ttr 230 back rim help???

i have an 07 ttr 230 and i bought it with a bent back rim and 4 missing spokes, but runs great in amazing condition. just wanting to know is it worth getting a new back rim if the next one will do the same? and i know theyre not really for jumping but i only weigh 130 so would i still ruin a new rim? is there another compatible rim? thanks in advance

There are a LOT of trashed 230 back wheels, but I don't know if there is anything wrong with the rim structurally or if the problem is spokes coming loose.  There aren't many with trashed wheels that say they had checked spokes.  Enough so that I started to notice it.  You can buy plenty of good aftermarket rims cheap on ebay and here and others. 

If you buy a rear rim be sure to get a 2.15 width rather than the stock 1.85. Traction will be improved.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, motovita said:

If you buy a rear rim be sure to get a 2.15 width rather than the stock 1.85. Traction will be improved.

Yeah, like a TTR 230 makes so much power that it needs a 2.15 rim and a 110/100 tire to control it all.. :lol:

2 hours ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

Yeah, like a TTR 230 makes so much power that it needs a 2.15 rim and a 110/100 tire to control it all.. :lol:

A 120/100 works best for the riding I do. I should have mentioned that tire changes will be easier on the wider rim also.

12 minutes ago, motovita said:

A 120/100 works best for the riding I do. I should have mentioned that tire changes will be easier on the wider rim also.

On a TTR 230 that makes around 17 hp,, really? In reality, if it would even fit in the swingarm, a 120/100 on a TTR 230 would be like earth mover tires on a lawn tractor. 

And the width of the rim has no direct effect on the ease of tire changing. I've changed dozens of all sizes, the bigger the tire, the more of a wrestling match it is.

To the OP, stay with the OEM rim/tire size. It's already more than you need, and going any bigger is just pissing into the wind.

Okay @OLHILLBILLY thanks for the extremely positive and supportive advice but I didn't ask you to evalute my tire choices nor the power of my bike. + my back tire is a 110/100. Btw I take care of my bike and have it fixed up just a bit so Id like to see you try to take a ride on my weak little 230 :/// 

Edited by mbrgee230

5 hours ago, motovita said:

Thanks for the help. I havent really been able to find an aftermarket rim for it tho, Only for the 125. I'll be sure to check out the 2.15 options when I find them tho :)

13 hours ago, MindBlower said:

There are a LOT of trashed 230 back wheels, but I don't know if there is anything wrong with the rim structurally or if the problem is spokes coming loose.  There aren't many with trashed wheels that say they had checked spokes.  Enough so that I started to notice it.  You can buy plenty of good aftermarket rims cheap on ebay and here and others. 

I think in my case the previous owner was heavier and they tried to jump it too much which really isn't what it's for. I actually haven't found any aftermarket rims for the 230, just the 125. I'll keep looking tho haha:)

Get a stock rim (over size will do nothing for you), new spokes, have it put together by a good wheel builder. Be sure he anti-seizes the spoke threads. Common reason for bent rims and missing spokes is poor maintenance and general abuse. It has little to do with the rider weight.

1 minute ago, William1 said:

Get a stock rim (over size will do nothing for you), new spokes, have it put together by a good wheel builder. Be sure he anti-seizes the spoke threads. Common reason for bent rims and missing spokes is poor maintenance and general abuse. It has little to do with the rider weight.

Okay. I'm afraid the same thing might happen again, but what you suggested  kinda seems like the only option since the only ones Ive found for sale are stock. Thanks :)

22 minutes ago, mbrgee230 said:

Okay @OLHILLBILLY thanks for the extremely positive and supportive advice but I didn't ask you to evalute my tire choices nor the power of my bike. + my back tire is a 110/100. Btw I take care of my bike and have it fixed up just a bit so Id like to see you try to take a ride on my weak little 230 :/// 

