XR 650L intermittent bog problem. Help please.

Hi,  ive revently bought a 2005 650L. It needed rejetting. Ive desnorkeled it and desmogged it aswell. It ran really well for a while. Recently, it started to bog. Its still running really well most of the time, but there and there, it die. It will restart, but die as soon as I give it throttle. Then everything is fine for a while. 

I also notice that it sometime, intemittently, bog down low, but without dying. Seem like a really lean condition, but my jetting is alright.

Its happening more and more often.

Ive ordered a new CDI. Any other thing I should check for?

Turn the petcock off and open the drain screw on the carb , let it drain. Turn the gas back on until gas comes out again and close the drain screw. It sounds like debris in the float bowl intermittently getting sucked into a jet a then dropping back out. Often this will flush it out.

Did you replace the short pilot jet with a long one? The long one is fine but the slosh baffle can move around and partially block it, trimming the baffle on mine fixed this.

4 hours ago, XR650L_Dave said:

Did you replace the short pilot jet with a long one? The long one is fine but the slosh baffle can move around and partially block it, trimming the baffle on mine fixed this.

The one I putted in was the same as the one I took out. Im not sure what kind it is. Good info though. Did the a ride today and it was fine. Will replace the cdi, then explore that if the bog is still there.

So yeah. I changed the CDI and it was not the issue. I will explore the carb and try to see if its not a slosh baffle issue... can you just remove it?

I think ive found the issue...when I rejetted the bike, I used a scotch tape to hold the float up while I was changing the jet. Long story short, I forgot to remove it. Its was in the bowl. Probably intermittently block the jet...sorry for the trouble guy

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. Glad you got it sorted out.