2017 250 EXC-F Ownwers

Can't really comment on the 250, but I just went to KTM's website to learn more about the 250, and they are listing the 2018 models there.  No biggie.  However, ALL of the EXC-F models are NOT street legal on the website currently.

I'm making the bold assumption that KTM just does NOT have the EPA stuff passed yet, so that's why they are not street legal versions...

Reason why I posted was that I own one and wondering if there are any other owners out there.  I guess they are having too much fun riding than talking about their bikes.

I don't have one, but am interested in getting one. What do you think of your 2017 250exc? How's the power? Similar to the 250sxf? What about the weight, is it easy to flick around. ..ect?

4 hours ago, j079fus said:

I don't have one, but am interested in getting one. What do you think of your 2017 250exc? How's the power? Similar to the 250sxf? What about the weight, is it easy to flick around. ..ect?

I just bought it recently.  So i dont really have any good info as far on how it rides.  Ill give an update once i get the chance. 

On 9.06.2017 at 9:38 PM, vizcarmb said:

Any 250 owners out there?  Sick and tired of seeing 500 EXC-F threads.  Wondering if anyone else owns a 250 EXC-F

think about it like that - one 500 exc is like two 250 exc.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 6/15/2017 at 1:29 PM, vizcarmb said:

I just bought it recently.  So i dont really have any good info as far on how it rides.  Ill give an update once i get the chance. 

vizcarmb, just wondering if you have any updates on your EXCF 250.  I am considering one but without a test ride it is a tough decision.  As you noted, there is not too much information on them that can be helpful or provide insight compared to the 350 and 500.  On the trails I know I'll never be able to get the potential out of it, but have you ridden on the road much?  Just wondering how they run at 55-60 mph for short distances around and in between towns?  I'd be looking to ride to work most days, which is about 10 miles of average 40 mph speeds between stop lights, traffic, etc.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

2 hours ago, VTMTcowboy said:

vizcarmb, just wondering if you have any updates on your EXCF 250.  I am considering one but without a test ride it is a tough decision.  As you noted, there is not too much information on them that can be helpful or provide insight compared to the 350 and 500.  On the trails I know I'll never be able to get the potential out of it, but have you ridden on the road much?  Just wondering how they run at 55-60 mph for short distances around and in between towns?  I'd be looking to ride to work most days, which is about 10 miles of average 40 mph speeds between stop lights, traffic, etc.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

Buy your 250EXC-F and keep it as a toy for what it’s meant to be used for,it won’t be fun on the road especially as a commuter,if you do commute on it buy a &%$#@!ing big chain to secure it when your not there,these things are prime targets for scumbags!

Also it could be maintenance heavy if been used as a daily ride,you’d be better just having something more suited to commuting and keeping the KTM for dirty pastimes.

I rode a older 250EXC (RFS) many years ago and it was ok off road,but feel like you would of wanted more power eventually,not sure it would of been to happy at higher road speeds on the tarmac. 

3 hours ago, VTMTcowboy said:

It's a great runabout and can go up to 60-80 mph but maintaining that speed at high rpms will get your hands nice and numb.  If you like running the bike at full open throttle, then this bike if for your.   If you want something that you can lug, I would consider a BETA.  Also you will need to balance the wheel since they dont come balanced.  The bike is just buzzy all over the place, from the bars to the pegs.  Its fun to ride but if you put a set of sumo wheels, im sure it would be a lot more fun and more streetable.  This bike would be ideal running it a 40mph.   At 60mph the engine is screaming.  If you wanted a dirtbike for the street, then the 500 would be your best bet.  I ride it mainly on dirt and ride it occasionally on the street when im dont have time to go to the dirt.  My only concern is that these would get stolen easily given how the ignition can be easily defeated or some guy can just walk it away.  Comfort isnt a big plus on this either but there are work arounds.  

Edited by vizcarmb

4 hours ago, vizcarmb said:

It's a great runabout and can go up to 60-80 mph but maintaining that speed at high rpms will get your hands nice and numb.  If you like running the bike at full open throttle, then this bike if for your.   If you want something that you can lug, I would consider a BETA.  Also you will need to balance the wheel since they dont come balanced.  The bike is just buzzy all over the place, from the bars to the pegs.  Its fun to ride but if you put a set of sumo wheels, im sure it would be a lot more fun and more streetable.  This bike would be ideal running it a 40mph.   At 60mph the engine is screaming.  If you wanted a dirtbike for the street, then the 500 would be your best bet.  I ride it mainly on dirt and ride it occasionally on the street when im dont have time to go to the dirt.  My only concern is that these would get stolen easily given how the ignition can be easily defeated or some guy can just walk it away.  Comfort isnt a big plus on this either but there are work arounds.  

