Just got my bike from the shop and had the top end rebuilt. Started it up in the parking lot and ran it till it got hot and the engine kind of bogged down and died. When I tried to crank it back up, I could stand on the kickstart and it would budge. The engine had locked up so I took it back in and the technician said it could be that the cam chain tensioner hadnt set yet. He took the side of the motor off and manually tuened the engine over and got it goin after it cooled off. I took it home and rode it for about 20 minites and it never died, but I shut it off to check something and it wouldnt start back up. The shop I had it at said it might also the a worn crankshaft bearing that expands when heated up and keeps the bike from turning over when hot. They said it wasnt covered under the warranty of the work that they just did. Is this true? Whats the process for fixing this and how much would it cost?

That shop is full of shit.  Nothing they told you is plausible.  Sounds like it seized in the parking lot.  Worn crank bearings knock because of excessive clearance, pretty much the opposite of what they're telling you. 

You should do a compression test.  I suspect it will be low due to piston/ring/cylinder damage and possibly tight valves.

• Like 2

You got screwed.  If everything you say is true you need to put the name of the shop up here for everyone to see.  BTW, hard hot starting is usually a sign of too tight valve clearances.

I agree with everything said above. When you say you could stand on the kick starter, and it would not budge, that tells me the piston was seized to the cylinder walls. That engine is not going to last long at all. They are already trying to make excuses for when it fails why they won't be on the hook for it. Sounds like the piston to cylinder wall clearance was not checked. OR, make sure they actually put coolant back in the bike. Maybe they forgot and it over-heated when you had it running?

Either way, TAKE IT BACK RIGHT NOW to the shop and give it back to them and explain that it is not right and you are not accepting the work as complete until the bike runs properly. You need to document that you took the bike back, who you left it with, what time, the date, and everything you will need to present to a judge if it comes to that. Keep paper records, or recorded cell phone video of all transactions at this point in time. If it's legal to do in your state, set your cell phone to record and put it in your breast/chest pocket when you take the bike back.

I'm sorry that this has happened to you, but like the guy above said you are getting screwed.

Exactly as Turbo dan says.. It if it was not seizing up BEFORE they "rebuilt" the top end, then why is it seizing up now? It's because the cylinder, or piston, or rings, they put in are not playing nice with each other. If they did not file fit the rings, the rings could be butting up against each other as the engine gets up to operating temperatures. Likewise, if the piston is not the correct size for the cylinder, it too will seize in the bore as it swells with heat. At this point, the head and cylinder need to come back off and the piston, cylinder, and rings, need to be visually examined as well as everything needs to be measured. Also, if it has no coolant, or is low on coolant, or if the head gasket was not placed properly the engine could be over-heating which will also cause a piston seizure until the engine cools down a little bit and then it will move as normal. Regardless, the bike MUST go back to that shop now and you must force them to fix their mistake. Unless you are not comfortable with them working on it anymore and you just want to call it a loss, write it all off, and start over with another shop.

Please do list the name of the shop. That could save someone else the same headache you are now suffering.

• Like 2

Most likely scenario is that they forgot to put coolant in it after the rebuild.  When they took it back and screwed with it they probably found the mistake and filled it up.  The damage is already done after it seized though. 

Damn!  cant even make it out of the parking lot after their work.

When they fix something or even during a repair, they have some obligation to ensure its going to work and test it. They also should relook at the bike no charge as far as the work they did, cause it really sounds like they f'd it up.

6 hours ago, noacluck said:

Just got my bike from the shop and had the top end rebuilt. Started it up in the parking lot and ran it till it got hot and the engine kind of bogged down and died. When I tried to crank it back up, I could stand on the kickstart and it would budge. The engine had locked up so I took it back in and the technician said it could be that the cam chain tensioner hadnt set yet. He took the side of the motor off and manually tuened the engine over and got it goin after it cooled off. I took it home and rode it for about 20 minites and it never died, but I shut it off to check something and it wouldnt start back up. The shop I had it at said it might also the a worn crankshaft bearing that expands when heated up and keeps the bike from turning over when hot. They said it wasnt covered under the warranty of the work that they just did. Is this true? Whats the process for fixing this and how much would it cost?

This shop needs to go out of business. Talk to a lawyer and discuss Class Action. you can't be the only one this place screwed. Don't give the name out yet because that's part of your leverage at this point in time. Go for 100% reimbursement and take it to another shop. don't sign anything. what a load of crap!

If it never did this before the repair, they caused it, that is all you need to say when you sue them in small claims court. DO NOT let them work on the bike again, take it to another shop and have the first shop pay for the entire repair.