9 yr old chain

I have an 08 drz400sm with 3900 miles on original chain. The chain looks great, measures in spec 12.5 inches per 21 links but its missing an oring. Do i need to replace the chain due to oring age or just get a masterlink.  If i need to replace the chain should i just get a cheap chain and use original sprockets (no wear detected and low mile) or just get a whole new set? Im on a budget. Also the best chain set for money? Also whats the next ratio drive ratio high from stock?

Don't buy a cheap chain. A D.I.D. chain will last you a long time with a master link clip. If the sprockets don't have much wear keep theme. If you are aiming for lower rpms while on the highway get a 16T front sprocket

• Like 2

If the chain is still measuring in spec and the sprockets are good, just replace the master link and keep riding

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukele6 said:

Don't buy a cheap chain. A D.I.D. chain will last you a long time with a master link clip. If the sprockets don't have much wear keep theme. If you are aiming for lower rpms while on the highway get a 16T front sprocket

Want higher rpms on trail, higher ratio but just slightly or shorter  gears. Reasoning for a cheap chain is bc sprockets have 4k.....or a mid grade chain what i mean

Edited by M Blake Jr

RK chains are great too. Sounds like you need a larger rear sprocket. You have an SM so stock sprockets are 15/41. You could go 15/44 like stock S ratio.

• Like 1

S gearing is the best all around compromise for 50/50 riding.  For highway I prefer 16/41.  Offroad I used a 13T. 

• Like 1

Do you know how dangerous a chain is if it comes apart while you're riding?  Old sprockets will prematurely wear a new chain. Sprockets really aren't that expensive.  

This really isn't the place to cheap out. 

save your money. and buy a good chain. personally i wouldn't reuse a stock chain once split. once its cut don't re use it .. replace it. invest in some good cleaning tools and cleaner and wax and maintenance it as needed. keep an eye out on your sprockets. i don't care how little miles you have on them, they can be worn to shit because lack of care and hard use. i have seen chains and sprockets that are 6 months old that look like they came off a 20 year old bike thats been sitting for years

• Like 1

The stock chain is a DID , I think Yamaha and Suzuki uses them . I'd cut the chain pin where the o-ring is gone and put in a DID master link , use some chain wax to soften the rest of the o-rings(if that's the reason one o-ring is gone) and run the chain till time to replace with whole new set . Cutting a chain doen NOT make it shot , it's no different than the 50 million chains you buy new and have to put on a master link , meaning ANY chain you replace it with . I've always used clip links , doesn't have to be a rivet style (is the best option, won't argue with that). as long as the clip is installed correctly and not stretched out when installing it won't come off . Keep an eye one your chain for any other o-rings coming off , if it keeps throwing them time to buy a new DID .

Don't even bother with that "economy , mid price" stuff , it doesn't come out ahead when you buy more sprockets due to a cheap chain that destroys them and then still have to replace the chain at half life because it's shot . I switched to DID back in 2001-'02 and have enjoyed the total lack of needing to do any tension adjusting throughout it's life as I was always doing with the other chains I tried before that . DID's are simply that much stronger than the other comparable grade chains . Sprockets are always JT or Sunstar , same as Suzuki , Kawasaki, and Yamaha use oem , maybe even Honda , but don't know for sure.

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

Only time that "cheap" chains are worthwhile is if your looking for every last bit of performance you can get, o rings suck 3-4hp at highway speeds, so on my face bikes I used to run no rings, but have 2chains, after each race I'd soak the just raced one in oil in a bucket, then remove it and hang to drop 2 days before reinstalling it and spray on dry graphite lube before the race.

I've always had good luck with did and rk chains, but you really don't seem to need to replace it

2 hours ago, 707drz said:

save your money. and buy a good chain. personally i wouldn't reuse a stock chain once split. once its cut don't re use it .. replace it. invest in some good cleaning tools and cleaner and wax and maintenance it as needed. keep an eye out on your sprockets. i don't care how little miles you have on them, they can be worn to shit because lack of care and hard use. i have seen chains and sprockets that are 6 months old that look like they came off a 20 year old bike thats been sitting for years

There is no discernable wear at all, zero

7 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Do you know how dangerous a chain is if it comes apart while you're riding?  Old sprockets will prematurely wear a new chain. Sprockets really aren't that expensive.  

This really isn't the place to cheap out. 

Yea, i know. This chain and sprocket looks new other than miliage and the oring. 

The only way i would use a cheaper chain is if i reuse these like new sprokets, im mot putting i expensive chain on used sprokets. However the sprokets have almost no wear, none that i can see at all. If i buy a set it will be top of the line