Off road tire of choice

What's everybody using for tires around here? Just moved here from FL and I'm running a Michelin S12 on my KTM 200. A lot of rocky and hard terrain in central Cali. Pretty much smoked it after one ride at Ortega trail! Just want to get an idea of what everyone's using. Off road only! Will not be riding on the streets at all.

My choices:

Soft terrain = fresh irc m5b

Hard terrain = at81rc or worn out m5b

Dual sport = whatever junk I have lying around, or the old mt43 that refuses to die.

• Like 2

B0C76EE6-80AF-4871-B53A-829AAD2961E6_zpskj0psmyr.gif
OH NO ANOTHER TIRE THREAD ON THUMPER TALK OOOHHHHHHHH

• Like 5

Pirelli scorpion pro on frontIRC M5B original on rear.   See the M5B thread for alternates if you can't find any originals. Do not get the IRC M5B EVO, unless you ride not a lot like me, then it will last, but if you ride many miles every weekend, it will wear out much sooner then the original

always heavy duty tubes in both tires to protect against pinch flats on rocks.  12-14 psi in front ( 14 is just about right for rocks and trails riding, 12 for sand)  12 psi in back for every where,  can go to 10-11 in sand.   

consider the tubliss in rear,  then can lower rear pressure even to 6-8, no worries.  Though I still use 11, will try 8 next time. Old habits

Edited by bigbob
  • Like 2

Just to add to what Bob said...  Pirelli Scorpion PRO FIM was built for Europe looooong ago because they have knobby depth/height restrictions for environmental reasons...  It was a shared design with Goldentyre Italy back in the day.  But Goldentyre has since enhanced the line of tires (5th generation now)...  you may have heard of the Goldentyre Fatty...  typically refers to the 90/100-21 version of the tire.  Tread looks similar to the Pirelli Pro but it's a whole other beast...  the front tire to have hands down.  Also available in a 90/90-21 and 80/100-21.  Like Bob said he is enamoured with yester-year.  Goldentyre is the future.

The IRC M5B original appears to be no longer.  You might find some left over inventory if these guys haven't bought them all up.  :lol:

The new version IRC M5B EVO is reported to be just as good... but made with gummy rubber which is all the craze right now.  Wears out quickly and will not survive but a few miles on pavement.  It is still a bad ass tire.  Just gonna cost you more to run them because of the short life

Couple new things...  

The Goldentyre Fatty Rear is out.  GT232N 120/100-18.  Traditional MX knobby design.  Sticky rubber...  great MX and soft to intermediate terrain tire. Desert Racers on them love the grip.  Good for a couple races or 400-500 play riding.  Mileage varies based on your riding style.

The Brand New Re-introduced Goldentyre GT333 is also just out in small qtys.  120/100-18 also should compete well with the 140/80-18 crowd.  Intermediate tire to hold up well and stick to whatever the desert has to offer.  True enduro tire.  Expect to hold it's own against the M5B...  and to out last it if early reports are accurate.

FYI - Technically a 148/80-80 has a total circumference of 364 mm...  a 120/100-18 is 360 mm.  When mounted on the same 2.15 inch rim there is very little difference in total size.  Where the knobs are placed and their design is what makes the M5B the winner that it is. The GT333 was built in that fashion with the knobs placed wider across the carcass.  It's enduro knob design is why it will hold up longer and grap everything in it's path. It is a killer hill climber too...  but M5B may still have an edge there in the looser stuff because of it's paddle like knobbies. 

Can't agree with Bob's high air pressure recommendations though, if you seek traction...  unless you are racing the desert and fast.  But if you are that good you need Bib mousses anyway. Tubliss if you want really low pressures and great traction, at least on the rear.  The weight saving off the wheels alone will improve the bikes handling.  And being able to plug a hole on the trail...  or even ride flat to finish a ride makes Tubliss a serious contender.

Welcome to CA. :thumbsup:

Erik ripping with the GT333

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt
  • Like 6

jeff if I recall you sell stuff? ok I will move up to the goldeneye next time

what pressures?

• Like 1

The Nevada desert shredded my "original" M5B over this weekend. 

I may try one of them fancy fandangled Goldentyres, but I have a few others I'm researching since IRC had to reinvent the wheel......or tire rather.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Just to add to what Bob said...  Pirelli Scorpion PRO FIM was built for Europe looooong ago because they have knobby depth/height restrictions for environmental reasons...  It was a shared design with Goldentyre Italy back in the day.  But Goldentyre has since enhanced the line of tires (5th generation now)...  you may have heard of the Goldentyre Fatty...  typically refers to the 90/100-21 version of the tire.  Tread looks similar to the Pirelli Pro but it's a whole other beast...  the front tire to have hands down.  Also available in a 90/90-21 and 80/100-21.  Like Bob said he is enamoured with yester-year.  Goldentyre is the future.

