yz250fx Handle bar mount position + proper riding position?

Hello looking for some insight. I have a 2015 yz250fx and on the top clamp you got 3 different option for bar position. Either behind fork, inline fork, or ahead of fork. Now I don't have much experience dirtbiking. Rode downhill mtbs for a long time. My question has to do with comfort/bad habit forming vs learning proper riding habits. I'm 5'11 and at the moment I have the bars in position ahead of the forks. Now I don't have the experience to really tell the difference in how it affects my positioning. Right now sometimes it feels as if the bike does what it wants and I'm just for the ride. I feel like I'm always behind the bike. Anyone willing to lend a hand with how you think the bar position would affect body position?  

There are a lot of things you can adjust with your bars (for free) and IMO yes it effects how the bike handles.

Here's a pic of my set-up on my CRF and I'm 5-11 and the bars are CR-HI's

bars.jpg.a50c1faa6a5084e52548176a5ee46aa1.jpg

1 - this shows my bar clamp position which I believe you can rotate 180 DEG

2 - this shows my forks raised up to the 5MM mark

3 - this shows I have my bars rotated forward.

When you want to play with your set-up, leave all the levers slightly loose so you can rotate them forward/back while testing how the bars etc feel.

IMO with setup works for me riding fast flowy and slow/tight/technical single track

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/10/2017 at 8:30 PM, utsikt said:

Now I don't have much experience dirtbiking. Rode downhill mtbs for a long time.

Well that downhill position is pretty similar to an attack position and if going fast that is how you'd like to position yourself on the bike. When new to dirtbiking you could also first try to balance slow and move loosely about your bike. Slow practice makes fast riding possible 

On 6/10/2017 at 8:30 PM, utsikt said:

Hello looking for some insight. I have a 2015 yz250fx and on the top clamp you got 3 different option for bar position. Either behind fork, inline fork, or ahead of fork. Now I don't have much experience dirtbiking. Rode downhill mtbs for a long time. My question has to do with comfort/bad habit forming vs learning proper riding habits. I'm 5'11 and at the moment I have the bars in position ahead of the forks. Now I don't have the experience to really tell the difference in how it affects my positioning. Right now sometimes it feels as if the bike does what it wants and I'm just for the ride. I feel like I'm always behind the bike. Anyone willing to lend a hand with how you think the bar position would affect body position?  

Bars in front of fork will give you better control and feel at slower speeds but makes the bike twitchy at high speed (this is how I have my bike setup). It is not really comfortable but if you're into technical riding it works well. I threw a steering damper on to keep it in check at speed. This bar position lends itself to being in the attack position which is also not comfortable but gives you the most control. Start moving the bars back and you'll gain stability at speed but you'll loose some control at slow speed. Moving the bars back also starts to put you more upright on the bike which changes the center of gravity of bike & rider and makes the attack position a bit less aggressive. 

Basically it all comes down to your goals for riding. If you're a casual rider who just wants to have some fun and cruise around some mild trails, usually right over the forks is fine. If you want to progress your riding in tech trails, keep the bars forward and just be careful going fast (or get a damper). Those are like the general guidelines for bar position, ultimately it comes down to you experimenting with different positions and finding what suites you best. When you're trying different things, try them for a handful of rides, don't change stuff every 10 min unless its just unbearably bad.

As far as feeling like you're always behind the bike, this is often caused by the rider being too upright and supporting themselves with their arms instead of their feet. You want light hands and heavy feet, you want the bike pushing you by the feet and not pulling you by the arms. Keep knees bent, ass in the air, head over the forks, elbows up. It can also help to pinch the bike with your knees on acceleration. 

• Like 1