Honda is better than Yamaha

I've always ridden Honda, from a QR as a kid to rego CRFX as a big kid

BUT now for something different I bought a yz and what a dick around

New engine, new suspension and still I think it's not as good as a good old CR

What's everyone's thoughts on the difference between makes and models

• Like 1

This could get interesting. Gonna get my popcorn ready.  Not brand biased but prefer yami. In saying that, wouldn't take either bike over my 500exc at the moment

• Like 5

I went from my 08 crf450r to a 2016 yz450f. Hands down I feel the yz is a better bike except for maybe smaller tracks with lots of tight 180 degree turns. Much more power, better suspension, less maintenance cost, very durable.... Honda's have the honda feel of sitting in the bike vs Yamaha on top of the bike feel, both are excellent, Yamaha requires more setup and unlike honda where almost everyone unanimously agrees on sag and such, the Yamaha is full of personal ideas and is all over the board. Everyone is different, but with current models out I feel the best 2 bikes are ktm and Yamaha in every class.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

We have 6 Hondas and 1 Yamaha out in the shed. ;)

In 30 years I have owned a dozen Yamahas and one Honda.   I had the Honda for about 3 months and then decided I wasn't gay and sold it. :D 

• Like 8

I've always ridden Honda, from a QR as a kid to rego CRFX as a big kid
BUT now for something different I bought a yz and what a dick around
New engine, new suspension and still I think it's not as good as a good old CR
What's everyone's thoughts on the difference between makes and models

honda is definitely better than yamaha, but nothing beats a suzuki
  • Like 1

Opinionated topic and il take Yamaha before Honda on everything but, 

i will say in a aircooled 4 stroke shootout, Honda wins for me hands down though. Xr250 is much better than a ttr225/230 or ttr250, and the Xr is much better than the crf230 that took its place.

2 stroke il take Yamaha, and mx bike too. Not saying one is better, just the one I like. Rode a crf450 once, it was good and I wouldn't shy away from on though.

Yammy for me too, had plenty of bikes, side by side, with the perfect touch and set up to both for myself, yammy blows Honda out of the water with no comparison, especially the 250s

• Like 1

Totally depended on what year, what model & what you are doing... I had two Honda bikes, first bike Z50 (faultless for what i did) .Then a cr250r 1991, one owner... also a pretty cool bike. My latest Yamaha has won me over this time. No doubt there are awesome bikes out there that may trump my Yamaha but from what i hear the Blue bikes reliability is probably on top of most bikes. I have also been told by a bike mechanic that Honda is the most common bike he has seen giving trouble at events, this statement from the bike mechanic of an international mx and enduro champion.    

Opinionated topic and il take Yamaha before Honda on everything but, 
i will say in a aircooled 4 stroke shootout, Honda wins for me hands down though. Xr250 is much better than a ttr225/230 or ttr250, and the Xr is much better than the crf230 that took its place.
2 stroke il take Yamaha, and mx bike too. Not saying one is better, just the one I like. Rode a crf450 once, it was good and I wouldn't shy away from on though.

Typically I'm a Honda fan but how would a difficult to kick over xr250 be better than a electric start, 4 valve motor, higher compression piston as found on the ttr250?
  • Like 1

@shrubitup

i suppose that one is an opinion too, maybe I should change it to MY preference is...

are they hard to kick over??I always found mine easy to start,I don't care for a ttr250s heavier weight, or for e-start, not on an xr, neither of them are stall prone. Xr250s are 4 valve as well, so no advantage to ttr there.Xr seems to be more common if you're of its common years 86-on, so I'd assume better part availability, but that may not be the case. Both are reliable. My friend has a ttr230(225?) and I can say the Xr is better than that one in every department except whether you want e-start. Ttr 250 is a different story, that one is much better than the 225/230. So your points could mean a ttr 250 is better for some(maybe most lol).if someone picked it over an xr I'd understand, e-start is a big deal for some.

mines of the 85 twin carb 4 valve "bad" year, also has the smaller chassis. It's a blast for me

