New member here with a crf230f

I have been lurking around here for quite a while now.  I have already found most of my answers here about my bike before even becoming a member so thank you all for that.  

I recently moved to a new house and now have access to many trails right out back so I decided to get myself a dirtbike.  I have always owned street bikes but had never even been on a dirtbike before.  I found a very nice TTR250 and quickly realized the bike was just too big for me to enjoy it much on the tight trails I have access to (I'm in Maine).  I'm 6 feet tall and I could hardly touch my toes on the ground.   After seeing FrickinJims review of the "slow" crf230 I decided I needed one.  Sold the ttr and found a 2007 crf230f in decent shape for a nice price though the previous owner could have used a lesson or two in the maintenence department... I bought it from a woman and supposedly she was only the second owner (the first owner was a woman as well).  The crf230f for me, is the perfect size bike just to get out in the woods and have fun on.  This is what I have done to the bike so far to make it right:

fresh oil change

new spark plug

new fork seals/oil

new chain and sprockets

new front brake pads/fluid (the old pads were drenched with fork oil from the leaking forks)

new rear brake shoes (should be here monday)

new air filter/ removed the airbox snorkel

pro circuit t4 exhaust (stock exhaust was rusted badly and had a hole in it)

120 main jet, 45 pilot jet, '03-'05 needle on 4th position

checked float height and confirmed it with the clear tube method mentioned here

tires are nearly new so I will just run them for now.  The rear tire is a 110/100 18 (dunlop k675 I think?) and it looks like it may rub my exhaust.  If it does I will try a new stock sized tire.

I have probably missed something but I've done everything possible that I can think of to make sure this will be a good running bike.  I just received the motion pro tool to adjust the fuel screw on the carb.  It does seem a little rich as it will usually start right up without the choke and at most needs half choke to start.  When I get the rear brake together so I can put the rear tire on I will try adjusting the fuel screw and see if that just needs an adjustment.

I do have one question if anyone can help me.  I ordered the 120 main and 45 pilot jets with my exhaust from Rocky Mountain ATV  and they are Pro X keihin jets.  Just wondering if these run a little larger than real keihin jets (I've read here somewhere that different brand jets are sized differently)?  If so that would explain why the bike seems to be rich)  I should probably wait before I can ride it before I do any more tweaking to the carb but any advice is surely welcome!  Thanks!

OK, with keihin, the jet sizes are in milimeters.  A120 orifice is 1.20mm and a 45 is .45mm. The differensce in diameter between a 42 & 45 is less than one thousandth of an inch.  If you receive a 45 that is not .45mm, it is defective merchandise, plain and simple. 

Thank you for the explanation Baja Rambler.  I think I read on TT somewhere that one of the member was having a hell of a time trying to re jet his crf carb and it was because he was using some mikuni jets and some keihin?  I should be good then since the Pro x jets I received are advertised as keihin, thanks!

Can anyone recommend a set of feeler gauges and a valve adjustment tool that work well on the crf?  I have some gauges but they are the short straight kind and I don't think they will even reach.

12 minutes ago, jjmaine said:

Thank you for the explanation Baja Rambler.  I think I read on TT somewhere that one of the member was having a hell of a time trying to re jet his crf carb and it was because he was using some mikuni jets and some keihin?  I should be good then since the Pro x jets I received are advertised as keihin, thanks!

Can anyone recommend a set of feeler gauges and a valve adjustment tool that work well on the crf?  I have some gauges but they are the short straight kind and I don't think they will even reach.

There's a recent thread on the tappet tool.. https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1230698-tappet-adjusting-tool/#comment-13761171

Be careful with aftermarket keihin jets, some sellers would try to lead you to believe the defective merchandise is your fault because you didn't order genuine keihin jets.. They only accept paypal.

• Like 1

Thanks again Baja Rambler for the heads up on the jets and the link for the tappet tool.  I will check it out for sure.  And if I find myself starting to chase my tail with the jetting I will just find some genuine keihin jets. 

