2011 crf450r want idle

Hey guys my brothers bike need shimed so we shimed it checked twice and they are on the money tried starting it and nothing well we checked again and they are still good so we decieded to try again and still nothing so we pulled it and it started it and as long as the choke was out it would run pushed it in and it quits of you take your hand off throttle. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks in advance

Did you some how mess the idle speed up? The choke knob sets the idle speed too. If you turned it all the way in for whatever reason, it wont idle at all. There is no IAC on this EFI setup. The idle air valve is the "choke" too. The knob when pulled is just an open air idle circuit. Its a manual speed adjustment. Pull it, its wide open. Turn it counter clock wise, the passage opens very slowly so you can set an idle speed.

On 09/06/2017 at 2:04 PM, Shawn_Mc said:

Did you some how mess the idle speed up? The choke knob sets the idle speed too. If you turned it all the way in for whatever reason, it wont idle at all. There is no IAC on this EFI setup. The idle air valve is the "choke" too. The knob when pulled is just an open air idle circuit. Its a manual speed adjustment. Pull it, its wide open. Turn it counter clock wise, the passage opens very slowly so you can set an idle speed.

crf.png

I just diagnosed a bad condenser on an 09 that was kinda doing the same thing. It'd run, but it was funky, hard to start, finicky etc. I put 12v to the condenser plug and it fires first kick and idles like its on open loop almost. I'm thinking the condensers on these things is just barely adequate to run the bike and they go bad quickly.

You can check this kind of easily if youve got some decent safety wire or actual back probes for a meter. All I did was back probe the condenser connection with power from a battery charger. You instantly hear the fuel pump running and one kick later it's to life with relative ease.