Beta 500 RR-S Sudden increase in sound and power

Just completed my second oil (motor + tranny) and filter change at 20 hours ~500 miles

Start up bike and it just sounds louder, significantly louder, take it out for ride...

dam, probably ~20% increase in power now... to the point where in the tight single track need to run in rain mode setting to tame her....

I thought initially it was a little low on power for 500cc engine...  had dealer change air boot but it was actually the right one. 

what gives? engine break in? I'm not complaining just trying to understand what changed to provide additional power output?! 

0530171234c_zps5mwa78i6.jpg

Edited by MarantzManiac
  • Like 2

Too Funny! Good Stuff !! 

I think its fallen into the back pages here and some new owners may have not read this, but many astute riders notice this with their new Beta 4-strokes. I've felt it, many others have also. Beta sets up their motors tightly. So they take a some hours to break in, and become freer revving, with more, snap? Yeah! :thumbsup: Wait till ya got about 1k miles, good chance it will be feel better. 

Mine is more powerful and quicker revving now than ever. Got about 2k miles & 150 hours now myself, crap I need to ride more!

Edited by Mark-us-B
  • Like 3

I found mine got quite a bit smoother around 15 hrs or so.

I did have the wrong airboot so when they changed it that was a huge boost in power like "YA, NOW THIS is the 500 beast I was thinking I bought".

It definitely feels better now at 25 hrs than it did when I first got it.

• Like 3

I can tell that the chain chatter or engine lugging when under about 4,500 rpm is gone, but as far as power and sound, the power has always been there, maybe a hair more or a little smoother motor, I only have about 500 miles and 25 hours so I have a ways to go yet, but the sound is the same.  

The motor hauls the mail.  

• Like 1

I agree break in makes a difference but it's like something all of a sudden "clicked" and presto here's your monster power.

Coming from a slightly modded CRF250L (pipe EJK etc) I was expecting a huge difference in power and weight difference. Riding back to back the power was there but not like, OMG, get a throttle tamer on this Beta beast quick before I loop it in the woods. She was relatively quiet with mellow power build thru rpm, no rush etc...

Starting the bike now you can hear the exhaust note changed, she's getting significantly more air into engine, output tone is deeper with pop. Asked the wife and she said no you're right, it's definitely much louder now.  Prior to the oil change we did an easy peasy local street run for an hour or so with her on the Grom.  She's still learning so I was basically putting along next to her watching, talking on Senas, giving suggestions etc.   Maybe the Beta said "oh no... you're not riding me like a pu$$y... let's get in on baby!"  

Anyway I understand engine is tight new but the change wasn't in the least bit gradual as one would expect... Dan's comment...."YA, NOW THIS is the 500 beast I was thinking I bought" sums it up perfectly.... whatever it's all good (except slight coolant odor :facepalm:

0527171821_zpsksryjzvx.jpg

Edited by MarantzManiac
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, weantright said:

Hard to be powerful with all the break-in sludge. 2 oil changes in 20hrs???

Yes, initial oil change done at 3 hours and next at almost 20 hours... oil and filter looked relatively normal (no obvious sludge).... what interval are you suggesting?

Krannie's ECU response seems the most plausible.

Edited by MarantzManiac

First at 1-2hrs

Second by 5 and there after 10 depending on use and conditions.

My bikes I am running 5-7hrs.

Edited by weantright
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, weantright said:

First at 1-2hrs

Second by 5 and there after 10 depending on use and conditions.

My bikes I am running 5-7hrs.

Interesting to hear.... I'm certainly not racing the big thumper or bangin consistently on the rev limiter....  think more traditional dual sport usage.

Gumby suggests 30hr intervals possibly more.... this bike has dual chambers (unlike the kabooms) w/ separate tranny and motor... so clutch debris shouldn't infiltrate...   and using Beta recommended Motul products...  not looking to make this an oil debate... and of course ymmv :ride:

Edited by MarantzManiac
  • Like 1

Did you happen to get new shoes at the same time?

• Like 2

Not beta but a couple of my sleds used a break in feature in the ecu, it's not hours or miles but an algorithm that takes a few factors in consideration. I tried to "expire" it by powering up the ecu in the garage, didn't work.  Only mention it because your "louder and more power" comment is what I felt going down a road, like someone pulled a cork. Most don't notice it.

I've never heard that Beta has a break-in programmed into the ECU that limits power until a certain time, but I understand that it is common practice on autos. Either that or we all need to know what type of oil you filled it with :lol:

I like the idea of the Sena 2-way helmet radios as a way to train a rider, I taught my daughters the same way with Honda Cubs. The Grom is like the new Cub only street legal, great learner bike and big fun.

