Kenda tyres

Well Beta people who runs Kenda tyres. Looking at trying a set in a race in a few weeks. Terrain is sandy loam with patches of clay its all wet so softish. What model tyre would you use and why ? The course does have some rocks but not too much and some gravel the tyre must not clog with mud. 

Give you and idea used Bridstone x20 and x30 loved them both now its wet the x20 is better, tried a set of Dunlop 3s's YUCK wore quick and not predictable. Michelin too $$$ I think but I do like them. BTW I run mousses. 

Cheers

MM 

The Kenda Big Blocks are really hard to beat! Mine have about 2000 miles on them and the rear is finally almost wore out. They work good on everything from pavement to deep sand and rocks. Even do well in rain and slippery mud!

IMG_1384.JPG.98561b522a16cb094317436fc75948f7.JPGIMG_2498.JPG.b160d741d95903b8d8c434e92a22cc2e.JPG

Cheers Chris but I think we have different applications and expectations for our tyres, I put a new set on every 500k's or so at max. Every State enduro round I fit new tyres which is once every 3-4 weeks here. 

MM 

Edited by MartyMOOSE
  • Like 1

HA HA!! As good as the big blocks are, I figured you had something else in mind. Well then there is always this one:

IMG_2455.JPG.e087f43a21f26ca43f744a8b9f1b7e1f.JPG

Sorry I don't have a review on it yet. I just pulled off my well worn Kenda Equilibrium and put this new IBEX on. The Equilibrium was a really good tire and had excellent traction. Unfortunately the sidewalls were very flimsy and it tended to get squirrely in the corners and whoops when pushing it hard at low pressures.

Right now this new IBEX is the hot seller. I saw it side by side with the cheapo Chinko Cheater competition.. Just a little more in cost and lot more performance. It also feels much lighter than the Chinko. The knobs are soft well spaced. I saw a well worn one on my buddies bike. It really seems to last and no chunking. He says it still gets really good traction even with the knobs half worn. Also looks like it will be a good sand tire. I can't wait to try mine out!

IMG_2455.JPG.e087f43a21f26ca43f744a8b9f1b7e1f.JPG

The only good experience I have with front Kendas other than the Big Block are the 760 Trackmasters. Those are a really great tire in the rocks and sand. Very predictable everywhere. 

post-359855-0-38772800-1379283968.jpg.a4beaae15fb4e9dd0d62bf84e4423ec0.jpg

For the Beta I still have my set of X30's mounted on my off road wheelset. Nothing more than having to regroove the rear to get a few more rides. These bridgestones are really hard to beat. It's good to know you are liking yours as well.

IMG_1686.JPG.24698dbd82d394737fda38d1b24dfa9e.JPG

The Kenda 270 turned out to be a horrible tire. Lasted about 2 rides and started falling apart.

100_3663.thumb.JPG.79266a1ca2544a5fbfe4bdb8818c249b.JPG

Right now on my 300 I have that Golden "fatty". It's not bad but in all honesty, I like the Bridgestone X30 front tire better.

• Like 2

I ran the Bridgestone 403 404 for a while, liked them a lot. Then tried the x30 and x40 which are just as good.
Then on a whim bought a pair of Pirelli m16s, and I have to say the best tires I have ever had. Rear knobs rounded about the same as the time as the x30s did but still work great and the front still looks new.

• Like 1

For racing we run  ether the Millville or Washuagal. The Millville is great in soft to intermediate terrain but isn't that great in rocks. The Washuagal is a good all around tire and is what we go with if we're not sure which way to go.  

The IBex is an awesome extreme tire that we use for extreme racing, but it flexes too much in faster sections to be a good race tire for normal racing. 

Also an interesting thing. With the Kendas best to run a 19" mousse. I know it sounds weird, but we where told this by the Kenda rep and it works well

Edited by ccullins
  • Like 4

The Millville-2 is a fantastic tire. Works in all terrain accept steep soft dirt. Will retain nearly full traction even when very worn out. Very good feel.

The Washougal is also great, and is even softer. Very good feel, and really good for rocks and silt.

The big block tires have the knobs way too close and way to hard to be of any use in soft terrain. They are for bad tarmac and fireroads. They have a very stiff carcass, so the feel is bad. This is what DOT tires are like, by design. The carcass must withstand high friction (tarmac) for 30 min (high heat), which automatically makes it a huge compromise (no feel).

