Dog deterrent when chased on dirt bike.

Few weeks ago I'm on my ride it must of been "day of the dogs", I got chased by 2 separate dogs completely different areas miles apart.  Just wondering if anyone has been chased, crashed and mauled?  What would be a good deterrent to stop the chase?  And something you could pull out and get to on your front pack and spray or??  I don't think a pepper spray would be a good option, could very easily end up all over yourself.   

I've been thinking what is a good deterrent, but would not hurt the dog. I would never want to hurt a dog.  But the 2 dogs I was chased by that day were pretty big. One a fully white St. Bernard awsome dog!  I would have felt terrible if I would have hit him. I was actually chase by him twice!  I was going threw a rural area so he chased me going one way then and the dirt road ended up at a dead end so I had no choice to turn back around and confront him a second time.  Lol. I was like OH SHIT this sucks!  He's a pretty good size dog. Not the biggest St. Bernard I've seen but big enough.  
And I knew I had to out run him a second time. He wasn't to fast so he was pretty easy to avoid.  I was lucky that the dirt road was probably almost 11/2 cars wide so I anticipated that and as I got closer to him hit the gas and moved to the side to avoid him catching me. The road way was confined by a hill side on one side and the front of the house was all fenced so there was no much room to go either way.  And the messed up thing was he heard AND saw me coming the hole way down the end of the street, It was pretty messed up!  But I made it out alive!   Lol. But there could be that one situation were you end up hitting the dog, crashing, pissing the dog off even more, and then he's really gunna come after you!  Lol.  It's actually kinda fun! But I seriously would not want to crash, then the dog come after me, I would never want to hurt a dog.  But whatta gunna do if it happens, it could get pretty out of hand and it's not like your just gunna kick em a few time and he just runs away.  The dog is just trying to defend his turf, you are the intruder and he wants to hurt you!  

The second dog that day was a German Shepard but I had plenty of room and time to get away from him.  Was not that big of a deal. BUT I will tell you this I made sure I did not end up back tracking going home that day!  Lol. 

Stories?  
Safe Deterrent?  

As a teen I had a dog down the street that would try to bite my ankle every trip in and out. I finally stiff legged him on the jaw at 20mph.  He never bothered me again. 

I have a few around here bark and chase but never bite so i ignore them. 

Edited by seer
  • Like 3

High strength pepper spray. It works for the postal carriers, it will work for you.

Another thing is to know some dog psychology. When you run from a dog, or allow it to chase you, it sees you as prey for it's inner wolf to chase down.  Most dogs will stop if you stop and stare them down, advancing on them aggressively will freak most of them out. They get the Oh S%#t moment when they realize this is definitely not prey and retreat. Unfortunately there are some dogs that this doesn't work with, so use the pepper spray on them. It's no worse than getting sprayed by a skunk, which often happens to dogs left out roam anyway. When a dog is left to roam free, whatever happens to it, or what ever harmful things it does is squarely the owners responsibility, let them deal with it, and keep yourself protected. BTW, there are some here who refer you to the self protection on the trail thread (AKA what pistol is good to carry on a dirt bike) what I'm suggesting is nowhere near that extreme. 

Edit: I wanted to add one thing, dogs can be a very real hazard. A friend of mine broke his femur in crash caused by a German Shepherd that attacked him by leaping from behind a hedgerow as he rode by. 

Edited by HappyAndy
Added content
  • Like 4

You slow down slightly and aim towards them , then when you get close you speed up and angle away . It throws their timing off , works every time .  

I ride mountain bikes, gravel bikes and road bikes (bicycles).  I've been chased a good number of times and have always been able to outrun them.  I can't imagine not being able to easily outrun them on a dirt bike unless it was in extremely technical terrain.  I think the only scenario that worries me on a dirt bike is if I didn't see the dog until the last second when he darted out at me.  I suspect in that scenario you could end up on the ground and it would be nice to have pepper spray or a pistol to defend yourself at that point.

As noted I think most dogs will back off when it gets to that point.  But pit bulls, when that little switch flips in their head, are a different story.  Then I'd want a pistol.  I've seen a ton of videos where 10 guys with clubs can't stop a pitbull attack.  There's a video from England of a pitbull on a rampage that has 4 British cops running and screaming like little girls and there was nothing they could do to stop it since they don't carry firearms.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

My own dog chases me on my dirt bike, he doesn't like the sound. He's not going to "maul" me when I stop or get off :rolleyes:

If you somehow crash and he tries to bite, your wearing moto gear aren't you? Bringing a gun on a trail ride and shooting someone else's dog is a moronic suggestion ^

If you can't shift out of first and outrun a dog on a dirt bike maybe it's time to take up knitting.. 

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 4

I've never been chased on the dirt bike. Bicycle yes, road bike yes, I'm only in the woods on the dirt bike, so no dogs. Been crashed once by a dog on the road bicycle, been chased many times, never bitten (so far). I've found that whistling and calling them seems to throw them completely off when they run out at me. Unless I'm completely blown at the top of a hill or something, I can outrun them if I can get in front. Street bike isn't much of a chase, I'm usually long gone before they get out of their yard.

