Best Bike for New Rider - $2,000 budget

Hey all,

I'm a new rider looking to get into some trail riding. I'm completely inexperienced and am trying to get some thoughts for the best bike for my needs.

- 6'1, 175 lbs.

- $2,000 budget.

-I would be doing mostly trail riding (occasional sand dunes as well, out in Utah).

I'm leaning towards a 450cc, 4 stroke but maybe a 250 is a better fit? 

Any suggestions for the best make/model/year I could get within my budget?

Thanks!

Used Honda CRF 230. Impossible to beat and clean ones are out there. Capable bike, totally reliable and if you keep it clean and maintained it will probably have the same value three-five years from now.

Thanks  for the quick response.

Anything to look for while looking at used bikes? Common problems with the bike?

Don't buy a 450.  That's dumb.  You need a bike that you can learn on, not be worried about holding on.

CRF230 is a good bike to learn on, but you will have to replace it very quickly after you buy it.  I'ts a, not quite full sized, trail bike.  CRF250 is a motocross bike.  

I'd suggest a WR250F or CRF250X.  Both bikes are pretty tame in stock form, but can be opened up to be damn fast bikes.  Tuneable suspension as well.  

If you only have a $2,000 dollar budget then your just going to have to buy what ever you can find in your price range. Now days 2 grand don't buy anything so being picky and looking for the perfect bike is out.

I usually recommend something like a CRF230F or TTR230 for new adult riders with no experience because they are indestructible and easy to learn on.  At 6'1" though you'd be looking to upgrade fast.  Too bad you didn't know someone that had a 230 so you could just get a few hours of experience with it and then move on to a bike that would be more appropriate for your size like the Wr250F or CRF250X as Mudd94 suggested.  I would definitely not recommend a 450.  I'd also not recommend any motocross bikes unless you plan on spending time on the track.

Doc

Did a quick search on CL and an XR 250 or 400 would be a good bet. Several in the $2k - $2.5k range. Bullet proof and a great trail bike.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2017 at 11:04 PM, AppDawg said:

Did a quick search on CL and an XR 250 or 400 would be a good bet. Several in the $2k - $2.5k range. Bullet proof and a great trail bike.

I sold mine for that 3 years ago.  Great bikes but a heavy!

I started on a CRF230, went to an XR400, and now have a WR250F.  The CRF230 was a great bike and easy to ride, but as soon as you want to go fast the suspension will beat you up.  XR400 was a torque monster and was a lot of fun, super reliable.  It was damn heavy, drove like a boat anchor, it chose the path.  I love my WR250F.  Faster than my XR400, suspension and balance light years ahead.

Kdx 200/220 are good and can be found for around that price, even less.