So the nut that's in the power valve on an ole 2 smoke I got is stripping, and for whatever reason, so are all the bolts and nuts on just this bike , could be that it's so old, but there is really no way I can get into the power valve and Remove the nut without it stripping worse, any ideas? Btw it's the nut that secures the cylinder.

I think it might be the nut operating the wrench that might be the problem. just kidding but on a serious note there must be something your doing wrong, whether its you or your tools, that's causing every nut and bolt to strip.

Well it's just in this bike, same tools I've used for the other 30 bikes I've had, never had this problem, all the bolts on this bike seem SUPER SOFT

if its the threads that are stripped I usually try to pry on the bolt or nut while unscrewing it. if its the head that's stripped I usually use vice grips or a pipe wrench to grip. I don't know what the bolt your trying to get out looks like or what kind of access you have but those are usually my go to methods.

if its the threads that are stripped I usually try to pry on the bolt or nut while unscrewing it. if its the head that's stripped I usually use vice grips or a pipe wrench to grip. I don't know what the bolt your trying to get out looks like or what kind of access you have but those are usually my go to methods.

It's the nut not the treads

Use 6 pt sockets/wrenches

Sockets and wrenches do wear out

For a rounded nut a vice grip 'might' work though it will squeeze the nut on the threads. instead, cut a slot in the nut or use a nut splitter and left the nut off.

• Like 1

if it's an old bike it could have already been damaged before and you are just finishing it off.   I have had a few older bikes that were just a mess from previous owners but mostly with the threads of holes being partially stripped or bolts being broken off in the threads.  I had a 92 ktm 300 that the casting and threads felt like butter, a torque wrench on that bike was a must.  

Get a needle nose pair of vice grips and lock 'em on. Pull out while turning.

Get a needle nose pair of vice grips and lock 'em on. Pull out while turning.

I'll give that a try.
if it's an old bike it could have already been damaged before and you are just finishing it off.   I have had a few older bikes that were just a mess from previous owners but mostly with the threads of holes being partially stripped or bolts being broken off in the threads.  I had a 92 ktm 300 that the casting and threads felt like butter, a torque wrench on that bike was a must.  

I was using a torque wrench to get them off even nuts are all butter

I have a friends ttr125 in my garage at the moment doing a little resto and the ding dong has also stripped every single thread on the bike.  Nightmare!  Pisses me off so bad that some people do chin-ups on their 1/4" wrench when fastening bolts  :foul:

Edit: Thinking about it further, all the stripped threads on said ttr are on the frame side i.e. female fasteners/internal threads.  I think this has everything to do with the fact that ttr's are made of cheap steel in Vietnam or wherever they're built.  I'm 99% sure ttrs are not made in Japan as well as many other cheaper lesser Jap bikes.  WHat kinda bike are we talking about here, OP? 

Edited by Kangaroo_Smasher

9 hours ago, Kibmj43 said:

I'll give that a try.
I was using a torque wrench to get them off even nuts are all butter

NEVER use a torque wrench to loosen bolts or nuts. you now have a useless torque wrench.

NEVER use a torque wrench to loosen bolts or nuts. you now have a useless torque wrench.

Sorry that was a typo, I ment on* , the nuts are all butter, but I got it off

Use a chisel.  Start with it 90 degrees to the nut.  Start tapping with lots of little taps.  As you are tapping slowly start angling the chisel such that it's trying to knock the nut counter clockwise.  The first couple times the chisel will slip off.  When it slips off start back at the 90 degree position and do it again.  Eventually two things are going to happen.  First you'll remove some material from the nut which loosens it's grip big time.  Secondly you'll form a notch for the chisel to catch in so all those little taps when the chisel is angled spin the nut loose.

This works like a charm.

Edited by Doc_d

Use a chisel.  Start with it 90 degrees to the nut.  Start tapping with lots of little taps.  As you are tapping slowly start angling the chisel such that it's trying to knock the nut counter clockwise.  The first couple times the chisel will slip off.  When it slips off start back at the 90 degree position and do it again.
This works like a charm.

I already got it, using this method, struggle struggle struggle, blow do that, blow torch, let it cool and fill it full of knocker loose, let it sit over night, do that again and boom could have blown that beauty off
  • Like 1