Rocking n Reeling Georgetown East Side - !!!

so I get there early, forgot my camel back. :facepalm:     and then my bike will not start. plenty of battery, just no start  very weird.    Cobra Kevin shows up with a friend Sean and I am thinking glad he has a buddy so they can ride with out me, but Sean says disconnect the battery.. on my Berg. So we do that wait 10 mins and reconnect the battery and it starts!!   and one other guy shows up,  a Yamaha yz 250 FX guy

I am stoked, the dirt is perfect.  They are stoked cause I know the trail system so well.  We head out to the EASTSIDE.   down 9  what a old crank ho that trail has become,  rocky and ugly like some old woman who accuses you of sexual harassment , and you are like no way would I ever do you hag. that's how bad the trail has become.   So ok get to the eastside, and we take Rincon,  Oh shit I heard it was beat up from the enduros.  Great trail, but there about six or so messed up dug out Rock bear step ups.  I was almost disappointed,  The guys helped me out of two jams.      Now Wondering if Trestles is bad too?    No way Trestles is F'ing awesome.  ? Now we are having FUN FUN FUN :ride:   now we start rocking and reeling,   do all of trestles, then do all the 5's  and the 5's are perfect!!!

conditions are A1.  So I tell the guys, we gotta go up 1 to bald mountain. I knew it would be good.   It was home cooking awesome.  At the top of Bald Mountain we break, it was cool, nice breeze.  No one is out.  WE had it to ourselves.       Now down the other trail 1, we skip Slyko's favorite goat trail.  the Yamaha guy said Superslyko took him on the goat trail once.  I said Slyko only likes that trail, because I hate that dam bike overheat pig goat trail so much  :thumbsdn:

down 8 and up a rocky 3-1 to our trucks.     A good like 4 hour half day ride.  we took several breaks,  It was so fun.   I feel really good now. :cool:  THANK YOU Cobra and others.

IMG_5602.JPG.be2f493d8591f590e3ef2000e5a78b92.JPG

IMG_5604.JPG.f8fbb66f088b20f923242aa65b3276b7.JPG

IMG_5605.JPG.3a89e358e9b07f7a234c506c568b16a8.JPG

IMG_5606.JPG.6249ce9996c3181f31dce1d8f45e3b6a.JPG

IMG_5608.JPG.2dec20c07711f572f151f68977243d55.JPG

Edited by bigbob
  • Like 4

I didn't think the rain made too much difference.. Some dampness in the canyons.. I got to Mace at 9:30 plenty of cars and some mountain bike event. Did mace Mill loop clockwise then 1 to 8 to 9 all of 4 to 6/6-1 loop back to 5 corners then 5 to rock lobster to 1-6 then 1-2 cross the bridge to Darlin Ridge and back to Mace. Did not see a single bike all day... no shit... Might as well been a weekday ride. :ride:

Saw some MTB signs. Looks like it was a self timed downhill deal in stages. Down Rock Lobster then left on 1-6 to the road was a stage. 

No pictures this time. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bigbob said:

next time it's gonna be west side to deep water, up crawdaddy, float over to and up rock lobster, the flume trail, the 5's and the 4's back  .... curious about the connector to loop 6 if its fixed and ready

Going up the west side of Rock Lobster is pretty evil. There's clearly a beat-in preferred line. The east side of the hill has been recently graded. It used to have an evil trench that is gone now. I just did Rock Lobster as a variation, I like the Flume better. Trail 4 and 5 are favorites. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DrKayak said:

Going up the west side of Rock Lobster is pretty evil. There's clearly a beat-in preferred line. The east side of the hill has been recently graded. It used to have an evil trench that is gone now. I just did Rock Lobster as a variation, I like the Flume better. Trail 4 and 5 are favorites. 

ok good advice to avoid poor trail sections. It's been 6 years since I did any eastside trails, and shit changes and some medium tough sections can get awful. Yet I did see some ground concrete brick laid down in over previous bad spots.  Good to know the USFS has fixed some bad spots.  I don't need to find the new ones if can help it.  :(

Still I was happy to see many trails are still very good, ?  not much changed over 15 years of riding there.  So that is promising for more good GT rides, now that I am an old broken down has been.     shit I even looked younger in 2011, the last time I rode eastside, back then I could do it all but never liked the 'oh no not you again" slate mountain slate down hill trail.  Did it twice, did an endo twice.  No More.

