Street Legal in NY with Off-road only title?

Hi, so I want to make my 04 Crf250x street legal. I am going to do the South Dakota trick as long as it works with an off road only title. At the moment I have no title and I am trying to understand if I will still be able to send the off road title to South Dakota. Sorry if this is already posted somewhere else, I searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

My understanding is they will not register if it says off road on the mso/title. I bought my xcf-w from verrmont and the mso did NOT say off road so I was able to get NY plates. My friend has a kdx 200 that he was able to register in VT EVEN THOUGH he does NOT live there and he now has plates to ride in NY. NY is tough but there are ways around their rules. Hope that helps.

You currently do not have a title?  Are you going to try to get an ny atv transferable registration for it with a bill of sale and then try to transfer that to sd to convert into a street title?  Has it ever been registered anywhere?

You currently do not have a title?  Are you going to try to get an ny atv transferable registration for it with a bill of sale and then try to transfer that to sd to convert into a street title?  Has it ever been registered anywhere?

That's what I would like to do. I think it was registered in Pennsylvania a while back.

Ok. There are a few problems with that. A NYS transferrable registration is not a title of any kind. It's likely that another state will not recognize it as a legal ownership/transfer document. Also, once you do get an ATV registration, you go in the NYS DMV system as an off road only vehicle which WILL come up when you try to transfer back to NY.  It can be changed by the DMV clerk, but I'm not sure they have to or are supposed to.  You'd be better off getting a copy of the PA registration, or even better, get a copy of the MSO from PA.  Either way, getting the street plate in NY won't be easy, but it's not impossible. 

Ok. There are a few problems with that. A NYS transferrable registration is not a title of any kind. It's likely that another state will not recognize it as a legal ownership/transfer document. Also, once you do get an ATV registration, you go in the NYS DMV system as an off road only vehicle which WILL come up when you try to transfer back to NY.  It can be changed by the DMV clerk, but I'm not sure they have to or are supposed to.  You'd be better off getting a copy of the PA registration, or even better, get a copy of the MSO from PA.  Either way, getting the street plate in NY won't be easy, but it's not impossible. 

Wow that sucks... ok so I know who the original owner is but he doesn't know me. He's famous and would probably never listen to me. Lol if your interested it is Bam Margera.

Start with the state you want to do the conversion in.  Find out exactly what ownership documents they will accept and satisfy them without bringing NY into the picture.  Transferring an out-of-state street title to NY is the easy part if it's never been in their system.