• Like 1

[mention=132374]shrubitup[/mention]
i suppose that one is an opinion too, maybe I should change it to MY preference is...
are they hard to kick over??I always found mine easy to start,I don't care for a ttr250s heavier weight, or for e-start, not on an xr, neither of them are stall prone. Xr250s are 4 valve as well, so no advantage to ttr there.Xr seems to be more common if you're of its common years 86-on, so I'd assume better part availability, but that may not be the case. Both are reliable. My friend has a ttr230(225?) and I can say the Xr is better than that one in every department except whether you want e-start. Ttr 250 is a different story, that one is much better than the 225/230. So your points could mean a ttr 250 is better for some(maybe most lol).if someone picked it over an xr I'd understand, e-start is a big deal for some.
mines of the 85 twin carb 4 valve "bad" year, also has the smaller chassis. It's a blast for me

All them xr250s I rode seemed slower and never wanted to start. I could sometimes coax a power wheelie out of the TTR but never an XR. I weigh 250 lbs lol.

@shrubitup

mine starts fine, but I think I've heard of the later ones having some form of a starting issue. The year I own is known for overheating or cooking cam bearings lol. Obviously twin carbs on the 84-85 could have its own drawbacks.

i haven't ridden a ttr250, just the 225/230 and the the 125. But mine only power wheelies in like first, maybe second keep in mind it's the shorter wheelbase, and I'm like 180 lol. The smaller 230 was slow and undersuspended, that one is a 2 valve.

id test ride a ttr250 if given the chance, it probably has a bit more pull than xrs old old designs.I don't see too many of them. Both bikes are still probably a ton of fun. I mostly ride 2 stroke these days, and I'm full of pro 2 stroke koolaid lol:devil:

8 minutes ago, RawbW said:

@shrubitup

mine starts fine, but I think I've heard of the later ones having some form of a starting issue. The year I own is known for overheating or cooking cam bearings lol. Obviously twin carbs on the 84-85 could have its own drawbacks.

i haven't ridden a ttr250, just the 225/230 and the the 125. But mine only power wheelies in like first, maybe second keep in mind it's the shorter wheelbase, and I'm like 180 lol. The smaller 230 was slow and undersuspended, that one is a 2 valve.

id test ride a ttr250 if given the chance, it probably has a bit more pull than xrs old old designs.I don't see too many of them. Both bikes are still probably a ton of fun. I mostly ride 2 stroke these days, and I'm full of pro 2 stroke koolaid lol:devil:

Yes, we all have different bikes of course. Mine range from a CRF450X with a big bore kit :bonk: to a CR125. If I could find another TTR250 at a good price I'd pick it up. Great slow technical trail bike! 

• Like 1

@shrubitup

cr125 at 250lbs?? And I thought I was playing "too heavy" at 180 lol. I REALLY want to ride a 125, I've ridden so much of other bigger bikes but a 125 is supposed to be some prime nirvana. Lazy rider I am not, I don't mind lots of shifting and clutch action. So that's high on my priority list to get next

my favorite bike for slow tech or everything seems to be a gnarly piped with fww'd 250 2t. One day it may be a beta 250 2t:goofy: I really don't want to be an "orange" guy lol too many of those, but a xc250w is one sweet machine!

[mention=132374]shrubitup[/mention]
cr125 at 250lbs?? And I thought I was playing "too heavy" at 180 lol. I REALLY want to ride a 125, I've ridden so much of other bigger bikes but a 125 is supposed to be some prime nirvana. Lazy rider I am not, I don't mind lots of shifting and clutch action. So that's high on my priority list to get next
my favorite bike for slow tech or everything seems to be a gnarly piped with fww'd 250 2t. One day it may be a beta 250 2t:goofy: I really don't want to be an "orange" guy lol too many of those, but a xc250w is one sweet machine!

It is extreme for the poor bike but If the trail is mostly flat then it's pretty fun. Add in technical sections with no run up allowed and I'm crying for my 450X right now!
  • Like 1

@shrubitup

maybe a 150 big bore to give you a little extra boost lol. Poor clutch! But hey, you'll come off a master of the clutch haha. Cmon a 450 would be too easy! Jk

@highmarker

perfection!