2011 KX250f Fuel Pump Runs Only With 12v Battery

Fixing a project bike - 2011 kx250f.

Bought it this way - not running.

Bike has spark, has air and has compression.. But, the fuel pump isn't sending fuel when trying to kick it over. Discovered that by first removing the tank and seeing that the lines is completely dry - not a single drop of fuel.

But fuel pump DOES prime if 12v battery is connected to the green plug on the left side of the bike (instead of the capacitor) and the bike DOES start (totally unexpected by the way)

Read FI codes - there was one (#11) TPS sensor position - adjusted that, no codes now.

Measured voltage on the + - that goes directly in the fuel pump and both are showing ~ 4v when kicking over by leg or when 12v battery is connected.

My assumption would be that the stator is bad, but knowing that these FI bikes have other parts (rectifier, capacitor etc) that are responsible for the whole process, I'd like to get a second opinion before spending money on unnecessary parts.

Thanks in advance

PS: This is actually my second 2011 kx250f and the first one was quite a struggle at times so I'm becoming pretty tech savy with this bikes and their gremlins. If anyone has any issues or needs advice - feel free to PM me.

IMG_9857.JPG

Edited by mikel112

So since I have another running 11 kx250f I decided to skip the tests and started swapping parts.

Began with rectifier - nothing. Tried the capacitor - nothing as well.

Swapped starters  stators and BAM bike runs! So starter stator was the culprit.. It's still interesting to me that it had enough power to produce spark but not to power the fuel pump.

Either way case closed, going to start a hunt for a new starter stator- eBay unfortunately doesn't have too many options..

Thanks Eric for your input!

Edited by mikel112
  • Like 1

My bad - meant to say stator (generator or whatever else people call it)

Oh and I found one off eBay for less than $200

Edited by mikel112

Got it. Just gotta clarify, this is on the www now so we dont want anyone thinking a new starter is something you should look into with starting problems on an 11 kx250f...!

Awesome you had another bike to test parts off of! Good job.

Ricky Stator? Just rewrap it. 18 gauge copper wire, solder, and epoxy. Wrap exactly how you unwrapped and solder where its connected now.

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C
  • Like 1