kx250f high octane?

would it hurt to put octane boost in my gas for my 2006 kx250f? i was thinking it would be good since the engine has such high compression. has anyone ever done this and has there been any problems??

Unless your engine has a high compression piston and serious engine mods (internal, not bolt-ons),

premium 91 octane pump gasoline is all that's required.

If the engine has pre-ignition or knocks, there's another issue to fix. (timing, wrong plug, overheating etc.)

You won't gain anything by running higher octane than required.

''just enough with a small safety margin"  is actually the best approach.

• Like 2

To answer your original question, no it will not hurt anything to put octane booster in the bike..... But 91 is all you need

• Like 1

would it hurt to put octane boost in my gas for my 2006 kx250f? i was thinking it would be good since the engine has such high compression. has anyone ever done this and has there been any problems??

What fuel are you using now? What problem are you having now that you are trying to fix?

The spark timing, the compression ratio, the air/fuel mix, octane level, all come together to give the combustion and power at the right moment.

Octane rating is just a number that tells the level of a fuel's ability to resist premature combustion, aka detonation: "knocking" or "pinging". Octane rating does NOT add any power. It actually has less.

If you have a knocking/pinging problem or a really hard starting; and you have eliminated all other possible causes. Such as piston slap, connecting rod bearings, valve timing and clearance ..... then could try raising gas octane one level. Unless you have a problem there is no reason to. Go with the lowest octane the machine will run on. Raise octane only if there is a said problem.

FYI, I run all our toys out of the gas cans of regular 87 including our '05 bikes. One of them does have a higher compression piston in it. It can be a bit temperamental sometimes, only when really hot outside. When I do get to the pumps specific for a bike day, 91 gas does fix that bike's quirks.

So, all that said and you to now be able to answer your question with the knowledge shared .... what fuel octane level are you running now and are there any problems? Should you go up or down on octane?

Hope that helps!