Am I getting a fair deal?

Hello this is my first post, and I've been looking for a used DR-Z 400S to get as my first street legal bike, haven't had much luck unfortunately, almost everything for sales seem to be '16/'17. But I found a used '07 DR-Z 400S with 10k miles on it, no cosmetic damage from what I can tell from pics (will be going to look in person this coming week), and the dealership had it for sale for 3500$ and wanted 4k after all fee's, but I'm able to get 3700$ out the door and was curious if this was a fair or good deal. Please let me know what you think any advice or comment would be appreciated thanks.

drz1.jpg

drz2.jpg

drz3.jpg

drz4.jpg

Edited by chief10mm
added pics

Prices really depend on condition over mileage and age (to an extent), availability and location. That said, that's not a bad price for a good condition S model IMO. You may also have the benefit of some sort of warranty via the dealer which you wouldn't get private sale. Lastly, nobody can really answer that besides you. If you are happy with the price and what you get, that's all that matters. 

If you really wanted a better opinion, post pics. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bandit0 said:

Prices really depend on condition over mileage and age (to an extent), availability and location. That said, that's not a bad price for a good condition S model IMO. You may also have the benefit of some sort of warranty via the dealer which you wouldn't get private sale. Lastly, nobody can really answer that besides you. If you are happy with the price and what you get, that's all that matters. 

If you really wanted a better opinion, post pics. 

Posted pics.

i dont like it for that much money ..  i think you could do better for that kindof money if you wait and look, but i know thats not always an option ... for one thing its missing the stock tank unless they have it, doubt that, the plastic may be functional but looks like garbage ... and for another thing it has a cheap chinese wheel on the back, what gives with that who knows .. i'd offer them 27 out the door and if not whatever ..

I'd be out for that money on that bike. The mismatched rear wheel means one of two things, either maintenance was neglected and rear bearings went out to the point it trashed the hub, or, it got hit hard enough to bend the rim or break spokes. I'm guessing the po didn't take that good of care of it. I'd buy it for 3k out the door.

42 minutes ago, cowpie said:

i dont like it for that much money ..  i think you could do better for that kindof money if you wait and look, but i know thats not always an option ... for one thing its missing the stock tank unless they have it, doubt that, the plastic may be functional but looks like garbage ... and for another thing it has a cheap chinese wheel on the back, what gives with that who knows .. i'd offer them 27 out the door and if not whatever ..

Im guessing you never heard of warp 9. warp 9 is not a cheap Chinese wheel.

• Like 2

Hey everyone thanks for the advice it is much appreciated. I felt the price was to high which is why I felt like I should ask(which Im very glad I did), unless they come down a lot I'll just keep looking until I find something better.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Correct that a warp 9 is a decent wheel, but it is chinese and it is cheap when compared to an oem drz hub on a stock did rim.

Not to hijack the thread, but what is 'cheap' in this context? I'm confident the retail price of the 7050 series aluminum rim with stainless spokes and a machined billet hub is priced less than the stock 6000 series aluminum wheel with heavy galvanized spokes and heavy cast hub, but they are superior in strength and weight to the stockers. :)

That said, I'd still shy away from a bike with one wheel replaced. Could have been run over by a car.

• Like 3

Not to hijack the thread, but what is 'cheap' in this context? I'm confident the retail price of the 7050 series aluminum rim with stainless spokes and a machined billet hub is priced less than the stock 6000 series aluminum wheel with heavy galvanized spokes and heavy cast hub, but they are superior in strength and weight to the stockers. :)

That said, I'd still shy away from a bike with one wheel replaced. Could have been run over by a car.

Cheap as in monetary investment, not quality.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Also, keep in mind that drzs are overpriced in my area..... so in a more reasonable area it would be a $2,300 bike.

Short riding season and high property tax keeps prices high in our region. Dealers need bigger margins to stay in business.

Cheap as in monetary investment, not quality.

I want a set in the worst way................................ :banana:

Edited by Bermudacat

22 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

Im guessing you never heard of warp 9. warp 9 is not a cheap Chinese wheel.

sorry, its a 'rebranded' chinese wheel lol .. trust me it comes from the same place my 'victory' rims did ...

4 hours ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Like these? I picked these up for a song a few years back. One of these days I'm gonna lathe up a set of spacers to make em match up!

I do like those. They're shiny. Where were ya singin' at? I wanna go there................................:smirk:

The front needs an odd bushing?

4 hours ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

20170611_163859.jpgTechnical difficulties......

I'm going to get a set of dirt rims. Part of my weight saving quest. :D

• Like 1

I'm going to get a set of dirt rims. Part of my weight saving quest.

Nah, there supposed to be on an 03 crf450r but the rotor to center and sprocket to center will work on the drz. Axle sizes are just wrong, no biggee, just gotta pony up for rubber and another voyager GPS. Ya know, priorities. Plus I got a couple of trail bikes down atm so the Z is doing woods duty right now and sumo is back burner. Besides, they look pretty hanging in the shop, lol.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Nah, there supposed to be on an 03 crf450r but the rotor to center and sprocket to center will work on the drz. Axle sizes are just wrong. Besides, they look pretty hanging in the shop, lol.

Interesting. I wonder if you could turn a CR axle, or maybe just find bearings with the right id.

Ya, shiny rims on the wall do lend a certain 'business' to the decor. :thumbsup:

I've got a clock/readerboard and Michelin Tires banner I need to hang in my garage.

• Like 1