Here she is in her current state, just waiting for some rear brakes....  I'm going to take the polisport headlight off it was never hooked up completely.  I guess it needed a wire from the switch to the bulb but since I wont be riding at night I bought a stock number plate.  And I didn't like the idea of always having live wires hanging off my bike since they had it wired directly to the battery.  I had to order the cdi mounting bracket because they just had it zip tied to the frame.  Plastics are a little beat up but none are broken, those are the least of my worries for now... Maybe later on I will replace them all.  I'm guessing from all I have read, the next upgrade I'll want to make is to the suspension.   I did use 15 weight fork oil so that should help the front a little but the rear is awfully soft.  I'll be looking at different options to improve it in the near future.  Need to grab some seal savers as well.

I also picked up another great tip on here.  A member posted a great way to get rid of the ridiculous seat bolts under the rear fender and replace them with clevis pins which can be removed quickly in the woods if need be.  I forgot again who mentioned it but thank you!  My hardware store only had these long ones but I will just cut them down to the size that works.  I did forget to get washers for them though.

20170610_165136.jpg

20170607_144421.jpg

20170610_165420.jpg

Edited by jjmaine
  • Like 1

it is a great idea, makes you wonder why honda never thought of it.  Another thing I plan on doing is using M-6 wing screws to hold the side plastics on.  I got the idea from a member on the ttr forum in the very short time I had my ttr250.  It made it super quick and easy to take the side panels off without tools.  I'm new to the off road stuff so I have been having fun learning all the tricks.

• Like 2

When I bought my first  two 230s. One had no seat bolts they where missing I trucked bike on Calif freeway to Baja 7 hours. Rode bike off road for a week did not know no seat bolts. My other 230 I decided to pull seat to remove gas tank. What  a pain in the ass to deal with the two bolts nuts. I threw them as far away as I could replaced with the pins. Joke on me other 230 had no seat bolts proving you dont even need the pins . Good idea so no one steels your seat.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jjmaine said:

it is a great idea, makes you wonder why honda never thought of it.  Another thing I plan on doing is using M-6 wing screws to hold the side plastics on.  I got the idea from a member on the ttr forum in the very short time I had my ttr250.  It made it super quick and easy to take the side panels off without tools.  I'm new to the off road stuff so I have been having fun learning all the tricks.

Please tell more on M-6 wing screws side plastics another great idea.

Thanks bajatrailrider for the great mod I'll be tossing the seat pins off my bike today. 

Well, the ttr250 has a nuts welded to the frame where the bolts/screws go to hold the side plastics on so I threaded an M6 bolt from the inside out so I could just use a wing nut to hold my plastics on.  It made it alot quicker to gain access to the airbox or battery (this isn't my idea, I found it on the ttr forum).  So my thinking is, instead of threading a bolt in to use a wing nut on the outside why not just use a wing head bolt to hold the side plastics on?  Finger tight should be enough to keep them from rattling out I would think?  I think the crf uses M6 size bolts for the plastics, same as the ttr?  I'll pick some wing bolts up one day this week on my way home from work and take a picture as well.

download (1).jpg

Edited by jjmaine
added photo
  • Like 1

Back brakes came in the mail today so after work I put the rear wheel and chain on to take it for a quick spin.  It does seem to pull well so far(I only got as far as 3rd gear)  but I noticed a slight stumble when opening the throttle quickly.  When I rolled on the throttle gradually there were no problems.  The bike seemed to me to heat up very quickly but it is over 80 degrees out and I don't have much experience with air cooled bikes to know how hot they should get. 

When I got off the bike I put the choke on halfway and the stumble disappeared and it revved perfectly no matter how fast I opened the throttle.  I tried full choke and the bike immediately stalled.  Just a little lean then?

Do you think this can be adjusted out by just using the fuel screw or should I step up to a 48 pilot jet?  I am using pro x jets now (they are allegedly kehin sizes) so I'm thinking about just ordering some genuine keihin jets so I don't have to worry if the pro x's are correct.  

Currently using:

120 main

45 pilot

'03-'05 needle w/ the clip on 2nd position from bottom

and the fuel screw is 1.5 turns out

I ordered the tappet adjusting tool and an .004 motion pro feeler gauge so when them get here I'll have to take the tank off anyway and may as well pull the carb and replace the jets.

20170612_160733.jpg