Test on PWK carb    I have one on my stroker love the performance over stock carb.    So I decided to get one pre jetted from Sudco and buy cable and throttle fron Motion Pro (There CR throttle is almost same throw/pull as stock) The others they offer are quick throw/pull no good for trail. With help from Baja Rambler Hooter/Mike   We made another set of Adapters intake aluminum,air box side two piece steel tubing. That I adjusted to length then welded. Pressed on both ends in vise  with JB weld also Jb welded oil injection tube on top carb. When making Air box side adapter make it at least  1/4 longer or more then stock. It makes it so much easier to install air boot. This 230 stock motor with all normal up grades stock muffler small baffle out . Baja Hooter going nuts o  on results. Was afternoon first start Started in one second. I already adjusted air screw 2  3/4   I ordered carb with Idle screw on Rt side. Happy to report it rips over stock carb. More off idle hit  more Mid/Top end. You dont know your bike has lazy hit with stock carb,till you change to PWK carb.

• Like 3

I didn't hear huge difference with stock motor.. I heard better throttle response..  PWK and PD are both 28mm.

I read "Happy to report it rips over stock carb. More off idle hit  more Mid/Top end. You dont know your bike has lazy hit with stock carb,till you change to PWK carb."

In my opinion that is a HUGE difference, especially since I tried the 30mm XR250 carb and it was dismal.

I am also basing that statement upon Larry's very first ride report on his first slightly-modified engine.

Edited by VortecCPI

27 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

I read "Happy to report it rips over stock carb. More off idle hit  more Mid/Top end. You dont know your bike has lazy hit with stock carb,till you change to PWK carb."

In my opinion that is a HUGE difference, especially since I tried the 30mm XR250 carb and it was dismal.

I am also basing that statement upon Larry's very first ride report on his first slightly-modified engine.

He's just happy about his new girlfriend.

• Like 1

Is it possible to use the original 230 pull cable to operate this carb or is it not compatible?

I didn't hear huge difference with stock motor.. I heard better throttle response..  PWK and PD are both 28mm.

Stock PD carb is 26mm

Yep that's it. The slide carbs use a small "bullet" on the carb end of the cable, the twin cable carbs have a larger cylinder bullet perpendicular to the cable wire. Motion Pro makes a nice throttle called "CR Pro" that will work with single cable carbs and has a fairly slow pull ratio. It was used on the Sub 250cc XRs and early CRs. 

I'm using a MP CR Pro throttle and a CR80/85 cable with my PWK 28, works good. Here are the part numbers.

Motion Pro CR Pro  Part # 01-0053 ($16)
Honda Slider 53169-HB7-010 (about $7) (needed for smaller carbs)
Honda cable 17910-GBF-K40 or MP 02-0162 ($11)

• Like 1

You sure, '03-'08 factory service manual says 28mm.

I have measured before but many years ago, just measured stock carb for my 2005 230f...,

Measured Horizontally = 25mm

Measured Vertically = 29mm

2004 xr250r 49st carb = 30mm and is totally

round.

Both of my PWK carbs are round as well and measure at 29mm

EO 32mm flat slide Mikuni carb is totally round and measures out at 32mm

I would like to try this carb also, as your reviews really sound promising.  What are the part numbers for this carb from suduco?  I can buy  the one listed on amazon but I am not sure about jetting or slide? Can you list the exact part number and Jets you are using please.  

Also, not sure what I need to do to get it installed as far as adapters. Can you post some pics with specifics about adapters. This really has me interested since I am still searching to make my modded 230 work better.  I did try the XR250R carb, it is way better on the top and mid, but hurt the bottom too much.  This PWK 28 sounds perfect!

On Sudco carb you just order PWK28mm D slide  With Idle screw Rt side. Some where I have already posted all carb parts  change over. You order carb with those spec. I will have to check my Cable part number to Chucks. As I ordered a longer cable with my tall bars and Cr85 fork. Stock Cr85 cable too short. If one of you does a search you can find spec. You still need make carb adapters both ends. I know Terry Miller makes complete kit but we have had no contact.With Terry in over 1 -2 months.   

Lots of info on this forum on adapting the PWK to the CRF230F: If you buy used you will prob end up with a left side idle speed, lots of deep reaching to adjust idle speed. I would also prefer a right side air screw.
The CR95 cable on my XR is almost too short but has enough length that I can rotate the top of the carb out the right side for servicing.

Setup for CRF230F from stevethe on TT
  35P, 135M, #2.0 Slide, JJL Needle second clip from the top
Needle Jets: You need the short one, Sudco and JetRUs sell them. CR85s use them.

The jets appear identical, including ID, except for the height of the top.  The long jet extends up into the venturi by 2.5mm more than the short one. The short one is close to flush with the floor of the venture.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1152055-the-carb-problems/#entry12615025

Float level issues: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1152055-the-carb-problems/#entry12626554

A 230F manifold can be used and it will point the carb towards the air boot but its ID and OD are not concentric so some blending is required for it to match the PWK. And the manifold ID is too big for the PWK so an adapter is needed. I was planning on machining one with the ID and OD on different centers to reduce the amount of blending but the 230 manifold is aligned a  bit different from the XR200R manifold so I reused a manifold from a different XR200 project.

Some dimensions that I have. The PD05 is the XR250R carb and the 230F carb is based on its body.

Inlet bell OD: PD05=46.9mm, PWK=49.6
Oulet OD:  PD05=39.9mm, PWK=34.9
LOA:  PD05=96.8mm, PWK=83.2mm

On edit: I'm now happy with the above jetting and a float level 1.5mm lower than spec. Also I was using a Boyeson X wing in the carb and its removal suddenly make the above jetting work on top end.:thumbsup:

Its removal and lowered float level also required an extra 1/4 turn out on the air screw.  Think about that! As always YMMV.:ride:

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 4

the pwk carb transforms the bike. adding the procom box made the bike really usable in difficult sections. highly recommended for any 230f owner in any type of riding.

instead of going with the motion pro throttle housing/tube, i used a ktm domino throttle housing/tube and used a motion pro t3 cable. two very easy mods required to use it with the pwk carb.

1- the t3 cable is roughly a half inch long. measure out the extra length at bottom of the cable itself, snip it off, then re-solder on the brass ring.

2- make a throttle stop to install inside the housing as a precaution to keep from over pulling the throttle. i used a piece of aluminum cut to size with some jb weld to

hold it in place.

both the mods took me about an hour to think out and do. i preferred the quality of the domino housing over the motionpro for relatively the same cost. the motionpro t3 throttle cable is about as nice as it gets too.

• Like 2

you don't have to be a dealer to buy from Sudco.  I used to be a Sudco Dealer many years ago. Since I'm in MC tours and Fox dealer I called a favor got it for about 165$ pre jetted. On my first bike ebay new KX100 factory carb 100$ I think all jets cable throttle was 120$ more.  Still I had to make my own adaptors.

On 6/9/2017 at 9:35 AM, VortecCPI said:

I was thinking, my pilot jet is too rich because were my motor is best with this carb is wide open, in the higher RPM's.

Edited by craig hammon