Advice please - mechanical problem

Hi,

Sorry, I know some forums don't like newbies jumping in and asking for advice but I've been told you are the best place to ask. I've scoured the internet trying to find a solution and can't find a definitive answer.

I've got an '02 DRZ400S. A while back I noticed then when I cracked the throttle open hard in the wet, it sounded like the wheel was spinning and I would lose drive. I just figured the wheel was spinning. Then I noticed it in the dry and that it had started making a noise, so I suspected that the chain might be slipping. Over the next couple of trips, the problems got worse, with me not having to open the throttle as hard for the slipping to start and the bike sounding like there was a bag of bolts on the right hand side of the engine. I figured I needed to look at it, but before I could it got suddenly worse and I only just managed to limp home from work, hardly opening the throttle at all. Now whenever I even start the bike, I get the same bag of bolts sound from the R/H side of the engine (so I am not starting it!).

I had a suspicion that this might be the stator bolts but from what I have seen that would be the L/H side?

Has anyone had similar symptoms before and could you advise what it might be? I'm looking to sell the DRZ so an trying to decide whether I'd be best to repair it or sell it to someone who would know how to fix it and drop the asking price.

Appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer.

Woods

The loss of traction/drive you are describing is clutch wear. Not the cable, but the friction plates. Time for a clutch kit. The banging could be the worn plates rattling....or something completely unrelated. You're gonna have to open it up for the clutch, so hopefully it reveals itself. 

The clutch basket itself could be banging or the drive gears could be worn or even broken. If that's the case this is an expensive problem. 

Edited by Gary in NJ
  • Like 1

Thanks Gary!

I knew I'd have to take it apart at some point but at least I know where to start looking now.

Before you just buy parts, you need to measure the existing parts. Spring free length, fiber thickness and condition of the steels. also be aware of the assembly order, the last two plates are unique.

You didn't state if you found serious wear on either of the drive sprockets, after suspecting this?

Probably not the problem, but make sure your clutch cable is adjusted properly. Is there a tiny bit of free play when the lever is at rest?