00 CR250 rear wheel conundrum

I'm sure im not the only person who has asked this question but after researching the other wheel posts my questions weren't answered. I'll start by acknowledging, paramedic... not paramechanic.

I have 2000 CR250R, my rear wheel had loose / bent spokes, I drove over an hour and snagged a craigslist wheel off of 2002, it came with axle and one axle block.

02 wheel, bearings are dust seals too narrow for my wheel collars so I mod'd them to accept the 00 collars. The 00 axle is too wide in diameter to fit thru bearings and the 02 axle doesn't match in length.

I purchased wheel bearings that should fit 00-07 but before I punch the other bearings out of the 02 wheel (which I got ahead of myself and mounted the tire on already) I wanted to check for some insight.

Alternatively I considered robbing peter(02 wheel) of his spokes and paying paul (00 wheel) but am terrible at spoke lacing also not positive you can reuse spokes.

Parts in bullpen:

95: axle / blocks / wheel / collars

00: axle / blocks/ wheel / collars

02: axle / block / wheel

2000 axle is the same as the 2002 regarding the width, the length might be different. The overall hub width should be the same, meaning you can put a 2000 wheel on a new SA or a newer wheel on a 2000 SA. I thought the only difference in the hubs was the brake rotor pattern.

94' to roughly 06' Hubs are the same for all full size Honda's. I changed bearing sizes, seals, and axels  in  01' - 02' and 97' wheels between 250's and 500's, Then turned my own spacers. Pretty safe mix and match.

5 hours ago, metalfan220 said:

update, after further review
first two images are the 02 "cr rim" which is an excel, and the 00 original hub.

IMG_7518.JPG

19" x 1.85 ,, rear wheel CR250 ? ? ? ?

Just now, 87' CR 5003 said:

Yep. 250.

Should be 2.15 width for a CR250 ,, I would think ,, that is 125 size or below ,, just sayin !! I am building a wheel just now, hence my interest in this post ,, Honda Mechanic ,, just replace the broken spokes and get the rim tightened up again ,, Yu can buy single spokes and Lacing a Motorcycle rim is not so hard ,, Hardest part would be getting the  Dirty Nipples to come off easy enough without damage so you can reuse them ,, complete Spoke and Nipple sets can be expensive on a budget meal ,,  OEM suppliers on I-net will sell single spokes ,, I just got a complete set of nipples from Buchanan Spokes ,, But Don't "guess" what model spokes will fit ,, You need to know exactly what you are replacing !!

Edited by Scrammer
  • Like 1

Something is not adding up.

first, it looks like your rear rim on your "02" wheel is the oem. Cr250s never came with a 1.85 width rim. 

2nd, all 00-07 cr125/250s had same wheel bearings, seals. So even it was a 125 wheel you bought, itd still bolt up. 

They even shared the same axle. Only difference was the actual axle blocks. Like seanmx said, only diff in a 00 hub vs 02 is the brake rotor bolts. 00-01 had 90 up shouldered 8mm bolt, 02 up had a 6mm bolt with nut on back.

If your new wheel has a smaller axle, it must be a 99 down wheel, because to install a 02 up rear wheel on a 2000 is remove and replace. 

• Like 2

Heres something. 

On new wheel. What Hardware holds the rotor on? Is there a nut on backside?

Also, what size were the dust seals on the new hub? 95-99 had a different size seal on each side,  00 up were same.

look on seal, you will have 3 numbers.

38 minutes ago, Byron909 said:

first, it looks like your rear rim on your "02" wheel is the oem. Cr250s never came with a 1.85 width rim. 

2nd, all 00-07 cr125/250s had same wheel bearings, seals. So even it was a 125 wheel you bought, itd still bolt up. 

They even shared the same axle. Only difference was the actual axle blocks. Like seanmx said, only diff in a 00 hub vs 02 is the brake rotor bolts. 00-01 had 90 up shouldered 8mm bolt, 02 up had a 6mm bolt with nut on back.

If your new wheel has a smaller axle, it must be a 99 down wheel, because to install a 02 up rear wheel on a 2000 is remove and replace. 

Apologize, I missed that, was doing 3 things at the same time.

38 minutes ago, Byron909 said:

Apologize, I missed that, was doing 3 things at the same time.