Bottom end tick??

Hey guys. This past winter i purchased a blown 2005 crf250r. I did a complete rebuild with new crank, bearings, piston, all new head, etc. When I went to start it it took a while to start and when it did, it had a nasty tick from what seem like the bottom end. I was wondering if any of you have had this happen or know what it is. Is it the piston with some blowby or is the crank bad. I have a video but still figuring out how to post it. If any of you have any info please chime in. I would like to try everything before i have to split the cases again. Thank you

• Like 1

Sounds alot like the kickstart ratchet gear making noise, when its running can you feel contact that matches up with the noise- when you hold onto the kickstart lever?

I did not try it but the gear that connects the kick starter spindle to the clutch was missing the washer causing it some play. Would that cause it?

1 hour ago, blowncrf said:

I did not try it but the gear that connects the kick starter spindle to the clutch was missing the washer causing it some play. Would that cause it?

You should check that out right away then.

No idea what washer your talking about, which one is it in the diagram using the link?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?partcategory=668939&manufacturer=1&category=5&year=2006&model=24682

I took a look at the kick starter spindle and it looks fine. Functions as normal. Just a little wear on the ratchet, which my guess is that it is old

index your kicker gear mecanism properly, read up on lining up the punch mark on the gear to the shaft

index your kicker gear mecanism properly, read up on lining up the punch mark on the gear to the shaft

I double checked it and yes it is lined up
  • Like 1

ok  fair enough , but i still suspect its dragging. my next move would be to get a length of wooden broom handle and listen at various points to pin point the source of the sound

13 minutes ago, peaceofwork said:

ok  fair enough , but i still suspect its dragging. my next move would be to get a length of wooden broom handle and listen at various points to pin point the source of the sound

I have done this with the help of a mechanics stethoscope and a screwdriver and cannot pinpoint the sound. Rattles everything 

1 minute ago, peaceofwork said:

sorey i cant be more help

That's that's ok. I am going to try and get to the bottom of this 

Found out that the bolts that hold the bearing retainers for the counter balancer was wrong. They were too long causing the counterbalancer to hit the bolts making that horrible noise