1 hour ago, stevethe said:

You either learn to backfire the bike or turn the bike around and chase the dog. It'll make them drop their load. ??

This^, its what I do, or just pull in the clutch and give it a couple good revs, my XR is not totally silent.  I like dogs, I have 2 big ones, but I hate stupid dogs as much as stupid people (actually stupid dogs just usually take after their owners).  I almost lost my hand to a pit years ago, so I am wary of other people's dogs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Casing-daily said:

...shooting someone else's dog is a moronic suggestion ^...

You're naive if you don't think a large motivated dog can easily kill you.  I can post up dozens if not hundreds of very graphic dog attacks where people are killed and maimed by dogs.  Many cases they are full grown strong men.  Unfortunately they are often women and children.  Most of the time the culprit is a pitbull but other breeds are capable as well just not as genetically predisposed to aggression.  I don't think the mods would appreciate me posting up such graphic videos here of people being slowly killed by dogs, but a quick search on liveleak for "pitbull" will have you knee deep in them for hours.  Be prepared to see people with their faces completely gone.

I'm not suggesting that someone shoots a dog that mearly chases them.  But if me or my family is faced by an aggressive dog such as a pitbull, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it.  My father and father-in-law are both police officers.  They'd advise the same.

• Like 6

I hit a dog that darted into the road right before a corner entry. If my bars had gotten tweaked any more or I didn't have enough room to brake, I would have gotten shredded by a guard rail. I tell people this story and they only ask about the wellbeing of the dog, not concerned that I could have been injured due to a dumbass dog owner. &%$#@! loose dogs and &%$#@! their owners. Pepper spray them if you have to man, maybe it'll teach them.

• Like 5

I was on the mtn bike on a shared bike path and came across a lady headed my way walking her dog on a leash. I slowed and said hi, she said hi, and then her dog lashes out and bites the back of my calf right after I had my back to it.  I stoped and threw the bike down and yelled at her what the hell. She said what, he barely touched you. I had two fang marks in 1/2 " deep and blood streaming down to my ankle. I was so pissed I swept the blood on my fingers and flicked it on her.. Does this look like barely touched. I threaten to kill her dog and we yelled at each other a while and then I went on.  Later at the doctors office they said I should have found out if the dog had its shots up to date and I should have reported her dog for unprovoked attack so it could be put down.  In the next couple weeks to follow, I kept riding the bike path but never saw her again.

Riding a mtn bicycle in the country I came across a farm that had 2 big dogs (>100 lbs) and they got on both sides of me. One just barking, the other growling and barking and snipping real close to my leg a few times.  I got some postal dog spray and made a holder on my bars. The next time I rode by there the dogs came out and I gave them both a face full.  One yelped and went running home, the other just licked his chops like he was from Mexico or something. I think he liked it.

On the KTM690 on backroads going 60mph, I had a pitbull come out of nowhere right in front of me. I have maybe 1/10th second between seeing him lunge and him running into the side of my front wheel. I didn't go down but it was close.  I did break 2 bones in my foot and I was even wearing heavy riding boots.  I ride differently now in places where the timber and brush come right out to the blacktop leaving you no room to see animals charging.

Another time riding the XR650L my 40mile zigzag thru country to work I had a pair that would hear me coming from their farm house and take off running, I had a "T" road and a stop sign.  If they beat me to the stop sign one would get right in front of the front tire and the other would try to bite me from behind.  Someone suggested I take a different route to work.  I was pissed, ready to kill them.  I was thinking poison some burger,  or pack a pistol.  I endded up just zigzagging a mile over, but that was a nice section of commute lost. A couple years later I went by there and the dogs were either dead or better behaved. No sign of them.

I have had yellow labs most of my life and can't image a nicer dog, so I know there are good dogs out there.

4 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

After hiking out from Mt Romulus in AB a few years back, my then GF bent down in a stream to splash water on her face, the bear spray fell out of her pack and popped the top on a rock, blew up all over her.... It was nasty, she was in misery for days!  

If a dog is truly an issue while on a db the operator is doing something wrong. Bradluke has it right. This is no more than a two-three second deal and stopping, slowing or doing anything other than turning the throttle is just prolonging the situation. Its like making eye contact with some road rage idiot on the highway, don't do that. Common sense and a twist of the throttle is all that is needed.

• Like 1

Looks like your only shot is too ram that pup head on. Unfortunate, but it's man vs beast at that point.You're both gonna get messed up, and hopefully you come out on top. When an animal challenges you, its the rule of nature that you gotta valiantly joust it with your bike or yourself. Be prepared for a mess and a hospital trip.

pepper spray, stopping to not give in to the chase, or the opposite(stop and stare down, advance)are all viable options

Edited by RawbW

I stopped at a local boat launch to take a photo and when I got back on the bike and headed back down the dirt road there was a guy walking his dog with his truck. The driver pulled off and I slowly passed them both. Then the dog started barking and chasing me. It seemed like he was trying to nip at my boots. Once I saw that, I gave him a 2 stroke gravel shower. That seemed to solve the problem. 

• Like 1