Used Oil Analysis #2

Just hit 28,000 miles yesterday on my commute to work. Here is some food for thought...

UOA Sample #1 had BelRay 15w50

UOA Sample #2 had Maxima SynBlend 10w40

Currently has Maxima SynBlend 20w50. I have a trip across Nevada at the end of the week with a lot of slabbing to do. On the way back will see some slow off-road dirt tracks, then back to the slab to get home. I'll take another sample and post the next report.

27kuoa1.PNG

27kuoa2.PNG

27kuoa3.PNG

4 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

1,900 mile oil changes?

Yes. The lab is local and primarily deal in construction vehicles, so the 'hours' section is miles. I used to use Blackstone it is becoming a hassle to ship.

Edited by JungleDeath

Seems the Maxima did better , I can't remember all the min/max ppm's for some of those but less iron, less aluminum,less copper , more zinc in the last sample . Didn't they have you send in a original sample of each oil as it came out of the bottle to do a % breakdown for viscosity, which would tell how shear stability it is  ? Been a few years since I sent in my truck's oil but I did have 2 bottles that had to sent in , Blackstone . I have a couple sample containers here , was always going to test a few .

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

Seems the Maxima did better , I can't remember all the min/max ppm's for some of those but less iron, less aluminum,less copper , more zinc in the last sample . Didn't they have you send in a original sample of each oil as it came out of the bottle to do a % breakdown for viscosity, which would tell how shear stability it is  ? Been a few years since I sent in my truck's oil but I did have 2 bottles that had to sent in , Blackstone . I have a couple sample containers here , was always going to test a few .

They did not ask. Nor has Blackstone. But it makes a lot of sense. I will inquire for the next analysis. It is likely I will use the Maxima 20w-50 again.

That's more like the report I was getting, it was through a local trucking company that offered the service and would send the samples in, had glass bottles even . At the time I was seeing how my longer change intervals were holding up in my truck . 9700miles and the oil(Mobil 1 full syn) was  97.5% spec and with no elevated parts , I could have gone another 4-5k miles , but didn't , just stuck with the 9000 to 9500 with an oil filter change at the halfway point . Never continued the testing after 2 in a row equal reports.

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

Ripped this off from
 https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/377246-drz400-sm-oil-analysis/
to try and find some potentially usable averages.
5939ea944508d_UOATTSS.PNG.d6caca05cb195d535b750cf9b73f65ea.PNG

As you continue to send in and receive reports, you will establish the average. The key is consistent intervals. When you begin to see a rising trend in the amount of wear particles is when you need to be concerned.

I would say the miniscule​ difference in particle counts between your 2 samples is meaningless.

I interrupt and provide customer reports on grease analysis on a weekly basis.
  • Like 1

@ohiodrz400sm so are you saying stick with the 2000 mile oci's with, say 20w-50 for this summer using Maxima SynBlend? Part of the reason I am doing this is because I purchased this bike from the original owner who took really good care of it, at 19,100 miles. It now has over 28,000 and just wanna keep tabs on the impending rebuild. That and I live in northern Nevada and its REALLY easy to get to the middle of nowhere fast and a lot of the time I am alone. Thus I don't wan't to find out the hard way that my motor was on it's way out....

I'm also a new rider. 

• Like 1

I would do like JJ said and send in a baseline so they can establish how much viscosity break down is occurring over that many miles. I personally don't run mine that long. I'm at almost 19k.

A compression test would be more telling of top end condition than an oil test. Bikes tend to start getting weird shutters and vibrations when lower end bearings get loose. Putting a dial indicator needle on the piston at TDC and moving the flywheel back and forth will show you any play in the crank. The oil filter is hopefully trapping alot of material. Have you dissected one to look at the particulates it's trapping?

I'm not saying the analysis isn't useful, it certainly is, only that there are more direct inspections to further help you accurately assess the engine's condition.

• Like 1

I'm curious how they are quantifying water using an FT-IR, especially when the crackle comes up negative meaning less than 500 ppm water. Also I don't see anything about the presence of or lack of fuel in the samples. Am I missing it or are they not testing for fuel dilution?