The IRC M5B original appears to be no longer.  You might find some left over inventory if these guys haven't bought them all up.  :lol:

The new version IRC M5B EVO is reported to be just as good... but made with gummy rubber which is all the craze right now.  Wears out quickly and will not survive but a few miles on pavement.  It is still a bad ass tire.  Just gonna cost you more to run them because of the short life

Couple new things...  

The Goldentyre Fatty Rear is out.  GT232N 120/100-18.  Traditional MX knobby design.  Sticky rubber...  great MX and soft to intermediate terrain tire. Desert Racers on them love the grip.  Good for a couple races or 400-500 play riding.  Mileage varies based on your riding style.

The Brand New Re-introduced Goldentyre GT333 is also just out in small qtys.  120/100-18 also should compete well with the 140/80-18 crowd.  Intermediate tire to hold up well and stick to whatever the desert has to offer.  True enduro tire.  Expect to hold it's own against the M5B...  and to out last it if early reports are accurate.

FYI - Technically a 148/80-80 has a total circumference of 364 mm...  a 120/100-18 is 360 mm.  When mounted on the same 2.15 inch rim there is very little difference in total size.  Where the knobs are placed and their design is what makes the M5B the winner that it is. The GT333 was built in that fashion with the knobs placed wider across the carcass.  It's enduro knob design is why it will hold up longer and grap everything in it's path. It is a killer hill climber too...  but M5B may still have an edge there in the looser stuff because of it's paddle like knobbies. 

Can't agree with Bob's high air pressure recommendations though, if you seek traction...  unless you are racing the desert and fast.  But if you are that good you need Bib mousses anyway. Tubliss if you want really low pressures and great traction, at least on the rear.  The weight saving off the wheels alone will improve the bikes handling.  And being able to plug a hole on the trail...  or even ride flat to finish a ride makes Tubliss a serious contender.

Welcome to CA. :thumbsup:

Erik ripping with the GT333

Is that Wilson Canyon?

On 6/10/2017 at 10:58 AM, mitchb said:

My choices:

Soft terrain = fresh irc m5b

Hard terrain = at81rc or worn out m5b

Dual sport = whatever junk I have lying around, or the old mt43 that refuses to die.

9 hours ago, bigbob said:

always heavy duty tubes in both tires to protect against pinch flats on rocks.  12-14 psi in front ( 14 is just about right for rocks and trails riding, 12 for sand)  12 psi in back for every where,  can go to 10-11 in sand.   

consider the tubliss in rear,  then can lower rear pressure even to 6-8, no worries.  Though I still use 11, will try 8 next time. Old habits

Oh yeah forgot to mention that I run tubliss.

Goldentyre fatty 4ply front at 4-6psi. Or Motoz soft terrain at 7-9psi. 

M5B at 0 to 5 psi. Usually 0. Sometimes -1psi.

AT81RC at 3 psi.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mitchb said:

Goldentyre fatty 4ply front at 4-6psi.

really 4-6 in the front? thats crazy. the 4ply is the stiff carcass right? no issues with punctures?

52 minutes ago, TheW0LF said:

really 4-6 in the front? thats crazy. the 4ply is the stiff carcass right? no issues with punctures?

Those were STIFF and heavy.  Great for desert racing...  but 13 pounds vs the new GEN5 FATTY at 9 pounds....  and those 4-plys are all gone now.  Couldn't get one if I had to.

2 hours ago, Mongo134 said:

The Nevada desert shredded my "original" M5B over this weekend. 

I may try one of them fancy fandangled Goldentyres, but I have a few others I'm researching since IRC had to reinvent the wheel......or tire rather.

I was only able to get my hands on a dozen of the GT333 rears... but should have more in a couple weeks.

If I ran 4-6 in the front with any tire I would be replacing rims with every tire.

10 minutes ago, cobra46 said:

If I ran 4-6 in the front with any tire I would be replacing rims with every tire.

I know a fast guy that races Vegas desert...  did some testing for Tubliss...  believes in 12-14psi in the front with tubes.   Sent him the 4-ply GT Fatty 90/100-21 for testing. He was asked to NOT look at the gauge...  Just start at 10psi and ride.  Then lower the pressure little at a time till it was the best in his opinion.  With that tire he ended up at 4 psi as perfection...  in nasty rocky vegas desert...  and he is fast.

I was running some Pirelli MX32 on my CR500AF...  4 ugly flat spots in the rims on the first ride. Tossed some Bridgestone M403/404s on there and not another dent on the same exact terrain in 5 more rides.  Was it luck ?  :excuseme: 

Every tire is NOT the same. 

On 6/10/2017 at 8:59 AM, lalondo said:

What's everybody using for tires around here? Just moved here from FL and I'm running a Michelin S12 on my KTM 200. A lot of rocky and hard terrain in central Cali. Pretty much smoked it after one ride at Ortega trail! Just want to get an idea of what everyone's using. Off road only! Will not be riding on the streets at all.

Oh you ride a 200, sell it and get a 300.. it's not the tire man ?