New to message forums are you? Quote me one post that I made to you other than where I suggested you stick with a stock size rim. Where did I "evaluate your tire choices" (you didn't state what size/type of tire you were using until now)? Or "the power of your bike". All HP statements are from the book, a TTR 230 makes around 17 hp in stock form. You might be able to mod it to 20. A huge rear tire (anything bigger than the stock 100/100-18) does nothing to help anything about the performance of your bike, it just saps what little power it has. And yeah, a modded 20 HP, that's a little less than half what my YZ makes, I'd be happy to ride it.. :smirk:

Rims aren't bike specific.  An 18x1.85 (any given size) rim is the same regardless of brand (in useage, not build quality) . It's your hub that is bike specific and makes the WHEEL bike specific. 

50 minutes ago, mbrgee230 said:

Okay. I'm afraid the same thing might happen again, but what you suggested  kinda seems like the only option since the only ones Ive found for sale are stock. Thanks :)

No, it will not. I'd be willing to wager the previous owner let the spokes get loose, that in turn causes a weak wheel, which in return resulted in a bent rim. I weigh 240 and have run a TTR 125 on a MX track catching big air. Only my knees took a beating. Trust me, a stock wheel with tight spokes is amazingly strong. I would not go to a wider rim. Zero valid reason unless you wanteed a fat trials tire on it and were only running slow and in mud or on snow.

Buy an OEM rim and spoke set. Get a good wheel builder. Keep the spokes tightened. Check before every ride.

4 minutes ago, William1 said:

No, it will not. I'd be willing to wager the previous owner let the spokes get loose, that in turn causes a weak wheel, which in return resulted in a bent rim. I weigh 240 and have run a TTR 125 on a MX track catching big air. Only my knees took a beating. Trust me, a stock wheel with tight spokes is amazingly strong. I would not go to a wider rim. Zero valid reason unless you wanteed a fat trials tire on it and were only running slow and in mud or on snow.

Buy an OEM rim and spoke set. Get a good wheel builder. Keep the spokes tightened. Check before every ride.

Okay thanks so much 

33 minutes ago, MindBlower said:

Rims aren't bike specific.  An 18x1.85 (any given size) rim is the same regardless of brand (in useage, not build quality) . It's your hub that is bike specific and makes the WHEEL bike specific. 

Oh okay that makes more sense. Thanks  for the help

46 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

New to message forums are you? Quote me one post that I made to you other than where I suggested you stick with a stock size rim. Where did I "evaluate your tire choices" (you didn't state what size/type of tire you were using until now)? Or "the power of your bike". All HP statements are from the book, a TTR 230 makes around 17 hp in stock form. You might be able to mod it to 20. A huge rear tire (anything bigger than the stock 100/100-18) does nothing to help anything about the performance of your bike, it just saps what little power it has. And yeah, a modded 20 HP, that's a little less than half what my YZ makes, I'd be happy to ride it.. :smirk:

Look dude I don't wanna start an argument. I get it my bikes not the greatest. I just feel like you clearly had a negative attitude but I'm genuinely sorry if that wasn't your intent 

Edited by mbrgee230

Suggest you investigate the hub to ensure the spoke eyelets are not worn and elongated before you rebuild.

2 minutes ago, mbrgee230 said:

Look dude I don't wanna start an argument. I get it my bikes not the greatest. I just feel like you clearly had a negative attitude but I'm genuinely sorry if that wasn't your intent 

No problem. Your bike is what it is, don't take the idea that it doesn't need a 450 size rear wheel and tire as a "negative attitude". Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but fact none the less. 

The other poster came on with the "get the wide rim" thing, so I pointed out that a TTR 230 doesn't need it, and it will actually be a detriment to performance. Go with the OEM wheel and stock 100/100 size tire, and your bike will, in general, perform better.  :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, freebird65 said:

Suggest you investigate the hub to ensure the spoke eyelets are not worn and elongated before you rebuild.

Alright. I'm not the one who works on my bike its my dad and his friend so I'm sure they'll check that out. Im just gonna buy the stuff so I needed to know a few things. Thanks for the advice