reip

DRZ 470 with FCR 41

64 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The exhaust valves are usuallu the ones that take the most beating from carbon chunks and extra heat , probably a good idea to take care of them , intake may be ok but hard to say and how many miles were on the head already , doubt they were done when the bbore was done.

These are the valves I used for mine , http://www.ferrea.com/Suzuki-Engine-Valves/p34286 . I can't comment on the Kibblewhites , I've used them in many other motors without issue but not in the drz , I didn't trust them due to reports whether right or wrong , so went with the Ferrea's along with their retainers .I used oem springs . I've used Fasthead as well , they do a good job and fairly cheap . Never did ask them about the Kibblewhites , maybe give them a call .

Edited by jjktmrider

Toasted piston

Welp, good thing I left my head in the trusty hands of a local bike wizard.  Told me to bring him the jug and piston too for inspection after seeing the bottom of my head.

The jug needs to be replated or replaced, whichever is more cost effective.  Have a feeling the replacement will be.  eBay has a caltric brand 94mm jug brand new for $110 with free shipping.

Need to get an exact replacement JE piston, looking up the part number lasered on the bottom of it got me some good results for around $175.  

Probably going Ferrea or X2 or Pro X for the valve kit, whichever is the best bang for the buck.

Did myself in pretty good but should have a nice fresh setup to properly break in this go around!  Definitely leaving the dialing in to my moto wizard.  Plugging Mach Modified on long island for anyone local, awesome shop!

Update:

Piston is detonated to the point of no repair

Jug is warped.

Ordered ferrea valve kit for the head

Cylinder works big bore kit on the way.  Hopefully be able to get some riding in before the season is over!

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By Randy Sorensen
      I am currently rebuilding my yfz450. I decided to buy the hot rods 500cc stroker kit. I was wondering what jets I need to run. It has full fmf exhaust, uni filter, riding at 800ft. Above sea level. I currently have a ncqv needle on hand along with 170 through 180 main jets, and 45 through 55 slow jets. I don't want to do the trial and error thing for two weeks, what should I start with?
    • By Zarzaur
      Whats up guys
      So I've done a stupid amount of searching today just to have no luck at all. I don't know if I am just blind or if I'm actually not crazy, but I have been trying to find a graphics kit to fit my specific bike for at least a week. I am just stumped. So I bought my bike with the seller telling me it was a EXC. When in all actuality it is a 06 XC (I believe). It doesn't have the same tank design as the EXC and it also states "XC" right in front of the number plate (I know I'm an idiot but I also didn't have much knowledge of the models). I have no problem what so ever finding graphics kits for the same year bike, just none that are made to my bikes body design. Does anyone know of different years or models that have the same body style? I can have a kit custom made, but that just seems like such a waste when I feel as if there has got to be pre-made kits already available. 
      I keep seeing kits like this: http://www.ktmworld.com/product/54808190300.html
      Which is a beautiful design to the graphics, but the picture that is shown is a EXC model. The XC model looks as though it has more space to cover. I've attached pictures of both the 2006 models. The XC and EXC and you can tell the XC has a lot more plastic to cover and different angles. Has anyone ever run into this problem? Does the graphics kit come ready to fit the XC and need to be cut or "modded" to fit the EXC? 
      Any help would be appreciated!!!

• By flyinggibbon
      I'm currently looking at moving with work to Andalucia in Spain, just across the water from Morocco and am looking at building a new DRZ-400 into a Rally bike to take with me.

I looked at getting a KTM or Husky or other 450cc, but the maintenance would be a killer, so my intent would be to build a DRZ-400 engine under 450cc which can put out a reliable 50+HP. The only must have's on this beast would be kickstart, a capacity smaller than 450cc to stay in the lightweight class and ability to work in hot n high environments.

I'm guessing I'd build it using a set of wide gears?

I get that the DR Rally bike will be heavier and I'll have to change a lot of the components like brakes and suspension to make it onto the same playing field as a KTM 450 EXC, but the key for me, is having a bike which means I can actually focus on the riding during a 4/5 day event and self deploy to the event, meaning I can start racking up experience.

As well as Morrocan based rallies, I'd be looking at competing in the Rally Albania and Greek rallies and maybe getting off-road in the Sierra Nevada's.

Thumper Hive Mind, hit me with your opinions and suggestions on how to achieve this goal.
    • By BGD
      This is an AMAZING deal. You'll get a rare YZ250 2 stroke, WITH A GREEN STICKER!!! It runs great. The top and bottom end have less than 50 hours on them (That's right, almost brand new crank and bearings). I recently pulled the top end apart and it has plenty of hours left on it. The 325 kit is insane. It adds tons of power throughout the entire range. It makes this bike a monster, incredibly fast. But because it's a 2 stroke you can easily control the low end power. The 325 kit also makes it more reliable, the top end can go a lot longer than stock. This thing will toast most 450's on the trail. This bike has almost too many upgrades to list.

-ESR 325cc Kit
      -Rekluse Z-Start pro auto-clutch (never stalls!)
      -SSS suspension, fork and rear shock. The same stuff that's on the 2017's
      -EBC oversized front rotor
      -FMF exhaust with spark arrestor
      -Fastaway drop pegs
      -Scotts steering damper kit (not include damper)
      -Trail tech Kickstand
      -Brand new grips
      -Quick turn throttle
      -Brand new plastics
      -Upgraded carb, tuned and leaned out for the 325 kit
      -Body armor
      - Aluminum Skid plate
      -Carbon fiber fork upper guards
      -Engine hour meter (recently installed)
      -Fresh tires

Easily $2000 in upgrades.

Comes with lots of Extras too!
      -2005 YZF fork
      -Spare bottom end
      -New tire
      -And a big box of other extra parts

Downsides: Throttle is a little sticky, probably needs a new cable.

price is Obo  more pics here https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/6281377983.html
    • By jghutch
      Going to look at a 560 SMR this weekend. I want to convert it to offload use. Who's ready for a easy conversion. I would like to do a complete front end swap and swap wheels. The 560 currently has 17" Excels, brand new Dunlops, Beringer brakes. Everything looks super clean. Let me know what you have and make an offer.