grease everything or is that a myth. Also when I rode it up and down my street the front end felt loose. Do I just need to tighten the steering stem bolt?

I've read that, but never done it and never had problems. I see people overgreasing stuff all the time. No need to have a giant wad of grease on your axle. Filling empty cavities with grease isn't necessary unless you are submerging underwater.

I'm going to be ordering the basics as a lot of parts from my 15 250sxf swap to the 17 like, my hand guards, swing arm guards, front rotor guard,ect. Eventually I would like to buy a exhaust I wanted to know if any pipe had any significant power increase over other brands. I was mainly looking at the FMF exhaust but I'm open to suggestions. I currently have a rocket exhaust on my 15 but I know they changed the fitment for 16-17 so hopefully I can get it to fit with a little adjustment.

I also have a Shoria lithium ion battery in my 15 which I love, do you know if it will transfer to the 17 or will it not fit?

Edited by Dirtshark808

I put the bigger shorai in my 2017 250 XC-F.  Only thing I had to do, was ream out the bolt hole with a round file on the plastic strap that secures the battery in the battery box because the shorai is a little taller than the stocker.

Edited by capp

1 hour ago, Dirtshark808 said:

Should I mess with the gearing at all? Should I switch to a 13 front sprocket instead of the stock 14.

I think it depends on the type of riding you are doing and how tight the terrain is.  I switched to 13T from a 14t.  Go try the 14t and see how it feels.  Easy switch if it is too tall.

Keep us posted.

Just got back from the mechanic and he set the bike up for me. I'm running the lowest pressure in the air fork that ktm say you can run and the sag is set really low. Also I'm running the comfort setting in the front at 20 clicks out. The bike sag feels a lot better now I can't wait to get to the dirt and hopefully the track. Just need a few protection parts before I can go.

Edited by Dirtshark808

I went to a 13t up front and it is good.  I think going 13 -50 is perfect for this bike. I will switch to that when I need new sprockets for sure.  The 2016 came stock with this gearing.  I do not know why they changed.  14-51 is definitely too tall.