100_0495.JPG

GT 044.jpg

yup back in the day, I knew GT so well, even though I was passed many times by real enduro riders in the Foold Gold in 2006, 11 years ago now, in my only full enduro of 92 F'ing miles:rant:     It was in the deep water and rocky climb out trail after the deep water crossing ( now gone to a bridge) , that I passed all the other riders.   You can't see it here, but I was passing riders in the deep water.  Only time on the whole 92 miles I passed any one.  ?

feb old pic086 (2).jpg

Edited by bigbob
  • Like 1

the 7's are the slate mountain trails.  Cobra wass over there the week before on a dual sport ride. It takes road and fire road to get there from 4 corners where the 5's are.   Very seldom do GT riders bother going over there.    The "Oh No Not You Again"  downhill slate rock trail is there and the one I endo'd on twice.  Did it enough, thank you.   The other 7's are some woods trails, but the main event is the Oh No NoT You Again trail.  I use to have a photo of part of it. 

Oh no, not you again
Frucking up my life
It was bad the first time
I can't stand it twice
Oh no, not you again
I can't stand your face
Once bitten, twice shy
Get me out of the race   -
The Rolling Stones

14377_thumbnail-GT 1024.jpg

Edited by bigbob
  • Like 1

Norcalride has a great story about riding with me at Georgetown.

Not a big surprise.  He almost killed me! ?

Now that I think of it, he was just getting back at me for the time he hit that tree.................. knocked himself out..................... and I forced him to keep riding! ?

Then there was the time I went down "Oh, not you again!?" & then hit about 4 downed trees in that section at the end.  I was alone, no saw, and it took me about 4 hours to get 50 yards.  Going back up that trail was a breeze!

DrKayak, tell us all that story about riding that trail on your Trials Bike. ?  There's also something about a bear in that area. ? And don't tell anybody about the Flume.  It'll get blown out if they know.  Show that picture of your bike upside down so they know what they're getting into.

IMG_5614.JPG

When Steven hit that same root & cleared it with a simple hop, he was soooooooooooooo happy.  Looks like you're doing it too! :D

BB I like that map!  Switchbacks of Death?  That ain't it!  Close but no cigar!  That trail is now closed.  It's so washed out now it is impassable.  The trail you have marked is tough going up, but it does not compare with the REAL switchbacks of death. ? Show 'em all something important!  Collarbone Alley.

All this to say........................................... I'm envious of you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Steven came home with a Wild Idea about fishing again!  I had to lecture him about that damn Yamaha.  I WANNA RIDE! I rank fishing up there with watching paint dry, or grass grow.

Edited by superslyko
  • Like 1

Look at that smile! :D

I should show him this thread.  If this doesn't get him motivated, nothing will.

100_0495.JPG

And Bob, THAT'S my photo.  NOBODY has faces and smiles like my handy work.   I want some kudos!  ?

Edited by superslyko
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bigbob said:

the 7's are the slate mountain trails.  Cobra wass over there the week before on a dual sport ride. It takes road and fire road to get there from 4 corners where the 5's are.   Very seldom do GT riders bother going over there.    The "Oh No Not You Again"  downhill slate rock trail is there and the one I endo'd on twice.  Did it enough, thank you.   The other 7's are some woods trails, but the main event is the Oh No NoT You Again trail.  I use to have a photo of part of it. 

Oh no, not you again
Frucking up my life
It was bad the first time
I can't stand it twice
Oh no, not you again
I can't stand your face
Once bitten, twice shy
Get me out of the race   -
The Rolling Stones

14377_thumbnail-GT 1024.jpg

Hmm I always add up 7 to slate in my loop, I get a long break up top waiting for everyone else ?