DRZ 470 with FCR 41

Hi all,

I recently acquired this DRZ from a buddy who had recently installed a 470 bore and stroke kit.  Besides the 3x3 air filter and full delkevic exhaust (holy loud) the carb and cams are stock besides jetting (unknown sizes).

Me being me, I got into researching the FCR carbs after hearing about them and got my hands in a brand new FCR MX 41 from the netherlands.  It's got TPS and hot start.  I ordered the 3d printed carb adapter for the non removable bell and an OEM drz400e intake boot.

I asked the seller about how it's jetted right now and this was his response:

Pilot- 55

Main- 180

Starter- 85

Main air- 200

Pilot air- 100

Then this...leak/needle 0,0 / OBDVR @ 5/7

Not sure what that all means.

Could use some direction on where to go with the jetting.  Would like to order any other necessary parts before the carb shows up next week.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20170607_183508334_HDR.jpg

So I got my carb in the mail (beautiful) and first thing I try to do is fit this 3D printed adapter over the bell.  OD of the bell is 2.51" and the ID of the adapter is 2.24".  But, look at this picture, it's an MX car but this whole bell seems to be removable with 2 screws.  Is their a part I can buy that's a direct fit?

IMG_20170612_131443303.jpg

• Like 1

Ya that bell is removable and can be replaced with the correct one so no adaptor needed .I don't know where to get it but I would think Jets R Us is one place , but don't have the part #. My fcr41 has a 170main IIRC(it cam with a 175, but I went down) , 42 pilot(came with 45 and wouldn't idle worth a crap, flooding out) , and that same obdvr needle with the clip on the very top groove ,going off memory from the last time I messed with it, never wrote the last specs down but I will  when it's off next time for the smaller pilot . The needle I know isn't the perfect one seems too run rich down low and around 1/4 throttle,( I have the EMN needle sitting here) and I can go one down on the pilot since my mixture screw is only .5 out . Need to weld a bung on my new FMF header to hook up the wideband again to fine tune .

Yours will be way too rich as it's jetted ,I'd start with my settings and go from there.

DSCN1508.JPG

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 3

thank you for this.  I just looked at jets R us and yes they do sell the intake bells.  If I had the ID of the S boot would make it much easier to order the correct one.

photo_su021_211a.jpg

FCR35 - FCR41 2-7/16” (62mm) x 66mm OA 28mm 021-212
FCR35 - FCR41 2-1/4” (57mm) 40mm 021-213
FCR35 - FCR41 2 bolt to Kawasaki Airbox 39mm 021-214
FCR35 - FCR41 2-11/16” (68mm) 28mm 021-215
FCR35 - FCR41 2-3/8” (60.3mm) 26mm 021-216
FCR35 - FCR41 (58.8mm) 26mm 021-216A
FCR35 - FCR41 Raptor (O.D.52mm) 27mm 021-600
FCR35 - FCR41 FCR to H-D® CV 3 bolt 34mm 021-601
FCR35 - FCR41 Big Twin, sportster 883/1200 31.5mm 021-601A
FCR35 - FCR41 TRX450/XR650R 49mm (O.D.62.4mm) 021-612 
FCR35 - FCR41 YFZ450 (O.D. 58.3mm) 23.5mm 021-613
FCR35 - FCR41 FCR-MX OEM (O.D. 56mm) 21.5mm 021-614

I was reading somewhere about a sudco part and the number being 021-216, can someone confirm this is correct?

1 hour ago, jjktmrider said:

Ya that bell is removable and can be replaced with the correct one so no adaptor needed .I don't know where to get it but I would think Jets R Us is one place , but don't have the part #. My fcr41 has a 170main IIRC(it cam with a 175, but I went down) , 42 pilot(came with 45 and wouldn't idle worth a crap, flooding out) , and that same obdvr needle with the clip on the very top groove ,going off memory from the last time I messed with it, never wrote the last specs down but I will  when it's off next time for the smaller pilot . The needle I know isn't the perfect one seems too run rich down low and around 1/4 throttle,( I have the EMN needle sitting here) and I can go one down on the pilot since my mixture screw is only .5 out . Need to weld a bung on my new FMF header to hook up the wideband again to fine tune .

Yours will be way too rich as it's jetted ,I'd start with my settings and go from there.

DSCN1508.JPG

so the new jets I ordered are 50 pilot and 175 main.  I am going to order that intake bell as per HansLanda from jets r us.  Maybe I should throw in some more jets as per your comments.  Should I go 40 pilot?  Got my cart together with 170 main, 40 pilot, EMN needle, and the 021-216 bell

EDIT: ordered a 40 and 45 pilot OEM equivalent.  With my luck 42 will be spot on.

Edited by reip
More info

I'm not to sure I'd buy from him again , he kept raising prices but quality of his refurb definitely went down . Still pissing around trying to get the last KLX to run right , had to buy every jet & needle because his jetting was so far off( even after I had given him the jetting for the first KLX that worked) and that bike is the biggest PITA to work on . He didn't package it up like he should have for shipping and the bell was caved in on one side when it arrived , he was too worried about paying more for shipping a little bigger box.

Edited by jjktmrider

I am still dicking around with my 470 jetting on my fcr41, I am able to change the main on my mx without taking the carb off so thats not a problem but the pilot is another story, I had to take it off yesterday because I couldn't get the screw out. And getting the carb properly on the backside of the airbox boot is hard for me, not sure why. It always seems to be leaking a little. 

Anyways I started at a 48 that it came with, way too rich, bike would die going back to idle sometimes. Went to a 45, fuel screw could still go all the way in. Now down to a 42 and the fuel screw will still turn all the way in a low idle. So it looks like I'm going to a 40 when I get the motivation. 

Edited by Atolduso

Ya , that's the same here , the screw maybe needs to be just off of being seated but the smaller jet is needed . I think the OB needle tip is thinner/shorter than the "standard" EMN so they need a smaller pilot . How is it running when putting along at a low rpm steady throttle ? A little surging ? That is the area that I think the EMN needle will be better,  at the crossover point . 

Edited by jjktmrider

Not looking forward to putting the carb on and off five times this weekend

It's a pain in the dick. Swinging the subframe up is a decent up, or at least sliding the subframe back a little to free up a half inch

If you remove the muffler, loosen the coolant recovery tank and swing the subframe up , the carb is simple to remove and install. 

I found it's far easier to remove the airboot from the box and mount to the carburetor 1st, then swing the subframe back down and reattach to box.

I just read this tip about removing it from the box part and then attaching the carb side first on another old thread. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that.