Finally in Costa Rica and a neutral question.

Finally street legal in CR and enjoying not having to use taxis. 

Loving the Emig/CRF450 suspension more and more, and riding last night in a torintial rain storm was thankful for the aux LEDs. 

I can't get her into neutral while the engine is running to save my life. Turn her off and she goes into neutral slicker than snot. Only 1,900 miles on a 2012. 

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

Too thick of oil can cause it as well as worn oil. Simplest thing to do is shift into neutral before you come to a complete stop.

25 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

Too thick of oil can cause it as well as worn oil. Simplest thing to do is shift into neutral before you come to a complete stop.

Thanks, the oil is new Honda 10W-40. I'll try shifting into neutral before stopping. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Todd00000 said:

Thanks, the oil is new Honda 10W-40. I'll try shifting into neutral before stopping. 

I usually go down into neutral right from second gear as I'm stopping.

• Like 1

I find, when this happens, clutch cable needs adjustment or the plates are too worn.

You must have one of the bigger bikes in the country.  I don't remember seeing too many motorcycles over 200cc the last time I was there.  Riding an XR650 around Costa Rica must be wonderful.

My XR650L doesn't always want to go into neutral.  Other than finding neutral right before you stop, you can also try letting the clutch out just enough that it starts to pull a little bit, then go for neutral when you pull the clutch back in.  One way or the other, I can usuallly find neutral after three or four tries if I don't get it right away.

4 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

:facepalm: Three or four tries ?  :lol:

It's rare that I miss it, but my point is that sometimes it takes more than once to find it.

I wish I had a slick shifting bike like yours, but mine probably has something bent in there and is much stiffer shifting than other XR650's that I've ridden.  I just learn to live with it.

6 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

Shift into neutral before you come to a complete stop , it works EVERY time.

That worked every time on my Ducati ST2 that rarely wanted to go into neutral when stopped.  Doesn't work every time on my XR.  Nine out of ten, sure, but not every time.  Like I said, I think something is bent in there making it stiff shifting.  Next time I have a reason to open up the engine (which hopefully is never), I'll go through the whole shifting mechanism and get it fixed.

• Like 1

Pura Vida! Congrats on getting your way through the RTV/CONSEVI government maze!   It sounds like you have been here at least a little while, but if you need any suggestions for good motorcycle shops/mechanics in the central valley area let me know.  And if you are gonna stick around a while I can add you in an enduro/adventure riding group on FB of about 600 guys.  There is always a ride going on somewhere and usually at least one person on each ride who speaks English if that's an issue. Plus there are quite a few XL owners and they can probably help you out with anything specific to your bike.  But best of all they know all the roads, shortcuts and moto-friendly landowners to access the best trails.  Anything you need bro, just say the word!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ScottRNelson said:

You must have one of the bigger bikes in the country.  I don't remember seeing too many motorcycles over 200cc the last time I was there.  Riding an XR650 around Costa Rica must be wonderful.

My XR650L doesn't always want to go into neutral.  Other than finding neutral right before you stop, you can also try letting the clutch out just enough that it starts to pull a little bit, then go for neutral when you pull the clutch back in.  One way or the other, I can usuallly find neutral after three or four tries if I don't get it right away.

Yeah, 150cc is the norm, I have two Gringo friends with XR650s and I've seen one local with one.

I tried going into neutral while moving and that worked much better. 

I'd like to get a street legal CRF250R, easy to do here, and then keep 80/20s on the XR. 

1 hour ago, CostaRicaThumper said:

Pura Vida! Congrats on getting your way through the RTV/CONSEVI government maze!   It sounds like you have been here at least a little while, but if you need any suggestions for good motorcycle shops/mechanics in the central valley area let me know.  And if you are gonna stick around a while I can add you in an enduro/adventure riding group on FB of about 600 guys.  There is always a ride going on somewhere and usually at least one person on each ride who speaks English if that's an issue. Plus there are quite a few XL owners and they can probably help you out with anything specific to your bike.  But best of all they know all the roads, shortcuts and moto-friendly landowners to access the best trails.  Anything you need bro, just say the word!

Yes please add me, what is your FB name, I'll add you as a Freind. I'm renting an apartment in San Isidro, my friend and landlord has an ZR650L and the Honda shop is two blocks down the road. My Marchamo is only $120 a year. 

• Like 1

Most common causes of clutch issues, grabbing, draging with clutch lever pulled in, not shifting while statiuonary.

Check the cable is adjusted correctly with a small amount of free play. If the clutch cable cannot be adjusted to work well including the free play, the clutch pack needs replacing.

If the clutch basket has notches worn in the drive area, between the clutch plates & basket, or between the drive hub & clutch plates, the plates will not seperate correctly when the lever is pulled, thus meaning the bike will drag & not shift correctly... as though you are changing gear or shifting to neutral with the clutch lever pulled but the pack still engauged. (Very common wear on older bikes or bikes with high kms/miles).

Clutch basket/hub simple repair... (generally the most wear occures on the basket & this can be filed flat again to alloy the plates to move, the hub is harder to run a file through & would generally need replacing if its badly worn).

As mentioned previously... Oil! Not only Grade of oil, but also synthetic vs mineral oil. I have replced clutches in two bikes due to "clonking into first and draging foward while clutch is pulled" in these two cases, the new clutch has not fixed it. I then switched back to mineral 4 stroke motorcycle oil opposed to synthetic "race spec 4 stroke motorcycle oil" and it was fixed straight away. One bike was 2007 klx300 the other 07 kx250f.

Edited by surfez