Tires Tires TIRES

Anyone that may have some input on this, please respond.        I have a 2013 CRF450R.    The recommended tires are 100/80-21 and 120/80-19.     What if I switched to 100/90-21 and 120/90-19?  I LOVE the look of big chunky tires and have settled on the Maxxcross Desert IT's for my next set.     If I went to the bigger sizes for both front and rear would it cause any problems ?

• Like 1

The "look" of a tire is entirely irrelevant.  Does the tire work for your given riding style and terrain?  That is the only important question.  

• Like 6

Why dont you get an 18" rear wheel. And run a woods tire. It will have a nicer ride and be more forgiving almost everywhere. And tire choice increases

1 hour ago, Btheseven said:

Anyone that may have some input on this, please respond.        I have a 2013 CRF450R.    The recommended tires are 100/80-21 and 120/80-19.     What if I switched to 100/90-21 and 120/90-19?  I LOVE the look of big chunky tires and have settled on the Maxxcross Desert IT's for my next set.     If I went to the bigger sizes for both front and rear would it cause any problems ?

Firstly the only difference in those tires are the height and not the width

100 or 120 is width

80 or 90 is height

Personally the Desert IT's front/back are one of my go to tires mostly cus they are really durable and I can run the back as low as 2 PSI with a UHD tube BUT IMO no one is going to be able to tell you how a tire will work for you so just have to buy them and try them.

• Like 1

Another one buying into the Maxxis hype. :smirk:

Lol.

Im not big on the maxxis stuff. I run a bridgstone m102 rear. But i ride in sandy sort stuff mostly. Or clay dirt.

27 minutes ago, filterx said:

Firstly the only difference in those tires are the height and not the width

100 or 120 is width

80 or 90 is height

Personally the Desert IT's front/back are one of my go to tires mostly cus they are really durable and I can run the back as low as 2 PSI with a UHD tube BUT IMO no one is going to be able to tell you how a tire will work for you so just have to buy them and try them.

No   I'm with you.  No one can tell how a tire will work for me. You are right.        I guess I was just trying to find out if there is any reason why I shouldn't go to the bigger tires.

13 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Another one buying into the Maxxis hype. :smirk:

Yes I have personally not tried Kendas BUT I'm fully aware they can be durable and less expensive than Maxxis but as I said you really need to buy tires and try them out.

Currently I'm trying a Shinko 505 rear and 546 front which are NOT anything like the Desert IT or say a Trackmaster II and I'm liking the rear for the current conditions BUT I know its going to wear fast once I start riding hard/dry/rocky stuff in the next few weeks. Then I hated the front until I dropped the PSI to about 8 PSI but its more durable than the rear.

36 minutes ago, Dieselbeast90 said:

Why dont you get an 18" rear wheel. And run a woods tire. It will have a nicer ride and be more forgiving almost everywhere. And tire choice increases

I've considered it. 

I've considered it. 

I use an 18 all the time. And have a 19 i keep just with a paddle. But ive never ised it. I am definitely not the tire expert here. The only tires i habe ran are irc m5b, bridgstone m102, dunlop mx52, and i had a kenda a long time ago. Bit all of this is kinda irrelevant to your question originally. Short answer is. If it fits it fits lol. But i agree. Mire tire less rim looks good imo also.20170319_211501.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dieselbeast90 said:

I use an 18 all the time. And have a 19 i keep just with a paddle. But ive never ised it. I am definitely not the tire expert here. The only tires i habe ran are irc m5b, bridgstone m102, dunlop mx52, and i had a kenda a long time ago. Bit all of this is kinda irrelevant to your question originally. Short answer is. If it fits it fits lol. But i agree. Mire tire less rim looks good imo also.20170319_211501.jpg

Niiiice!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, filterx said:

Yes I have personally not tried Kendas BUT I'm fully aware they can be durable and less expensive than Maxxis but as I said you really need to buy tires and try them out.

Currently I'm trying a Shinko 505 rear and 546 front which are NOT anything like the Desert IT or say a Trackmaster II and I'm liking the rear for the current conditions BUT I know its going to wear fast once I start riding hard/dry/rocky stuff in the next few weeks. Then I hated the front until I dropped the PSI to about 8 PSI but its more durable than the rear.

Lol, we've been down this same road a hundred times, I couldn't resist. 

Anyway, I think the OP is FL anyway, neither the Maxxis or Kenda desert tires is probably a good choice.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Btheseven said:

Why don't you like Maxxis?

See the above reply to filterx, this is a long standing ribbing about the Maxxis vs the Kenda desert tires. If you really wanted to you could probably find a couple dozen back and forth posts on this subject, lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CDNSXV said:

The "look" of a tire is entirely irrelevant.  Does the tire work for your given riding style and terrain?  That is the only important question.  

I wouldn't have used the word "entirely"     A tire that looks chunky  is "chunky"   It has more rubber sticking out of it to grab things.  Like substrate lol     I do understand what you meant though. Thanks for the input.

8 minutes ago, Btheseven said:

No   I'm with you.  No one can tell how a tire will work for me. You are right.        I guess I was just trying to find out if there is any reason why I shouldn't go to the bigger tires.

So I live in BC Canada and my local trails are the PNW and then I can go other places and ride a HUGE variety of terrain and conditions.

Fast/flowy/slow/technical then wet/snotty/slippery/rooty then dry/hard/rocky.

I am by no means an expert on tires and since I've gotten my 250R in 2010 have really only tried a few makes/models of tires and when it comes down to it there are about 1000 different tires options and not enough $$$ or time to try them all.

For example this is a 19" Maxxis Desert IT vs a Michelin HARD rear that I tried last summer.

20160604_143905.thumb.jpg.c6d44337af2f7a8ea1411e6437cb1238.jpg

Then I just put a 18" rim on and heres some pics I took today of the Shinko 90/100/21 front and 110/100/18 rear.

20170610_115904.thumb.jpg.d8cd3c2ab562fe78733a5dc4c8e9bcdd.jpg20170610_115834.thumb.jpg.bd511ab1bb0a31860077a3fbd52d4083.jpg20170610_115851.thumb.jpg.b9616d3c0eba53dc6f29810412176b67.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Lol, we've been down this same road a hundred times, I couldn't resist. 

Anyway, I think the OP is FL anyway, neither the Maxxis or Kenda desert tires us probably a good choice.

Has there been a lot discussed here regarding tire dimensions?  That was really my main focus.  I threw the Desert IT's in there as a sideline interest.  I realize this entire post could get led into the tire brand thing though.   If it does it was not my fault.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

See the above reply to filterx, this is a long standing ribbing about the Maxxis vs the Kenda desert tires. If you really wanted to you could probably find a couple dozen back and forth posts on this subject, lol.

:)

Just now, Btheseven said:

Has there been a lot discussed here regarding tire dimensions?  That was really my main focus.  I threw the Desert IT's in there as a sideline interest.  I realize this entire post could get led into the tire brand thing though.   If it does it was not my fault.

Sorry I meant to post this which gives you a good idea

https://www.denniskirk.com/learn/tire-sizes-explained

• Like 1