Crf250r is impossible to start if it dies unintentionally

I have a crf250r that whenever it dies without me pushing the kill switch is utterly impossible to start until 4-5 hours later.  For example I just drove across a muddy creek and it died, wouldn't start till 5 hours later.  I am about to take it trail riding in the woods with some friends but I don't want it dying on me and not restarting.  Please help!

What year is your bike? Have you checked valves? Radiator levels? Sounds like once it gets up to temp it won't start again unless it cools down. Spark plug? Nothing obvious I can tell but I would just go threw the bike. If your riding then stop and press kill switch. Will it start back up?

It could be the valves needing adjusted, it could simply be your starting technique. You're using the hot start I presume? Not twisting the throttle any? They have an accelerator pump, and if you twist the grip any at all, it can flood it, requiring the next mentioned procedure be implemented. Sometimes opening the throttle completely, kicking it 5-6 times, then closing the throttle and kicking it will light it up, especially if you've fell over and flooded it.

Make sure your valves are in spec, then focus on developing a hot starting process that your bike likes.

Edited by OLHILLBILLY

The hot start lever doesn't help at all.  Its a 2006 and I just replaced the $40 spark plug last week.  The guy I bought it from said he adjusted the valves, he said he did them correctly.  But if its killing the bike like it is hes probably wrong.  Should I have a mechanic look at it or is it easy to do myself?

i was at the track for the first time with my 2016 crf250r last weekend and it died unintentionally, i was kicking it for probably 10 minutes straight then it just died again. another 10 minutes past and i got it back off the track. i have no idea how it happened but it happens rarely but it usually happens when i ride it too much. i have a gopro video of it happening

21 minutes ago, tobyblankenship said:

i have fiddled with it and with that idle screw it now sounds like the choke is on all the time but it helped

If pilot jet and fuel screw is not set up correctly, it will be a PITA to start hot/cold/pretty much all the time. Follow the video and let me know how many turns out.

Okay so i just did a complete rebuild on my 2008 crf250r new everything. i was riding it for about ten minutes. was in third gear half throttle and it shut off and the kicker locked. now when rocked back and fourth the kicker became free. i tried kicking it and it seemed to have less compression. like i couldnt find the compression stroke. do you think its the timing chain or the rings? let me know

Ok so I decided to have a mechanic look at it.  The only problem he found with the bike was air was getting past the piston rings.  But he said it wasn't a huge deal and that it wasn't the cause of it not starting.  He said that the Crf250r has an extra exelerator pump which if used incorrectly will easily flood the carb.  He told me to turn the gas on, give it a few kicks, then turn the gas back off.  Then give it a few more kicks.  If that doesn't work, repeat.  I have been using this method with absolutely no problem now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tobyblankenship said:

mine is fuel injected. it's just when i woods ride and i go too slow and it overheats

Evans coolant won't overheat or boil unless you get it hotter than 375F. Works great on my 450X.