98 YZ250 bad count shaft seal?

There is an oil leak coming from, I believe, behind the front sprocket. I don't think it's coming from the shifter, because I had dirt and oil caked in the chain guard, and the sprocket itself was pretty oil-y. The nut was also very loose. I was able to bend back the lock washer and take the nut off by hand. Is it possible that the leak was due to an extremely loose nut, or is the seal/o-ring bad?

I apologize. I'm just not very mechanically inclined, but I'm learning.

40 minutes ago, road-rash3000 said:

There is an oil leak coming from, I believe, behind the front sprocket. I don't think it's coming from the shifter, because I had dirt and oil caked in the chain guard, and the sprocket itself was pretty oil-y. The nut was also very loose. I was able to bend back the lock washer and take the nut off by hand. Is it possible that the leak was due to an extremely loose nut, or is the seal/o-ring bad?

I apologize. I'm just not very mechanically inclined, but I'm learning.

I have this same problem on my bike.  Can this seal be replaced without splitting the case? 

3 hours ago, dconklin5421 said:

I have this same problem on my bike.  Can this seal be replaced without splitting the case? 

From what I've seen, read, and heard, the seal can be replaced by just removing the front sprocket. If your chain has enough slack, you don't even need to slide the rear tire forward, either.

Replace the seal bush aswell.... if u buy an all balls countershaft seal kit it will come with it all....

The seal lip tends to wear a groove in the bush over time and leaks