I just made 2 stupid mistakes during my own oil change :banghead:  With about 1/2 hour to get to work I inadvertently drained the engine and then topped off the trans with a quart. Realizing my mistake I wasted a fresh quart and dumped it all, interesting that it did hold 2 quarts in the trans without overflowing. Then the real fun started, convinced that the engine side holds a full quart, (I did measure it on the way out) I put in a new filter and dumped away. Hit the starter and hear a gurgling of oil, the overflow was pushing oil into the carb and it was drawn into the engine, oil fouling the plug immediately so no start. Lesson learned, it holds a quart, but when the oil filter is dry and the pump hasn't filled that chamber the level is too high, in the future I will use 750ml and let the engine run a bit before adding the rest after a new filter. In the meantime I will now pull the plug for the 1st time (just picked up an iridium from the Husky/Victory shop down the street going out of business) and modified the Beta plug tool by drilling a hole to turn it with a phillips screwdriver and grinding down the pivot edges for better clearance. I'm thinking I'd like to do a compression test while I can get to it, not sure what to expect there. Stupid is as stupid does.

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 2

Johnny - thanks! we use Sena SMH10R's which are low profile helmet mounted for both street and off road. They also make better more expensive models, further distance etc. but these are fine for most folks. The Grom is a blast and great learner bike. She'd love a Beta 125 RR-S someday but is vertically challenged.  

Appreciate the lessons learned on oil changes, looks like I'll be doing this often, three things I do know... right tighty lefty loosey, 750ml and don't over tighten plugs :facepalm:  

For now I'm going to chalk it up to a welcome visit from Beta's very own horsepower fairy...   hopefully she comes again :ride:

friends_brunette_model_woman_horse_2560x   

Edited by MarantzManiac
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, MarantzManiac said:

Interesting to hear.... I'm certainly not racing the big thumper or bangin consistently on the rev limiter....  think more traditional dual sport usage.

Gumby suggests 30hr intervals possibly more.... this bike has dual chambers (unlike the kabooms) w/ separate tranny and motor... so clutch debris shouldn't infiltrate...   and using Beta recommended Motul products...  not looking to make this an oil debate... and of course ymmv :ride:

I doesn't matter if you aren't racing it or aren't hitting the rev limiter....those issues are extreme abuse.

It's heat, dirt, and heat cycling that kills oil.  Unless the oil is Double Ester based, three or four heat cycles, and it's viscosity becomes 5w, and it's shear protection is completely gone. 

Add in dirt, even the dirt that gets past an air filter, and the 25micron stuff that gets past the oil filter, and you have oil that is worn out AND adding wear to your engine....

5 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

I doesn't matter if you aren't racing it or aren't hitting the rev limiter....those issues are extreme abuse.

It's heat, dirt, and heat cycling that kills oil.  Unless the oil is Double Ester based, three or four heat cycles, and it's viscosity becomes 5w, and it's shear protection is completely gone. 

Add in dirt, even the dirt that gets past an air filter, and the 25micron stuff that gets past the oil filter, and you have oil that is worn out AND adding wear to your engine....

I understand your point however many folks like me ride Honda high performance four stroke sport quads TRX450R, TRX400ex exclusively in the woods, year after year.... we change the oil regularly following the manufacturer recommended maintenance guidelines... The Hondas are well known and respected for their engine reliability despite the extreme heat, 25 micron whatever dirt, heat cycling etc. endured in Northeast trails.... General feedback on the Beta engines has also thankfully been very good.

Certainly if it helps you sleep better changing the oil more often then by all means go for it.... Engines ultimately wear no matter what.... and we could debate this forever so lets not. :ride: 

Edited by MarantzManiac

1 hour ago, MarantzManiac said:

I understand your point however many folks like me ride Honda high performance four stroke sport quads TRX450R, TRX400ex exclusively in the woods, year after year.... we change the oil regularly following the manufacturer recommended maintenance guidelines... The Hondas are well known and respected for their engine reliability despite the extreme heat, 25 micron whatever dirt, heat cycling etc. endured in Northeast trails.... General feedback on the Beta engines has also thankfully been very good.

Certainly if it helps you sleep better changing the oil more often then by all means go for it.... Engines ultimately wear no matter what.... and we could debate this forever so lets not. :ride: 

Sorry, but a Honda is made to be neglected, by design.

Comparing a TRX to a BETA is like comparing a chisel to a fountain pen.....

4 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Sorry, but a Honda is made to be neglected, by design.

Comparing a TRX to a BETA is like comparing a chisel to a fountain pen.....

Interesting....  you're using that fountain pen to paint with a broad stroke... but hey whatever works for ya!  :thumbsup:

All kidding aside, the Beta 500 RR-S is being touted, sold and marketed as a 50 state street legal "dual-sport" motorcycle.

In fact, Beta was so confident in the motor that they recently increased USA factory warranty from 6 months to a full year.

I sleep well doing mine every 20 hours or so... like most folks here.... guided by both the manufacturer and the highly respected cross training enduro folks, see their video above and others here , which in my humble opinion, are all extremely well done. :ride:

Edited by MarantzManiac
  • Like 2