CR85R Broken Cylinder Exhaust port

I'm thinking about buying this bike tomorrow as a small project.
The exhaust port is broken on the cylinder where it meets the header. 
The owner doesn't know what happened, he said bought it like that last October.
Should this be an easy fix? or what do you think?
I have no experience with 2 strokes but can learn, have heard they are easy to work on

00s0s_8yEStzC5hTi_600x450.jpg

00W0W_8S6jfImF4ls_600x450.jpg

if you dont ask you dont get - id rather look into repairing it first than buying another cylinder

• Like 1

I repaired damage identical to that on my KTM 300 cylinder with a Liquid metal epoxy (i'll run out to my shed in a minute and take a picture of the stuff I used if i can find it), wrapped a few layers of electrical tape around the pipe without the o-rings on it, made sure the pipe was strait (maybe buy a new one if its bent) and set it in the exhaust port and then smeared the epoxy stuff to fill out the missing bit, let it set overnight (it actually takes about a week to fully set with such a large lump of it, but overnight makes it easy to work with) then used a air rotory bur grinder to blend the epoxy with the cylinder and smooth the inside of the exhaust port, it worked out really well.

I also repaired the cases of a 74' suzuki TM250 that has a chain let go and mangle the cases, broke the bosses where the screws go through to bolt the cases together, did it in a similar way, built it up, let it partially set and blended it and re-drilled the hole, then let it fully set before carefully facing off the excess epoxy on the mating surfaces on a lathe.

Of course look at the cylinder and see if it needs replacing first anyway, if the cylinder is shot, might as well just find another cylinder instead of going to the trouble.

Edited by Ttoks

29 minutes ago, mxsteve1968 said:

The correct repair will cost more than an new cylinder.. $273.00 new @ motosport.com good luck

Doubt that very much - you forgot to add on piston and ring set plus gaskets - you wouldnt put the old parts in a new cylinder

• Like 1