Forget the key, the bike weighs 200 lbs, don't worry about the key, worry that the bike weighs 200 lbs.  They will pick it up and carry it off, so better have it locked to a fixed object.

Edited by Spud786

14 hours ago, vizcarmb said:

Thanks for the review.  I actually have a Beta 500 but am looking to downsize.  It can be a bit much on the trails and don't need that much power.  I am a decent rider, but realistically will never be able to outride any bike.  The 250 dual sports (KTM/Husky) are intriguing to me because of the small motor and light weight, but just want to make sure it is "capable" on the road.  Both Dirt Rider and Motorcycle News have good reviews on them, but just mainly looking for real-life reviews.  There is also the potential to get a 17 EXCF 250 and a really good price and wondering if it is worth it to save 2-3 grand.  Really need a test ride, but no dealer is interested, which I understand.  Kind of strange the wheels aren't balanced.  Not sure if my Beta's wheels are or aren't.  Anyhow, thanks for the info and let me know if you have anything else as I probably won't make a decision for a month or so.  Take care.

15 hours ago, Qball1982 said:

Buy your 250EXC-F and keep it as a toy for what it’s meant to be used for,it won’t be fun on the road especially as a commuter,if you do commute on it buy a &%$#@!ing big chain to secure it when your not there,these things are prime targets for scumbags!

Also it could be maintenance heavy if been used as a daily ride,you’d be better just having something more suited to commuting and keeping the KTM for dirty pastimes.

I rode a older 250EXC (RFS) many years ago and it was ok off road,but feel like you would of wanted more power eventually,not sure it would of been to happy at higher road speeds on the tarmac. 

Yeah I hear you on both fronts.  If I could afford two newer bikes I wouldn't even be asking this question.  Its a shame that there are too many donkeys out there that won't work for anything, but instead have to steal.  Those same people most likely have crappy and meaningless lives and think a materialistic item will bring them contentment.  I have two heavy duty chains on my Beta, but I reasoned with myself that if I get up one morning and its gone, ill be able to move on.  If a thief wants it bad enough, they'll get it unfortunately.  

8 hours ago, VTMTcowboy said:

Yeah I hear you on both fronts.  If I could afford two newer bikes I wouldn't even be asking this question.  Its a shame that there are too many donkeys out there that won't work for anything, but instead have to steal.  Those same people most likely have crappy and meaningless lives and think a materialistic item will bring them contentment.  I have two heavy duty chains on my Beta, but I reasoned with myself that if I get up one morning and its gone, ill be able to move on.  If a thief wants it bad enough, they'll get it unfortunately.  

Like you say,if they want it no amount of security will stop them if there determine enough and have enough time.

we have an epedemic of motorcycle theft here in the UK especially in London,it’s a joke,the Police won’t chase these idiots who nick the bikes as they don’t where helmets,if the police chase these idiots and they get killed or a member of the public gets killed because the bike thief crashes the police are held responsible. These thieving scum bags know this and know they can get away with it.

I don’t even like washing my bike on the driveway just in case one of these wankers see it and try and take it when I’m away from home or in bed. 

• 5 weeks later...

I was wondering the same thing. I am looking at a few 250 exc-f bikes tonight. I am a motocross guy that still rides 125/250 2-strokes and I think the 250 will be more fun for me off-road than the bigger engines but I want it to be able to get down the street when I need it to without hating life over 50mph.

54 minutes ago, seth505 said:

I was wondering the same thing. I am looking at a few 250 exc-f bikes tonight. I am a motocross guy that still rides 125/250 2-strokes and I think the 250 will be more fun for me off-road than the bigger engines but I want it to be able to get down the street when I need it to without hating life over 50mph.

The new 500's are within three pounds of the 350 with loads more torque. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevethe said:

Yeah but they feel a lot heavier and have totally different power delivery. Different bikes for different uses for the most part. 

9 minutes ago, stevethe said:

Ya, I think that is the clear winner (overall) if money is no object but if I can get a leftover 250 for $7500 + fees versus $10,000+ for the 500 then it makes sense for me.

Edited by seth505
grammar

10 minutes ago, seth505 said:

Ya, I think that is the clear winner (overall) if money is no object but if I can get a leftover 250 for $7500 + fees versus $10,000+ for the 500 then it makes sense for me.

I haven't ridden the 250 but the 350 wasent  the easiest bike to ride on uphill tough stuff. You needed to clutch it quite a bit. 

If your riding simple trails I suspect it would be fine.