Anyone ride Northern CO?

Does anyone ride up around Red Feather Lakes?  I would like to go up there and practice riding since I have ZERO off road experience.  I'd like to take my 7 year old nephew on his 70 as well.  Are there some good easy roads and trails in that area to get comfortable on?  Would anyone like to go up there sometime, I think most of the snow is melted off up there.  I'm in Wellington

Yeah I ride up there quite a bit. I've got four little kids, 7 is the oldest so we camp out and put put around. Lots of fire roads and easy riding. Untill the snow melts and they open deadman, all the riding is west of manhattan road. 517 I think is a good access point. I ride pretty hard but happy to put around too, less painful anyway. I have plans for about the next 4 weekends, but we always go up deadman once its open and go camp below the tower. Plenty of easy roads there too. Give me a shout around the 2nd weekend in July, probably be headed that way.

• Like 1

I'm itching to get out and try some beginner riding but I usually don't have time to go somewhere like Rampart

Go check out pawnee grasslands ohv area when it opens in the fall/winter. Doesnt get much better than that as there is difficulty from beginner to expert and the whole 2 square miles can be seen from the parking lot so if you get overzealous, its an easy walk back to truck.

• Like 1

We ride up by Redfeather as well. As stated, plenty of fire roads and easy trails for kiddos. I think most trails by killpecker road will be open the 15th of this month. We will be up there the 30th I do believe unless we go to Gould. Trails down by Bellaire lake are open.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bradcutter said:

Go check out pawnee grasslands ohv area when it opens in the fall/winter. Doesnt get much better than that as there is difficulty from beginner to expert and the whole 2 square miles can be seen from the parking lot so if you get overzealous, its an easy walk back to truck. emoji6.png

I am looking forward to when Pawnee opens, I've seen some pictures and videos from there.  Looks like a good time.

12 hours ago, morphrider said:

We ride up by Redfeather as well. As stated, plenty of fire roads and easy trails for kiddos. I think most trails by killpecker road will be open the 15th of this month. We will be up there the 30th I do believe unless we go to Gould. Trails down by Bellaire lake are open.

Thanks for the info, I'm starting to check out the maps I printed of the trails in the area.  I may go up and do a little recon next week.

• Like 1

If you will do some recon, take the bike with you. I would ride there a lot more if I lived in Wellington like you. I am in Longmont so that's a bit further but still not bad. Rather go there than Rampart any day.

I'm new to this forum, and new to dirt, though I rode street for 15 years.  Just purchased a KTM 300 XCW yesterday and planning to head to Bunce Road/IronClads, etc. just outside of Allenspark and off the Peak to Peak Highway.  I had a Jeep and did a ton of offroading, so I'm familiar with all of these trails.

Planning to head there Saturday (06/24) if anyone would like to meet.  Its not as far north as Red Feather Lakes, but much closer than Rampart.  I'm in Frederick.

On 6/10/2017 at 7:37 AM, morphrider said:

If you will do some recon, take the bike with you. I would ride there a lot more if I lived in Wellington like you. I am in Longmont so that's a bit further but still not bad. Rather go there than Rampart any day.

@Morphrider - I'm in Frederick and work in Longmont.  If you want to show a newbie the ropes, let me know.