My first attempt at shock service and revalve--your recommendations?

I am wanting to try my hand at a shock service/revalve.  The bike in question is a 2003 YZ 125 that is valved perfectly for eastern woods, but the bump stop has deteriorated and needs to be replaced.  Which of the following DIY options would be the best for a shock "first timer" who wants to learn more about suspension valving and service?

1. Replace the bumper (and whatever else is needed) on the existing shock with the help of various videos and manuals.

2. Use a spare shock that I have (from a 2002 YZ250) and rebuild that, copying the valving from from the 2003 125 shock that works so well in the woods.

3. Use the spare shock yz250 shock and install a gold valve kit and install it on my 2003 125. 

Option 1 is probably the cheapest and easiest, but I'm kind of leaning toward option 3, as it seems like there would be more opportunity to learn, and explicit instruction on what to do.  A friend who used a gold valve kit was impressed with the instructions and results.  What do you guys recommend?  

Option number 1 is the only one that makes sense to me.  If it works well don't mess with the valving.  If you do I assure you it won't be the last time you're going to be in there and screwing with it.

If it's never been serviced, figure the bladder could also use replacing.

Servicing the shock is much less intricate than forks, perhaps the most technical part is grinding off

the peening on the shaft/nut if it's original / never been removed and, properly filling the oil / bleeding out the air bubbles.  

Removing the small snap rings holding in the bladder cap can be a bit tricky as well until you get the hang of it.

Rebuild 125 shock with gold valves kit which is great for learning and also watch videos.