Scaphoid opinion required

Guys, 

Broke my scaphoid six weeks ago, was placed in a cast from day one and seen my doctor at week 4 who said that I needed surgery because of the gap, either a bone graft with screw or just a screw. He was also going to give me the option of leaving it another 4 weeks to see if it started to heal but put me on the waiting list for surgery, which is supposed to be this coming Tuesday. 

Anyone have any experience with a broken scaphoid? Should I give it a chance to heal, as it's undisplaced although there is a gap? Or go with the surgery? Got a replacement cast a few nights ago and was surprised at how much swelling there still is around the snuffbox area of my wrist. 

Xray attached. 

Thanks

IMG_1558.JPG

Guys, 
Broke my scaphoid six weeks ago, was placed in a cast from day one and seen my doctor at week 4 who said that I needed surgery because of the gap, either a bone graft with screw or just a screw. He was also going to give me the option of leaving it another 4 weeks to see if it started to heal but put me on the waiting list for surgery, which is supposed to be this coming Tuesday. 
Anyone have any experience with a broken scaphoid? Should I give it a chance to heal, as it's undisplaced although there is a gap? Or go with the surgery? Got a replacement cast a few nights ago and was surprised at how much swelling there still is around the snuffbox area of my wrist. 
Xray attached. 

Thanks

IMG_1558.thumb.JPG.110ccad852cd77a8492b2ac9953c1b10.JPG

You should have had surgery almost immediately, your doctor is an idiot.

Thanks for the input! 

Collarbone also got a touch and I was told surgery wasn't required either - went private to get a second opinion and was told it should've been plated straight away. 

IMG_1557.JPG

• Like 1

Remember that practicing medicine is just that, a practice. If your not happy with one doctors opinion you can go see another, that's your right. As far as asking for medical opinions on a dirt bike site, bad idea. Go talk to a doctor. 

• Like 1

DO NOT F AROUND WITH THIS BREAK! I have broken over 20 bones from legs, jaw, neck, arms, and collarbones. Breaks don't scare me.  However, your wrist is a big deal, and the scaphoid is a tough one to heal right.  I broke by scaphoid three years ago, the doctor didn't think I needed surgery or a pin, it healed badly.  Now I can't do pushups or get out of a pool without favoring my other side.  Get it fixed right.

• Like 1

You should have been under the knife immediately.

This is what mine looks like.

Broke/Dislocated on Thanksgiving of 2001 (pic is from me fracturing the metacarpal on a box jump in 2016)

Waited a week for idiot docs (3) until I got someone who knew what they were looking at and had it fixed.

IMG_1101.JPG

15+ years later and I still have limited mobility but I make the best of it.

DO NOT WAIT ANY LONGER!!!

Get it fixed.

You should have been under the knife immediately.
This is what mine looks like.
Broke/Dislocated on Thanksgiving of 2001 (pic is from me fracturing the metacarpal on a box jump in 2016)
Waited a week for idiot docs (3) until I got someone who knew what they were looking at and had it fixed.
IMG_1101.JPG.f5e75b5a55390e0d51ba73c1d22317c8.JPG
15+ years later and I still have limited mobility but I make the best of it.
DO NOT WAIT ANY LONGER!!!
Get it fixed.

I had my screw removed in December, huge improvement in motion and eliminated the pain. Was originally fixed in 07. Night and day difference.

@506 yz125 - I do agree although the boredom combined with that little bit of hope I had that it may not require surgery I ended up on this asking for opinions lol. 

Will hopefully get under the knife and get this fixed within the next week.

Cheers again for the input! 

• Like 1

I had my screw removed in December, huge improvement in motion and eliminated the pain. Was originally fixed in 07. Night and day difference.

I've been toying with the idea of doing the same.
  • Like 1