My favorite 'compromise' tire right now is the new Dunlop AT81 (not the RC version). Has very good characteristics across the board, and pretty good feel. Very long lasting. 

.....but the Washougal-2 is my favorite tire. Run with Tubliss at 6lb and it will not spin unless you want it to......but it wears pretty fast. I would say 5 agressive rides. Maybe only one ride, in racing conditions......

• Like 2

If you are going to use Kenda there is only 2 choices for those conditions. Southwick and Washougal and if it was my choice it would be the Southwick. I have run both of them and also the Millville. Most of my riding is sandy loam and the Millville is garbage in it.

• Like 1

Marty; you mentioned wet clay which is something I have found to need a good cleaning tire in my experience. In years past I found the Michelin S12 to be the most predictable in clay but it also depended on where they were manufactured. This would have been in cross country racing in the mountains and would have a variety of terrain, last year at the Oldtimers MX meet at Washougal (which is a very slimy clay) we had a downpour and I was running a Bridgestone M59 front and a Pirelli M16, disaster! They work good when it's dry or lightly watered but not in the muck! My experience only.

Tom

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David C said:

I ran the Bridgestone 403 404 for a while, liked them a lot. Then tried the x30 and x40 which are just as good.
Then on a whim bought a pair of Pirelli m16s, and I have to say the best tires I have ever had. Rear knobs rounded about the same as the time as the x30s did but still work great and the front still looks new.

Apparently, we have the same taste in tires.  403/404 were my go to.  Regretted every single time I strayed from that.  Currently running the X30s on the KTM and an X30 front and Sedona MX907 on the rear of the 300rr.  All four Tubliss.  Did not like the Sedona @ 9 PSIS at all, but it's awesome at 6.  Rode another 300rr with a GT Fatty in the front.  Kinda liked the "big" feel of it.  Will try it next time. 

All in all, X30s are hard to beat.  

Edited by freebird_78
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, hammer41 said:

If you are going to use Kenda there is only 2 choices for those conditions. Southwick and Washougal and if it was my choice it would be the Southwick. I have run both of them and also the Millville. Most of my riding is sandy loam and the Millville is garbage in it.

Ditto, I have run Southwicks for years, they don't chunk, and mud, sand loam, wet roots there isn't a tire that works much better, cornering traction is excellent, this tire also keeps getting good traction after the edge is gone. I use the Washougal when I go south and ride hard slick terrain, the Southwick and Washougal fronts look identical and perform vary close to the same.

Give the Southwicks a shot.  

Edited by ktm300

Well I spoke to a local gun today who say's to use a Washuagal so thats what I ordered. They look good but I did notice the front is a 2 very soft rubber. Race in two weeks so will post up how they go going to put my son on the Southwick and compare. 

MM 

• Like 3

On 11/06/2017 at 8:42 PM, ccullins said:

Also an interesting thing. With the Kendas best to run a 19" mousse. I know it sounds weird, but we where told this by the Kenda rep and it works well

Tried to fit my normal 120/90 mousse to a Kenda  110/100 it has a way smaller bag than a Dunlop or Bridgestone there is no way I can get this mousse in this tyre. Lucky I have a 110/100 mousse at home. Looking forward to racing on the tyres they look great and I can see how the 19' would fit well. 

• Like 1

The 110/100 will fit in there but she'll be still, a used mousse would be better, the Kenda insides are smallish. I'm running a Nitro mousse in the rear and the feel is good, Nitro has more sizes than some others.  

Just pulled an equilibrium off of my bike and installed an ibex. The equilibrium made the brake feel very on/off on loose steep downhill. The Ibex was a good progressive feel. Was going to install a Sedona 907 but decided the sidewall was much to stiff for a xtrainer.

Ran the IBEX for 500 miles and really loved it.  Too soft though for any road work I think.

Anyone try the Kenda Parker? 

Jimmy Lewis and Chilly White both had very positive reviews on the Parker

http://dirtbiketest.com/product-tests/kenda-parker-dt-tires/#1TBO5v26ZLTiSWFs.97

http://www.enduro360.com/2010/12/22/products-tested/product-tests/kenda-parker-dt-tire-review/

Edited by firffighter